RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,144
Posts: 5,434,093
Members: 24,936
Currently online: 513
Newest member: davidhan

TrekToday headlines

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 17 2012, 12:09 AM   #1
Sumghai
Lieutenant
 
Sumghai's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

I've been following the recent fan campaigning CBS for a potential ST: Titan TV series for a wee bit now.

A while ago, the page admins posted on their Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekTitan) and YouTube a CGI video of the Ent-E going into warp. Amidst glowing praises by rabid fans, a YouTube user immediately revealed that A) the animation was a fan creation and B) he was the original artist and they stole the video from him.

After being called out on this, as well as not giving credit to the artist, the video was pulled (or at least, made private).

More recently, the Titan fan page admins posted this:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Again, no attribution or credit given to the original artist(s), and an image lookup revealed that it was cover art from an upcoming ST novel.

I've bought these issues to the attention of the page admins, who have so far deleted my comments.

Thoughts? Or am I making mountains out of molehills?
__________________
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Sumghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 12:20 AM   #2
Count Zero
Decidedly something
 
Count Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Land of Awesome
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

I don't know but I think you're posting this in the wrong section of the board. I'm moving it to fan productions.
__________________
"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 02:00 AM   #3
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

I think they need to educate themselves a bit about permissions and attribution. "Plagiarism" isn't the appropriate term here unless they claim to have animated or painted those things themselves. My guess is that they don't see the difference between what they're doing and about a thousand videos at YouTube that use CG and model shots from the Star Trek movies (which is also not necessarily legally okay, but it's widespread).
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 04:54 AM   #4
Sumghai
Lieutenant
 
Sumghai's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Count Pony wrote: View Post
I don't know but I think you're posting this in the wrong section of the board. I'm moving it to fan productions.
Okie doke.

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I think they need to educate themselves a bit about permissions and attribution. "Plagiarism" isn't the appropriate term here unless they claim to have animated or painted those things themselves. My guess is that they don't see the difference between what they're doing and about a thousand videos at YouTube that use CG and model shots from the Star Trek movies (which is also not necessarily legally okay, but it's widespread).
I'll admit "plagarism" might not be the optimal choice of words here, although I did so based on past experiences...
Aside from being a Trekker, I'm an Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL) who regularly posts models and creations on Flickr. The general culture of Flickr is that if you posted something on your "photostream", you are in effect declaring you are the original artist, even if you don't explicitly say so.

Now, some inexperienced kids would go download other people's LEGO creation photos and reupload them onto their own stream. Most use lame excuses like "I didn't know there was a favourite button" or "I thought it was cool, so I'll save them for myself", although there has been the odd case of said kids claiming ownership of the photos.

Eventually, a whole bunch of us grown-ups were fed up with this, and started a Flickr group called Brick~Busters that would identify and screencap these kids (dubbed "swipers") as part of a name-and-shame campaign - if the publicity didn't get them to repent and remove the images, we would send Flickr an infringement report and watch the admins take the photos down.
I suppose social sites like Facebook work differently to photo/artwork sharing sites like Flickr and DeviantArt. A pity there isn't a proper reporting mechanism on FB.


Interestingly, the Titan fan admins finally responded by claiming that they did have permission from the "artist's agent but not direct contact". My response, of course, is to ask them why didn't they post a disclaimer in the first place.
__________________
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Sumghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 06:40 AM   #5
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

I have a serious problem with this group. They clearly have no clue what they are doing. And they are duping people into giving them money, so they can get more "likes" on their Facebook page!

A total scam in my book.

Alec
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Sumghai
Lieutenant
 
Sumghai's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Linnear wrote: View Post
I have a serious problem with this group. They clearly have no clue what they are doing. And they are duping people into giving them money, so they can get more "likes" on their Facebook page!

A total scam in my book.
They've basically told me that if I had any more questions, I should just email them and not post on the FB wall for all to see - looks like they're trying to internalize and quell any dissent.

Perhaps somebody should email CBS about this? I've heard that whilst the company (probably) has ambivalent attitudes towards fan productions, they'll definitely clamp down on peeps misusing Trek IP (be it selling knockoff merch or bogus TV campaigns)
__________________
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Sumghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 12:14 PM   #7
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

All they are doing is getting people to 'like for a STAR TREK TITAN series starring Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis and Tim Russ' if they get a million likes.

[COLOR=#000000]
[COLOR=#000000]We are a group that is campaigning for a new Star Trek series based after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis following the mission of Captain William T Riker aboard the USS Titan a ship mentioned in Star Trek: Nemesis but never seen.

Our goal is to gain 1 Million plus followers on Facebook which we will then contact CBS for the series to be made we are able to gain funding but until we reach 1 million followers we will not be able to start production as Cys can be made.[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
Even if they are genuine in their intentions they are going about it completely the wrong way.

Is it a petition or a project? There is no clarity whatsoever.

They will not say WHO they are and what they are doing, so they almost certainly can't be industry professionals.

Compare that to the Renegade project who list personnel, and have OF GODS AND MEN under their belt, whatevr you may think of it.

I asked who they are and what exactly this was. They deleted the comment. I unliked the page - this is either a con or they're completely deluded, I'm sorry to say.

I'd love a Sirtis/Frakes Titan series hopefully someone will do it someday.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 02:12 PM   #8
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

A Titan series is never going to happen. What do they need funding for? Are they planning to make the show themselves? do they have any production experience? Sounds like either dreamers or swindlers to me. Looks like the guy putting this on is out of Denmark. I can tell you that none of the actors he has listed to star in the series is on board with this, so that's a lie and i'm also sure he has not talked to CBS.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries

Last edited by Tom; October 17 2012 at 02:24 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 02:25 PM   #9
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Sumghai wrote: View Post

I'll admit "plagarism" might not be the optimal choice of words here, although I did so based on past experiences...
Aside from being a Trekker, I'm an Adult Fan of Lego (AFOL) who regularly posts models and creations on Flickr. The general culture of Flickr is that if you posted something on your "photostream", you are in effect declaring you are the original artist, even if you don't explicitly say so.

Now, some inexperienced kids would go download other people's LEGO creation photos and reupload them onto their own stream. Most use lame excuses like "I didn't know there was a favourite button" or "I thought it was cool, so I'll save them for myself", although there has been the odd case of said kids claiming ownership of the photos.

Eventually, a whole bunch of us grown-ups were fed up with this, and started a Flickr group called Brick~Busters that would identify and screencap these kids (dubbed "swipers") as part of a name-and-shame campaign - if the publicity didn't get them to repent and remove the images, we would send Flickr an infringement report and watch the admins take the photos down.
I suppose social sites like Facebook work differently to photo/artwork sharing sites like Flickr and DeviantArt. A pity there isn't a proper reporting mechanism on FB.
So you guys are a bunch of adults playing with LEGOs bullying kids who save your pictures to their streams because they don't know any better? Classy.

As for the original topic, why would you report this to CBS? Are these people making money off the Titan project? Because if they aren't I don't see how or why CBS would care about any of this.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 03:37 PM   #10
Tom
Rear Admiral
 
Tom's Avatar
 
Location: In your Mind!
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Well they are taking money (kickstarter, selling merchandise) indicating that they will be producing a show that supposably CBS would approve of if they got 1 million 'likes' (good luck with that BTW lol). Thing is, who are they? they have no past productions or anything showing that they can produce. They are lieing about the cast participation, I know that for a fact. To me it looks like this one guy from Denmark who is either a big dreamer and/or con artist trying to dupe Star Trek fans.
__________________
AP - Star Trek: Renegades - Starring Walter Koenig, Tim Russ, Robert Picardo, Sean Young & many more - Coming 2014 - www.startrekrenegades.com
https://www.facebook.com/STRtheSeries
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

How much money have they collected? the Kickstarter link on their home page doesn't work.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 06:06 PM   #12
batboy853
Lieutenant
 
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Im not seeing anything on that page related to collecting money to me it looks like any other facebook group. Yeah they show images of T-shirts, but no where to buy them, and mention kickstart but I think they are talking about kickstart as in collecting likes. like a petition to cbs like a "hey you said you wanted viewers, here's 1 million viewers" sort of thing.

and with just every other facebook group they post images related to their topic, they dont claim to be the original owners. like right now on my main feed i'm seeing people who have posted images of the peanuts gang, various memes, they aren't the original author....

In addition facebook's policy is if you have the original artwork, like original image file you created then you can claim to own the painting and then facebook would remove the image, same with flickr and every other image service.

I think you guys are taking facebook way too seriously.
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Captain Atkin
Commander
 
Captain Atkin's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
How much money have they collected? the Kickstarter link on their home page doesn't work.
It looks like they don't have a Kickstarter page. I did a search on the Kickstarter site, and found nothing. If they did have one, Kickstarter probably shut it down.
Captain Atkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 11:26 PM   #14
Sumghai
Lieutenant
 
Sumghai's Avatar
 
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
Is it a petition or a project? There is no clarity whatsoever.

They will not say WHO they are and what they are doing, so they almost certainly can't be industry professionals
Their description claims that they have a CGI team making campaign videos, as well as the expertise to do all the SFX for the actual TV show.

Quite frankly, given that the only video they have is a whole bunch of fading text (their Ent-E warp CGI vid was outed as stolen from another YT user), not sure if these guys are serious or screwing with Trek fans.

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
So you guys are a bunch of adults playing with LEGOs bullying kids who save your pictures to their streams because they don't know any better? Classy.
The word is building, thank you very much.

The BB group (http://www.flickr.com/groups/brick-busters/) started out after an AFOL's creation was submitted by a kid as an entry for an official LEGO contest, which he subsequently won. Once we passed word through to LEGO Legal regarding the actual builder, Legal stripped the kid of the accolade, much to his distress.

Since then we've been working with both LEGO's Creation Lab and CUUSOO admins in taking down plagarized models, as well as our usual stint on Flickr. The community appreciate our efforts very much.

But I digress.

Captain Atkin wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
How much money have they collected? the Kickstarter link on their home page doesn't work.
It looks like they don't have a Kickstarter page. I did a search on the Kickstarter site, and found nothing. If they did have one, Kickstarter probably shut it down.
They've since stated they are going to nix their Kickstarter by using proceeds from their website ads to pay for more FB ads (and in turn, more likes).
__________________
Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
Sumghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 11:42 PM   #15
batboy853
Lieutenant
 
Re: Potential plagarism by ST: Titan TV series fan campaign?

so what is your gripe? they aren't collecting money, not profiting from it, so it seems like it is just like every other facebook group. and they aren't claiming the work they post is their own. so why are you trolling them?
batboy853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.