Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old October 15 2012, 09:27 PM   #16
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Comic Prequel: Star Trek Countdown to Darkness

ralph wrote: View Post
Ok, KingDaniel. But how would they explain it in a film? In ST2009 Spock Prime explained about Nero by vulcan mind meld and many people didn´t understand. Unless it has many flashbacks.
What needs to be established? Mitchell and Kirk were friends in TOS, they crossed the Great Barrier and Mitchell's eyes went funny and he got Telepathic powers. There's really nothing of Mitchell's history that needs to be explained, and they don't even need to make Mitchell and Kirk old friends.

He could just be sitting at a station on the Bridge without any introduction other than Kirk calling out his name and rank and asking for a status, and whatever causes Gary Mitchell to become the Villian happens.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:46 PM   #17
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I explained my theory a few months ago. If Cumberbatch is a shapeshifting Captain Garth or Trelane, his first meeting with Kirk could be masquerading as Gary Mitchell. Kirk then realizes the being is a shapeshifter and tells it: "You're not real. My friend Gary died months ago!" No need for anyone to have read the IDW comic. A simple, throwaway easter egg.

Of course, if Cumberbatch is Trelane, perhaps he is also Koloth?

That comic cover image is so blurry, it's impossible to discern much from it. I tried enlarging it. Allyn says he saw a clearer version, IIRC.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 10:56 PM   #18
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Whoever it is it's someone in a gold shirt Starfleet uniform. The person's face is half covered in darkness (appears to be a starfield) and half in the light. It makes the guy look malevolent. It doesn't really look like Chris Pine but it's so blurry it's hard to tell.
Old October 15 2012, 11:21 PM   #19
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
Hmmm. He looks like Lokai from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.
Yes. It does. And that could be awesome.
Old October 16 2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Hmmm. He looks like Lokai from Let That Be Your Last Battlefield.
Yes. It does. And that could be awesome.
While I can appreciate the allegorical aspects of that episode, and appreciate the "Literary Science Fiction" feel to that story (as if it was a short story written by Ray Bradbury in a Science Fiction Anthology magazine), I can't help but think those half-black/half-white faces wouldn't quite work in a major motion picture.

But, yeah -- I agree that the story told in "LTBYLB" could be a great movie, but if executed in a slightly different manner.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 02:03 AM   #21
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

While I can appreciate the allegorical aspects of that episode, and appreciate the "Literary Science Fiction" feel to that story (as if it was a short story written by Ray Bradbury in a Science Fiction Anthology magazine), I can't help but think those half-black/half-white faces wouldn't quite work in a major motion picture.

But, yeah -- I agree that the story told in "LTBYLB" could be a great movie, but if executed in a slightly different manner.
Really, there was a lot of stuff in the Countdown leading up to the last movie that wasn't in the film or even referenced. The cover of this comic might just indicate that something to do with LTBYLB is in the comic.

But yeah, that would be a great movie. And I wouldn't change a thing.
Old October 16 2012, 07:01 PM   #22
Shilliam Watner
Commander

I enlarged the comic cover and you can definitely see the Enterprise on the left side of the cover headed towards (or coming from) what appears to be a object above the Entrrprise shaped just like the doomsday machine. Go check it out and enlarge it. There is no doubt!!

Last edited by Shilliam Watner; October 16 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Shilliam Watner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:20 PM   #23
ralph
Captain

I saw it too. I saw something that looks like a nascelle and a disc, but, in my opinion, it´s not Enterprise.
Old October 16 2012, 07:21 PM   #24
KirkusOveractus
Captain

Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus

Sindatur wrote: View Post
ralph wrote: View Post
Ok, KingDaniel. But how would they explain it in a film? In ST2009 Spock Prime explained about Nero by vulcan mind meld and many people didn´t understand. Unless it has many flashbacks.
What needs to be established? Mitchell and Kirk were friends in TOS, they crossed the Great Barrier and Mitchell's eyes went funny and he got Telepathic powers. There's really nothing of Mitchell's history that needs to be explained, and they don't even need to make Mitchell and Kirk old friends.

He could just be sitting at a station on the Bridge without any introduction other than Kirk calling out his name and rank and asking for a status, and whatever causes Gary Mitchell to become the Villian happens.
My thinking is that if it is Mitchell, he'll be on the ship commanded by Peter Weller, and that's the one that is affected and causes Mitchell to turn into the god-like person.

I still think the movie will somehow draw from the book "Heart of Darkness", and it will entail Mitchell becoming like a god to an alien race, with Kirk and crew assigned to find him and stop him.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:49 PM   #25
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

^
^^ I wouldn't mind seeing another retelling of Heart of Darkness -- this time in a major science fiction motion picture. It's been almost 35 years since the last major retelling (Apocalypse Now), and it would be interesting to see the story told against a sci-fi (i.e., "futuristic") backdrop.

However, I'm not sure if I want a Star Trek film to venture into the territory of retelling that story. If not done subtly enough, it may seem too obvious that's what they are trying to do (put a Star Trek spin on Heart of Darkness), and that could end up seeming trite.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 05:51 AM   #26
Kruezerman
Fleet Captain

Perhaps Gary survived the phaser blast? I mean, he was in between forms before he died, maybe that form kept him just enough alive so that he could escape?

That's my theory.
"Tonight's a special night."
Kruezerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 01:28 AM   #27
Procutus
Admiral

I'm actually getting intrigued by this prequel comic. Assuming that it will be available through Comixology.com, I may have to check this out.

I guess if Cumberbatch really IS Mitchell, then this four-part story may just give that away.
Old October 18 2012, 01:53 AM   #28
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
I still think the movie will somehow draw from the book "Heart of Darkness", and it will entail Mitchell becoming like a god to an alien race, with Kirk and crew assigned to find him and stop him.
I love the smell of phasers in the morning!
Old October 18 2012, 01:57 AM   #29
The Wormhole
Admiral

Procutus wrote: View Post
I guess if Cumberbatch really IS Mitchell, then this four-part story may just give that away.
Logically speaking, the identity of Cumberbatch's character will be offically revealed before issue 1 of this series hits shelves.
Old October 18 2012, 06:18 AM   #30
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

I love Benedict. Just as an actor and a person, he has this presence that is intoxicating.

I'd be disapointed if JJ was doing a Khan rehash, doesn't need doing IMHO, Montalban did it perfectly the first time, perfectly the second time. Although, theres no telling what JJ will do. However, a Gary Mitchell retelling would be pretty awesome.

I enjoyed the countdown to the previous movie, got my Star Trek mojo back aftert losing it in the early 2000s. Hope this is as good.

Also, if it is a doomsday machine story would be pretty sweet too. We could have Weller as Commodore Decker and Cumberbatch as the physical manipulative manifestation of the doomsday machine that works as a mind of honey trap for planets and/or civilisations that the planet killer has been programmed to seek out and destroy.

Sorry, got away from me there.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote