Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 18 2012, 03:44 AM   #736
Ghost Bones
Captain

Re: General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

You negative lot. Give Ryback a chance, he's still fresh and potentially entertaining. Wait for him to conclusively become a boring failure in matches, then complain. He's not had a proper match, that's what makes it interesting. I'm sure he'll probably be awful and people will look back on his HiaC like the worst of late WCW. But it's not happened yet. Be optimistic, like me.
Old October 18 2012, 02:19 PM   #737
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
You negative lot. Give Ryback a chance, he's still fresh and potentially entertaining. Wait for him to conclusively become a boring failure in matches, then complain. He's not had a proper match, that's what makes it interesting. I'm sure he'll probably be awful and people will look back on his HiaC like the worst of late WCW. But it's not happened yet. Be optimistic, like me.
You have a lot more faith in the current WWE product than I do! See, I tend to approach professional wrestling (American pro-wrestling, in particular) with cautious optimism. I expect things to be crappy at times, but I also expect something to happen that will blow minds. The adage, "When it's good, it's really good" is so fitting.

TNA has done a complete 180 in the past year. It's been incredible how much the product has improved, especially when it comes to story telling. The Ace's and 8's reveal, in which we found out Devon was a member, was a shocking revelation! They actually managed to fool everybody, in a day and age where the dirt sheets usually know this kind of stuff in advance.

I honestly feel that WWE's lack of competition and ten-fold increase in merchandise profit in the last few years, has caused the company to slack off when it comes to good wrestling matches and storytelling.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 05:53 AM   #738
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Interesting interview conducted with Paul Heyman.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/W...le_66037.shtml

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 05:30 PM   #739
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
I don't know if it's being negative or realistic in this case, and this is coming from the guy who consistently defends Smackdown--that show may not be as glitzy as Raw or have the top tier guys all the time but it's actually a decent show most of the time.

I stand by what I said about Ryberg. Beating local talent and bottom-tier guys in 2 minute matches doesn't make him anywhere near qualified for a world title match. IMO he was never fresh and not very entertaining once the "wow, he can Samoan drop two 125 lb. wrestlers" newness wore off. If the WWE wanted to toss a new guy into the mix for the shock factor, I'd have no problem with Damien Sandow or Antonio Cesaro in that role--both of them are miles beyond Ryberg in terms of overall entertainment factor plus in-ring ability and mic skills.
Old October 19 2012, 07:52 PM   #740
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

A part of my stance on Ryback is also that his whole entire gimmick is obviously a riff or rehash of Goldberg. Not really gotten into him one way or another because of that.

EDIT:

I found this to be a very interesting interview. I was previous under the impression that Jericho was one of those few guys who Vince basically had on a "call me if you really need me" basis, but from the tone here, that would appear not to be the case.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/W...le_66059.shtml

Last edited by Admiral_Young; October 20 2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old October 22 2012, 11:55 PM   #741
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I guess I'll be getting this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=216wbicjYzs

Old October 23 2012, 04:32 PM   #742
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I found this to be a very interesting interview. I was previous under the impression that Jericho was one of those few guys who Vince basically had on a "call me if you really need me" basis, but from the tone here, that would appear not to be the case.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/W...le_66059.shtml
Yeah, I've sen this elsewhere. It basically sounds like Jericho is saying that he's reached a point where he's pursued his wrestling dreams to the extent that he's content doing so. If Vince really needs him (not that Vince would ever admit to really needing any particular performer) that he can make it worth his while.

Jericho is no Rock, but he has his own projects in which he can continue to make shit-loads of money without putting his body on the line every night. Jericho has three kids that he may want to be able to pick up and cradle or contine to play with in his 50s and 60s.

Something also to consider is that with Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit, Jericho has lost most of his closest friends in the business to the perils of the business.
Old October 23 2012, 08:09 PM   #743
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Also, this reminds me it has long since past September...has anyone seen any mention about Jericho's third book? It was supposed to originally come out last month as I reported in the other thread a few months ago. I haven't seen anything on it for a long while and frankly totally forgot about it until now. I couldn't even find the listing on Amazon Canada any more.

Old October 23 2012, 08:30 PM   #744
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

I seem to recall a tweet from Jericho not that long ago (a couple weeks?) where he was just getting some real writing time in.
Old October 23 2012, 08:39 PM   #745
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Perhaps it's just delayed then. Man. I wish there was something decent to talk about LOL. Another Raw that I didn't watch last night. Was it any good?

Old October 23 2012, 08:46 PM   #746
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Hard to tell, I like the direction they're taking Kane and DBD. I however stopped watching about midway through in favor of the Presidential debate.
Old October 23 2012, 08:49 PM   #747
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I'd imagine the ratings were down during the debate. I did read something that Cena and AJ were in a relationship (obviously kayfabe...I really haven't been watching or following news) and that Vicky was named Raw GM or something? Is that right? Oh dear.

Old October 23 2012, 09:15 PM   #748
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Vicky's title is "Managing Supervisor". She can apparently make matches just like a GM or whatever. She did not appear with Dolph Ziggler or even mention him after her promotion as far as I could tell.

Vince even said: "She's a Managing Supervisor. Even I don't even know what that means."

EDIT: I found this blurb about Jericho's book.

...Jericho revealed that his next book will be released in February 2014...
Linky

Last edited by Satyrquaze; October 24 2012 at 04:10 PM. Reason: updated info
Satyrquaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 05:51 PM   #749
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Caught up on this week's Raw last night. Aside from the tag team match, Gabriel/Cesaro and Bryan/Ziggler, that was a pretty mediocre effort especially considering it was the Raw before a PPV. I actually fell asleep during the lumberjack match and didn't catch the end but it didn't sound like I missed anything.

I'm still not sold on Ryback/Punk and Sheamus/Show isn't any better. The AJ storyline makes zero sense because it blatantly violates the WWE's internal continuity as well as anything resembling logic--AJ is kayfabe single, Cena is kayfabe single (they've never brought up his real-life divorce AFAIK), and somehow their dinner date is a violation of WWE policies? All this while Vickie with Edge a few years back on Smackdown was perfectly acceptable. Really? I fully expect some retcons as part of wrestling angles, but this was borderline insulting to the audience's intelligence.

It also doesn't help that I can't stand Vickie Guerrero and want to fast-forward every time she appears. Between her, Ryberg and pretty much zero interesting angles aside from Team Hell No, the WWE is doing a fantastic job of driving me away.
Old October 24 2012, 06:00 PM   #750
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

"Excuse Me!!!!!"