Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 16 2012, 08:25 PM   #31
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Jimmy Savile

As Ian Hislop said, no one knew. People had heard rumours, there was gossip but no one actually knew, and if they did then they need to be questioned and brought up on charges.
Old October 16 2012, 09:29 PM   #32
flandry84
Captain

I know that there can be areas of life in which to be circumspect and that the idea that a man should not be prosecuted(or persecuted)by rumour.But fuck,a childrens show of all things!
Old October 16 2012, 11:13 PM   #33
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Perhaps the biggest question of all is(if you accept that everyone knew)is why they gave him a childrens show like "Jim'll fix it".

Chilling viewing on the re-run of HIGNFY last night when in a replayed clip of a previous Savile appearance,Ian Hislop asks Savile what he does in his "mobile home/caravan.
"Anyone I can."Savile replies deadpan.
*Shiver*
That's a very good point....if people knew, and it seems from what we were hearing it was common knowledge around the BBC for many many years, what he was doing, then they must have known the consequences of allowing him to host so many childrens shows.

Scary stuff indeed.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 08:50 AM   #34
Starkers
Admiral

But there's a difference between knowing and rumours. Clearly some people knew for sure, and they need to account for themselves, but for a lot of people they were just rumours.

I mean there are rumours that Jeremy Renner, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman and John Travolta are gay, but until somone steps forward with cast iron facts they remain just that, rumours.

I do find it curious that the media didn't go after him if there was a smidgen of a story there, it isn't like they haven't gone after high profile/ wealthy people before. Whether it's because his charity work somehow shielded him I don't know.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2012, 08:58 AM   #35
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

They should stop calling him a paedophile. I've said it before but it bears repeating. Someone who's interested in post-pubescent girls is not a paedophile.
Old October 17 2012, 10:22 AM   #36
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, that he is a sexual predator seems obvious, give what we've heard, but there's less evidence that he was a paedophile as such,although I see some bloke's sold his story to the Sun about how Jimmy molested him when he was 9 and went on Jim'll Fix It, and there was some chatter about a boy in one of the care homes. Also a couple of the girls mentioned may have been prepubescent, one was 12 I believe.

It did srike me as odd that he'd mess with young boys given his predaliction was for teenage girls, but I don't know enough about the mind of a sexual predator to know if that kind of thing would be "normal" behaviour.

I'd be very surprised if a minority of those coming out now aren't fakes jumping on the bandwagon

Old October 17 2012, 10:24 AM   #37
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I think someone who sold his story to the Sun is definitely taking the piss. As far as the police stats go, he wasn't interested in boys at all.
Old October 17 2012, 10:38 AM   #38
Starkers
Admiral

That certainly seems to be what the evidence suggests.

Old October 17 2012, 01:55 PM   #39
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
But there's a difference between knowing and rumours. Clearly some people knew for sure, and they need to account for themselves, but for a lot of people they were just rumours.

I mean there are rumours that Jeremy Renner, Tom Cruise, Hugh Jackman and John Travolta are gay, but until somone steps forward with cast iron facts they remain just that, rumours.

I do find it curious that the media didn't go after him if there was a smidgen of a story there, it isn't like they haven't gone after high profile/ wealthy people before. Whether it's because his charity work somehow shielded him I don't know.
As this goes on it will be intresting to see to what extent this was being reported and ingnored by TPTB in the BBC, NHS and the police... .....and possibly we will find out why they all seemed to have allowed Savile to operate with immunity for so long.......that part i cant figure out.

Scary stuff to say the least.

Old October 17 2012, 11:47 PM   #40
flandry84
Captain

I can't let you go with bringing up the gay rumours about those actors you named.
What we are discussing is a different matter entirely.Entirely.
Old October 18 2012, 04:14 AM   #41
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned the parallel with Jerry Sandusky here in the US, right down to the charity work that was intended to groom victims and throw others off from the crimes, and the organizational coverups (as it was with the leadership at Penn State) that perpetuated it. This is, sadly, far from an unprecedented pattern.
Old October 18 2012, 06:54 AM   #42
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

I can't let you go with bringing up the gay rumours about those actors you named.
His point wasn't that they are similar, at least in any other way than there are rumours, rumours with no proof. So people can say they know they are gay as much as they like but that doesn't mean it's true.
Old October 18 2012, 09:07 AM   #43
Starkers
Admiral

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post
His point wasn't that they are similar, at least in any other way than there are rumours, rumours with no proof. So people can say they know they are gay as much as they like but that doesn't mean it's true.
Yeah that was all I was saying really, rumours follow a lot of celebraties around, be it relating to their sexuality, drug/alcohol use, eating disorders, who's made use of nopotsism/the casting couch etc. The vast majority are false or shouldn't be an issue but that doesn't stop them.

It strikes me that there was definitely a culture that, if it didn’t endorse what he was doing, may have chosen to turn a blind eye, and as distasteful as it is, if people were assuming he was sleeping with 16+ year olds and it was perceived as consensual they might have figured it was acceptable, and probably no worse than what other celebrities were doing (hell some, like Ronnie Wood are still doing it!) which probably acted as yet further camouflage for his more dubious encounters .

It definitely appears there was a very sexist culture at work given some of the stories coming out unconnected to Jimmy about the inappropriate behaviour of some male radio and TV presenters (though it wouldn’t surprise me if there were a few female presenters as well).

Man and I thought learning the Krankies were swingers was going to be the most shocking thing I heard about people who were a major part of my childhood

Old October 18 2012, 01:33 PM   #44
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post
Yeah that was all I was saying really, rumours follow a lot of celebraties around, be it relating to their sexuality, drug/alcohol use, eating disorders, who's made use of nopotsism/the casting couch etc. The vast majority are false or shouldn't be an issue but that doesn't stop them.

It strikes me that there was definitely a culture that, if it didn’t endorse what he was doing, may have chosen to turn a blind eye, and as distasteful as it is, if people were assuming he was sleeping with 16+ year olds and it was perceived as consensual they might have figured it was acceptable, and probably no worse than what other celebrities were doing (hell some, like Ronnie Wood are still doing it!) which probably acted as yet further camouflage for his more dubious encounters .

It definitely appears there was a very sexist culture at work given some of the stories coming out unconnected to Jimmy about the inappropriate behaviour of some male radio and TV presenters (though it wouldn’t surprise me if there were a few female presenters as well).

Man and I thought learning the Krankies were swingers was going to be the most shocking thing I heard about people who were a major part of my childhood
Thank you....i had wiped that from my memory......now it's back in all its fandabbydozzy innuendo. lol

Old October 18 2012, 01:42 PM   #45
Starkers
Admiral

ha ha, sorry about that!!