RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,704
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 441
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 5 2012, 03:54 PM   #16
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: Kerbal Space Program

I was ill recently so I didn't a chance to play, but I finally went on another interplanetary adventure yesterday and landed on Duna's moon, Ike.

I'm normally a vanilla player in the games that I play, but I'm really temped to download the rover mod and go on a low-G moon-buggy ride across Ike's mountains and valleys.

Old October 16 2012, 02:13 AM   #17
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

View Saturn0660's Twitter Profile

Almost most made it.. Landed just a ""little"" bit to hard..

Old October 16 2012, 01:22 PM   #18
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, 626m/s is a bit too fast. I try to keep my landings under 2m/s.

I undertook two interplanetary voyages recently, the first one to Eve. Eve is the game's crazy version of Venus, in that it's the second planet from the sun, is roughly the same size as your homeworld, and has very dense atmosphere. It's unlike Venus in that it's purple and has seas of mercury.

Eve is easy to land on but almost impossible to take off from again unless you've built a crazy-huge rocket, so I opted to remain in orbit and send a probe (i.e. an aeroplane fuselage with a parachute) down to the surface. Here it is entering the atmosphere over one of the mercury seas.

The probe landed safely at the foot of some mountains.

My next voyage was out to the gas giant of Jool, which is currently the largest body in the game's solar system. What I like about Jool is that it's just a bit smaller than the Earth, so this planet is the best at giving you the sense of scale of our own planet.

Being a gas giant, you can't actually land on it, so I ejected an empty fuel tank into the atmosphere for science.

The results were predictable. Yeah, science!

Jool has four moons, my voyage in the Jool system brought me close to two of them. This is from my closest pass of Vall, which seems to be some sort of ice moon. (This was actually before I ejected my empty fuel tanks.)

Next up is Laythe, the ocean moon. Laythe is the most hospitable body in the system due to its liquid water, oxygen atmosphere and reasonable gravity at 0.8G. There's not much land though, and what little there is are mountainous sand dunes.

Sadly, my craft doesn't have landing capabilities and almost certainly wouldn't have enough fuel to land and take off again. So it stays in orbit taking beauty shots.

After much fiddling and reloading, I did manage to land a probe on one of the few landmasses.

Old October 16 2012, 10:41 PM   #19
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

Ya, I ran out of fuel. Thats what I get for changing orbits TWICE..
tends to use up what you have left. But I gave it a full burn to the end.
Old October 17 2012, 01:25 PM   #20
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Yeah, getting into orbit with enough fuel to achieve your goal is the hardest trick to manage, especially for interplanetary voyages. But rockets to the Mun don't need to be that big or complex, as you can see in this video:

If you don't already know about him, Scott Manley is an excellent resource for KSP tutorials. He's also an astronomer or somesuch in real life, so he's not only an expert on the game, his videos also contain a lot of real-world space science.
Old October 17 2012, 02:10 PM   #21
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

Much better at the game then i am.. lol
Old December 3 2012, 07:45 AM   #22
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

About time.

Old December 4 2012, 03:20 PM   #23
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Congratulations! I must commend your resolve, landing safely on Mun without having the quicksave feature isn't something I even dared to try when I played the demo.

Now get them home safely to Kerbin.

By the way, if you're planning on getting the full game, it's better to get it sooner than later. They increase the price with every major update, and it went up by $5 the other day because they released version 0.18. It's worth it though, the latest release is amazing and finally allows you to dock ships to one another, and it allows you to build unmanned spacecraft. It completely redefines how I play the game.

This is a space station I started work on. I used an unmanned tug to bring it into a 200km 45° orbit, then the tug undocked and crashed back into the ocean.

Next up, I added the first solar array to power the station.

The latest addition is a crew module.

My rough plan for the station involves eight more trips to complete construction, and two additional trips to add crew.
Old December 5 2012, 12:26 AM   #24
Saturn0660
Rear Admiral

Indeed. I seemed like it was cheaper a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I saw it wrong. But now i see i need to get my ass in gear and buy this game. Also, if i remember right you get free updates.. So buying now gets you a full game for cheaper.

Quick question though.. Do you need "in game "money"" to buy parts? Or is it sandbox mode for building and launching?
Old December 5 2012, 05:16 AM   #25
sojourner
Admiral

Did they change the art style? those last 3 images look much less cartoonish and more Like NASA concept images.
Old December 5 2012, 02:46 PM   #26
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Saturn0660 wrote: View Post
Indeed. I seemed like it was cheaper a few weeks ago. I thought maybe I saw it wrong. But now i see i need to get my ass in gear and buy this game. Also, if i remember right you get free updates.. So buying now gets you a full game for cheaper.

Quick question though.. Do you need "in game "money"" to buy parts? Or is it sandbox mode for building and launching?
When you start a new game in the retail version you are presented with a choice between sandbox mode and career mode, but right now you can only pick sandbox mode. So even when they finally add the career mode, you'll still have the option to play in sandbox mode with unlimited funds and parts.

And yes, if you buy it now you'll get all future updates for free, up to and including version 1.0. I'm not sure if they'll continue to add features after that point like Minecraft does, but that's so far away that I'm not even sure if the devs know what their plans are. The next couple of updates sound very exciting though, they're planning to add minable resources and colonisation features. Longterm, they've discussed a desire to add additional solar systems and a procedurally generated galaxy the further out you go, sort of like Minecraft's infinite world. That may be pie in the sky thinking, but it would be incredible if true.

Snowjourner wrote: View Post
Did they change the art style? those last 3 images look much less cartoonish and more Like NASA concept images.
Yes, they updated the textures on most of the parts in the latest update, and the old engines and fuel tanks from the demo had a major makeover. The planet Kerbin also changed considerably in appearance. The Kerbals themselves are still quite cartoony, but that's rather fitting considering they're a race whose space program is based on trial and error and expendable astronauts.
Old December 5 2012, 11:03 PM   #27
sojourner
Admiral

LOL, just downloaded the demo. my first rocket had 3 big engines on the first stage with 3 tanks of fuel each. the second stage had the smaller engine with 2 fuel tanks. Launched and they ended up in deep space. time to read some tips and tricks.
Old December 7 2012, 10:36 PM   #28
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

See, it's easy to design a rocket capable of getting to the moon, the complicated bit is figuring out how to get there. And the really complicated bit is figuring out how to get there without smashing into it.

My space station is coming along. I attached another crew module, another solar array, and a docking hub, as well as sending a ship up to transfer two new crew members aboard. Sadly, you can't transfer crew internally yet, so they had to get out and spacewalk.

I'm getting better at docking, but there was a bit of a mishap with that second solar array. I somehow completely lost control of the tug and found myself careening towards the station. I managed to regain control at the last moment and fired RCS thrusters to change course. I flew past the station at high speed, missing it by only a meter or two. That's when I learned to stop attempting to take shortcuts while docking.

Old December 8 2012, 12:13 AM   #29
sojourner
Admiral

^pretty neat.

I've broken down and purchased the game. It's fun. I am more of a builder and get frustrated with the timing and orbital mechanics stuff, so I've installed mechjeb and working on installing ORDA to automate what I can.
Old December 8 2012, 03:13 PM   #30
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've considered getting MechJeb, but I've heard stories of people that have used the autopilot so much that they've forgotten how to fly altogether, so I've stayed away from it. I would like MechJeb's info displays to be added to the vanilla game, however. Being able to see how high my orbit is without constantly having to switch to the map view would be convenient.