New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 16 2012, 11:35 PM   #91
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Re: The Big Bang Theory Season 6 Discussion

Forbin wrote: View Post
tighr wrote: View Post

I was thinking about this the other day: Everyone refers to Los Angeles Int'l Airport as LAX. I can't think of another airport in the United States that is commonly referred to by its airport code. The name "LAX" is even prominently featured with block letters outside the airport.
JFK in NYC.

Edit: Drat, beaten to it.
Add SFO to that list.

As for the show, I agree with others who say it peaked in the third season or so. The show still has funny moments but it's now more or less another relationshippy sitcom that just happens to have nerds/geeks as main characters.
Old October 17 2012, 02:05 AM   #92
Brolan
Commodore

People in Minnesota refer to the airport as MSP.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 04:55 AM   #93
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

I was thinking about this the other day: Everyone refers to Los Angeles Int'l Airport as LAX. I can't think of another airport in the United States that is commonly referred to by its airport code. The name "LAX" is even prominently featured with block letters outside the airport.
The Dallas-Fort Worth airport is called DFW, same as it's code
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 01:37 PM   #94
Finn
Vice Admiral

^ I think Tighr is talking about the airport codes widely using by people well beyond the city. Lot of people who never have been to LA know the airport as "LAX". You can't say the same for the Dallas-Fort Worth airport. BWI may be familiar to those who travel a lot, but I'll admit JFK and LAX are probably the only two that are well known to people who have never been to either cities.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 11:36 PM   #95
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

what about Cincinnati local International Terminal?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 02:23 AM   #96
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

That reminds me of that stupid sketch on Saturday Night Live, "The Californians". A fake soap opera about people from LA and the surfer accent, always giving driving directions.

And yes, that's how I'd give those directions too... "Take the 405 from LAX up to the 10, then take the PCH to Malibu."

Well not that anyone should be expected to know considering it isn't a very large city, but the Richmond International Airport in Virginia is commonly called the RIC around here.
Old October 18 2012, 02:49 AM   #97
Forbin
Admiral

And Newark/Liberty International Airport is know in NJ as, simply, "Noork"
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 03:36 AM   #98
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Yoda wrote: View Post
I'm a little undecided on the "Foothill Freeway" example, but the ambiguity seems to hinge more on dropping the "freeway/blvd" portions than the definite article.

But for Interstates, having a "the" seems a bit silly and it doesn't resolve any ambiguity that I can tell. I wouldn't say "Go north on the 15." I have multiple problems with that. There's the already discussed point of it being "Interstate 15" and not "The Interstate 15," of course. But, I'm not digging the "go north" part either. That is, Interstates are labeled with directions already. So I would say "take 15 North." "North" being part of the proper noun. I-15N spends a lot of time going northeast, and I imagine occasionally turns southward briefly as topography demands.
It is because most of those highways/freeways were built on top of existing roads/highways that had proper names long before they had numbers. So people transitioned from saying "The ______ highway" to "The __."
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:15 AM   #99
propita
Rear Admiral

Most of LA's freeways were named for where they terminated, away from downtown, that is. That's why the freeways are Santa Monica, Pasadena, Long Beach, Santa Ana, San Bernardino, Hollywood, etc. Then there's the freeways that don't go through downtown; they get other names (Foothill, San Gabriel River Freeway,etc).
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 07:25 AM   #100
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

In the Bay Area we had the Nimitz (880) and the Bayshore (101). We don't use "the" with the numbers for some reason.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 08:45 AM   #101
chrisspringob
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
The cost of attending graduate school for a master's degree in physics varies according to the program and institution. For example, enrolling in Columbia University's master's program in physics costs more than $18,000 per semester. Meanwhile, the same type of program at a state university, such as Stony Brook University, may only cost a little over $8,000 per year for a New York resident.References:

Columbia University: Student Financial Services Tuition & Fees
Stony Brook University: Office of Financial Aid and Scholarship Services
Resources:

American Institute of Physics: Home
That's 6 to ten years depending how far they took it.

2 semesters a year, 6 years, 18 grand a semester... $216,000.
That's not how it works in real life though. No one in the hard sciences like physics actually pays to go to grad school. The supposed tuition ends up getting covered by the department, and they end up paying you a stipend either for TAing, or for doing research (or both).

In any case, the show isn't trying to be realistic about their careers. According to The Staircase Implementation, they've all been at Caltech since ~5 years before the show started, for a total of something like 10 years now, even though they were in their mid/late 20s in Season 1? When did these people go to grad school? Why are they working in non-tenure jobs at the same university for 10 years?

That's not how academic jobs work. If you're on a research track, you go to grad school, get your PhD, spend ~5 years or so in two different postdoc jobs or so before getting a tenured faculty position somewhere (if you're lucky). You don't spend a full decade at one institution without tenure. Maybe that'll happen in the rare case, but it wouldn't happen for all four of these guys (well.....three, since Howard is in a different situation without a PhD). Why hasn't any of them moved on to another job, or applied for a faculty job by now? It's sort of like Riker on TNG, remaining first officer of the Enterprise for 15 years.

But it doesn't matter. Like I said, they're not trying to be realistic about this stuff, so just it's probably best just to ignore it.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 01:06 PM   #102
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

They haven't moved on because, in case no one noticed, they are all emotionally stunted. It would be very hard for them to change work places (yet alone seating places for some).
Old October 18 2012, 04:19 PM   #103
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

Anyone think it is time that Raj lost his quirk of not being able to talk to women? That is getting old.
Old October 18 2012, 07:29 PM   #104
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Stiletto wrote: View Post
Anyone think it is time that Raj lost his quirk of not being able to talk to women? That is getting old.
Agreed. At this point, it's just getting in the way.
Old October 18 2012, 07:40 PM   #105
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

lately it seems like he's drunk all the time just so he gets some lines.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote