Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 18 2012, 12:12 AM   #16
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Since they have only a little over 10,000 likes... I wouldn't worry about this one way or the other. Frakes will be dead before they reach their goal of 1 million.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 12:17 AM   #17
Sumghai
Lieutenant

batboy853 wrote: View Post
so what is your gripe?
Misleading people into thinking that they have rights to the artwork / videos.

In the Ent-E warp CGI clip they plagarised, people were asking them in the comments to do a version with the Luna class. The page admin's response was along the lines of "thank you for liking our video, we have a team working on it."

Of course, this was before they got called out on it and pulled it down from their page.

Trolling is done for the lulz - I have a legitimate concern.
Old October 18 2012, 12:40 AM   #18
batboy853
Lieutenant

Well my advice, since right now they dont have anything on their page claiming that anything they have on there is of their own artwork, ie plagarism, i would let it go. maybe they do have a cgi team, maybe they dont. we all know that not all groups are going to post things until they are ready to, which is why their youtube page only has one video on it.

their page says no where that they are planning on making the show it is solely a lets get the likes to get CBS's attention that the fans want this show.

if you feel this is a copyright infringement on CBS thing, well i would read the copyright thread and maybe get in touch with the people there. in fact the designer of the titan itself is on this forum, maybe get in touch with him, after all, all recreations by your law would mean that they would have to ask him if they could create a 3d model. which he has even posted to that facebook group if you look down far enough.

and going even further down you see a post from December 9th 2010 "The possibility for Star Trek Titan this video was made possible by Uuris" which i think is the video you are talking about.

if you feel that posting images, or youtube videos are wrong on facebook take that up with facebook?

Last edited by batboy853; October 18 2012 at 12:54 AM.
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 01:17 AM   #19
Sumghai
Lieutenant

I'd limit my inquiry at first to the book cover artists, clarify that the Titan fan group has indeed sought permission to repost the cover art.

I know Sean Tourangeau - we traded passing comments just now. Getting him involved wouldn't be necessary at this stage.
Old October 18 2012, 09:34 AM   #20
batboy853
Lieutenant

dude, its just facebook.
Old October 18 2012, 04:06 PM   #21
Tom
Rear Admiral

Ok so there not taking money via kickstarter then, thats good. They are a little deceitful in there claims though from what i can see, that kinda rubs me the wrong way but hey smart fans will see it for what it is.

dude, its just facebook.
Or Facelessbook in this case. LOL
Old October 18 2012, 04:16 PM   #22
batboy853
Lieutenant

well again its just a petition group, on facebook, what else do you expect it to be?
Old October 18 2012, 04:26 PM   #23
Tom
Rear Admiral

Well they should not tell fans they have certain actors aboard when they don't, they also said thet CBS would approve there production if they got a million likes, cleary that is not true either.

Maybe they just don't have things worded the right way, but if I were a general Star Trek fan and saw that, I would think "Oh wow! CBS will make this series with Jon, Marina, Tim and Wil if they get a million hits' i would get excited. Just a bit misleading is all. But again, as long as there not ripping people off..

Last edited by Tom; October 18 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 05:18 PM   #24
batboy853
Lieutenant

but they don't have actors saying that they are on board with them... they may have "liked" actors on facebook, but doesn't say they are involved. they also have firefly liked, but firefly isnt going to be in the show?

i just think that this is all just fuss about nothing..
Old October 18 2012, 05:55 PM   #25
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

If its been pasted on youtube for all to see and hear how is it damaging anyone in anyway? Besides, do you actually know whether they never got permission? Not to sound like a dick but you need a hobby, this is a waste of your time.
Old October 18 2012, 05:59 PM   #26
batboy853
Lieutenant

Alpha Romeo wrote: View Post
If its been pasted on youtube for all to see and hear how is it damaging anyone in anyway? Besides, do you actually know whether they never got permission? Not to sound like a dick but you need a hobby, this is a waste of your time.
Old October 18 2012, 07:37 PM   #27
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Passing someone else's work off as your own is bad form.
Old October 18 2012, 07:58 PM   #28
batboy853
Lieutenant

true, but if you actually look at the page there is no where on there where they are doing that. the video, was given credit the first time they posted it, and the book cover they never said they created and owned, so where are they saying what they post is their own?
Old October 18 2012, 08:29 PM   #29
Captain Atkin
Commander

true, but if you actually look at the page there is no where on there where they are doing that. the video, was given credit the first time they posted it, and the book cover they never said they created and owned, so where are they saying what they post is their own?
Regardless... the artist should always be given full credit for their work. Some acknowledgment should be made by the people who run that Facebook page. Especially when it is fan-made work, which is often done for free. Everytime they posted that video, they should have given it's original creator credit - not just once. If they are posting the work of others to push a personal pet project, they should be acknowledging those artists and asking permission to use their work.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:44 PM   #30
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Agreed!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote