Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 14 2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: Jimmy Savile

Hard hitting and incisive journalism from the British press, as ever.

https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/...242113/photo/1
Old October 14 2012, 10:27 AM   #17
donners22
Commodore

The stand-out, though unfortunately far from surprising, aspect from this is the number of people who were aware and did nothing. It's unfortunately an entrenched part of society, whether the person is a celebrity or not. Much like domestic violence, so many sex offences are just ignored or kept "in-house". It's tragic to think how many lives have been ruined by such inaction over the years.
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 01:01 PM   #18
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post
Hard hitting and incisive journalism from the British press, as ever.

https://twitter.com/brianwhelanhack/...242113/photo/1
The last time i saw anything of intrest in a daily tabloid was when they still wrapped your chips up in them.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 05:07 PM   #19
Blip
Fleet Captain

The good old days! (the chip wrapping, not the thread topic..)
For those determined to contort yourselves into knots so as to include every minor production flub as gospel, and shoehorn it into "cannnonnnnn": STOP. I don't have all day to waste on here; I quite like enjoying real life thankyouverymuch.
Blip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 05:15 PM   #20
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Ah, the good old days. When a celeb could molest a child and a man could have his chips in yesterday's newspaper. As God intended.
Old October 14 2012, 05:29 PM   #21
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...-and-my-father
Roy Greenslade's blog last Wednesday reported that Paul Connew, when editor of the Sunday Mirror in 1994, did have "credible and convincing" evidence from two women who claimed that Jimmy Savile had been guilty of abusing them at a children's home. Though "totally and utterly convinced" they were telling the truth, the paper's lawyers, after a careful assessment, decided it wasn't strong enough to risk publication. The risk was libel and the substantial costs and damages that the newspaper could face should they lose a subsequent high court case from the litigious Savile. To the in-house lawyers at Mirror Group, the risk seemed too great. Connew went further in talking about his guilt relating to this on Newsnight last Thursday. But there is perhaps another angle to the story.
I do wonder why a paper never went after him, the way they go after footballers latest shag.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:05 AM   #22
TedShatner10
Commodore

^The tabloids are cowards and hypocrites for self-righteously going after the BBC as an institution even though there were people inside the BBC who should've known better about employing a dangerous conman and predator like Savile.

Now looking at this infamous Louis Theroux documentary from way back in 2000 and with the benefit of hindsight, I find it a fucking chilling watch (somewhat NSFW with some bad language):

When Louis Theroux Met Jimmy Savile

Aside from the two notable segments where Jimmy Savile's mask was obviously slipping at the 22:30 and 44:00 mark (with real WTF incriminating remarks) there were also many other things that were really off about the guy: his extreme self-aggrandizement, subtle threatening, and domineering personality (he somehow got Louis Theroux's address without permission, rudely woke up Louis Theroux too early in the morning, and speaking abrubtly to some hospital employee over the phone). Then there's the packet of condoms for a cruise, his two extremely sinister/odd looking minions he depended on (Jim the Pill at 12:20 and Antony at 36:30), and of course a tour around his preserved apartment that he used to live in with his mother (at 26:00).

Surely none of you don't hear Bernard Herrmann music when you see Savile dote over his dead mother's photos and other effects? He had a pathological bond with his dead mother, so he was incapable of forming any meaningful relationship with mature women, becoming a abusive sexual predator towards underaged girls instead.

He seemed to be a sociopath:

Last edited by TedShatner10; October 15 2012 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Fix link...
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:41 AM   #23
Starkers
Admiral

Funnily enough I realised yesterday that I still have a Louis Theroux box setv featuring When Louis met Jimmy. I'm debating whether or not I want to watch it...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:43 AM   #24
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

I think it's on Netflix and I was wondering the same thing.
Old October 15 2012, 11:24 PM   #25
TedShatner10
Commodore

I fixed the link to the infamous documentary.

And yeah, the passive-aggressive meeting with Jimmy Savile by Louis Theroux was uncomfortable viewing even before stories of Savile's misdeeds were mostly confirmed in recent weeks. I think Louis Theroux should be knighted instead of Savile, the malfunctioning piece of fuck that he was!

Not long after the 14 minute mark of that documentary watch out for John Prescott and see how he coldy shuns Jimbo after seemigly giving an irritated expression.

But on a more serious note I guess his affably clownish persona (that couldn't be taken seriously) was a good enough cover to throw off the prideful people running the BBC and Broadmoor at the time who must've underestimated how dangerous he really was...
Old October 16 2012, 09:27 AM   #26
Starkers
Admiral

^I think that's it, I think a lot of people just thought he was eccentric, and I think a lot of people were blinded by the work he did for charity as well. I wonder, was the charitable work a cover for what he did, or guilt manifesting itself? Probably the former but we'll never know, probably he liked to be lionised, liked to be the centre of attention and maybe got a kick out of being thought of as a saint.

Now Labour are calling for a national enquiry. I dunno, I'm getting kind of tired of us having an enquiry into everything; Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, Malaya etc. I'm not saying mistakes shouldn't be investigated, lessons learned etc I'm just tired of it as a default setting every time something happens.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 09:32 AM   #27
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The police are working on it and the BBC are investigating. Labour should have held their tongues and waited to see what the current investigations conclude.
Old October 16 2012, 09:34 AM   #28
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Judge Death wrote: View Post
^I think that's it, I think a lot of people just thought he was eccentric, and I think a lot of people were blinded by the work he did for charity as well. I wonder, was the charitable work a cover for what he did, or guilt manifesting itself? Probably the former but we'll never know, probably he liked to be lionised, liked to be the centre of attention and maybe got a kick out of being thought of as a saint.

Now Labour are calling for a national enquiry. I dunno, I'm getting kind of tired of us having an enquiry into everything; Bloody Sunday, Hillsborough, Malaya etc. I'm not saying mistakes shouldn't be investigated, lessons learned etc I'm just tired of it as a default setting every time something happens.
Well if it's true that some of these events were reported and the police did nothing then that should be investigated. If it's true that he was given keys to locked ward that should also be investigated, just on the grounds that these things could and probably still do happen and need to be prevented in the future. But basically it amounts to this eccentric millionaire who raised money for charity and was a celeb who kids might like to see got access because people thought he might bring happiness to kids while in hospital. As wrong as that might be people probably thought they were doing a good thing, rather than assumed they were turning a blind eye to child abuse.
Old October 16 2012, 12:45 PM   #29
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral

One horrific thing about this (one of many horrific things, granted) is how it's being turned into a political stick for the right wing press to beat the BBC and the NHS with. Those bastards didn't go after him for the same reason that it took 40 years to come out properly. Everyone knew the rumours, nobody had evidence. You can't just call someone out as a sex offender, especially not a "national treasure" (read: "armed to the teeth with lawyers"), unless you know damn well you can prove it.

They know it. They've practically admitted it. That they have the temerity to call the kettle black is fucking absurd.
Old October 16 2012, 08:18 PM   #30
flandry84
Captain

Perhaps the biggest question of all is(if you accept that everyone knew)is why they gave him a childrens show like "Jim'll fix it".

Chilling viewing on the re-run of HIGNFY last night when in a replayed clip of a previous Savile appearance,Ian Hislop asks Savile what he does in his "mobile home/caravan.
"Anyone I can."Savile replies deadpan.
*Shiver*