Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 16 2012, 05:24 AM   #91
Immolatus
Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

I think I would have looked for the armory first since it was outside the prison walls. That way everyone can have shotgun as well as ammo
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 05:35 AM   #92
Agent Richard07
Retired

Didn't even know the show was starting back up until a few minutes before it started. And that ending reminded me of the TOS episode "The Mark of Gideon" because of the way all those people were staring at our gang through the bars and windows.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 06:18 AM   #93
Immolatus
Captain

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
This is a particularly bad habit in the US and other places that have tended to hostile to the very idea of promoting the virtue of communal needs. That's why, come even a hint of the apocalypse the US will be one of the first places to fall apart. We are a fractious society that has long sense abandoned the idea of "the common good."

So true so very true
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:04 PM   #94
Tom
Rear Admiral

Btw, I liked that they had a new opening sequence with nice to see Norman Reedus get 4th billing after Laurie Holden. Also noticed Lauren Cohen (Maggie) was added to the main credits as well as Darria. It is weird that Melissa Mcbride who plays Carol is still not in the main credits even though she has been with the show since the beginning. Hope that does not mean she is going to be knocked off soon, I have a feeling Beth will go by the end of the season too.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here

Last edited by Tom; October 16 2012 at 07:08 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:26 PM   #95
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Btw, I liked that they had a new opening sequence with nice to see Norman Reedus get 4th billing after Laurie Holden. Also noticed Lauren Cohen (Maggie) was added to the main credits as well as Darria. It is weird that Mellisa Mcbride who plays Carol is still not in the main credits even though she has been with the show since the beginning. Hope that does not mean she is going to be knocked off soon, I have a feeling Beth will go by the end of the season too.
I think Carol is safe, as long as she and Darryl don't consumate their budding relationship, we've got to see how great they are together, before they take it away from us. But, yea, once they do start sleeping together, she may very well be on the endangered list.

Seems Laurie's attitude has changed, now that the group is smaller and there is no the luxury of the women sticking to doing "women's work" (Still can't believe the way she lit into Andrea about kicking back doing Men's work, instead of helping her with the Women's work)

I think it was a strong start, wasn't expecting for them to have gotten this far into settling in the Prison this early on, I figured it'd take a couple episodes jsut getting there and getting inside. I really enjoyed seeing Michonne on The Talking Dead, she seems to be very grateful for the Kickass Role and the fan acceptance and adoration.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:27 PM   #96
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Does the winter in Georgia get very cold? I remember Rick saying last season that he thought the winter would kill off the zombies, but obviously that didn't work out.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:37 PM   #97
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

how long till they all just decompose?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:58 PM   #98
Scout101
Admiral

The HEAT would have been more likely to kill them then the cold. Should have been exploding meat bags in the 100+ degree heat with no ability to regulate temps, plus some decomposition. Cold might wreck them a bit, but it's not THAT cold there, adn worst case they might just be ok once they thaw.

More plot device than science on this one. Zombies seem to NEED to eat, like a primary driver to bite and eat people. Except for when they can just sit there or wander a prison yard for a year without food and be fine. Either they gain something from attacking/eating, or why do it? Because Zombies are jerks? How are they still moving without taking in any extra energy? Still takes energy to move the muscles, right? Should be more dead ones, not just sitting in the pharmacy waiting for fresh prey that isn't coming. But makes for a more boring story. Zombie infections don't make much sense logically, zombies just don't have the staying power that tv/movies give them. Too many obstacles/problems for them to overcome in the real world...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 05:09 PM   #99
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah the longer the show goes on, the more far-fetched it's going to seem that there are still so many zombies roaming around. You'd think most of them in the area would have either been killed off or wandered off somewhere else by now.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 06:25 PM   #100
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Yeah the longer the show goes on, the more far-fetched it's going to seem that there are still so many zombies roaming around. You'd think most of them in the area would have either been killed off or wandered off somewhere else by now.
Don't forget that there is a lot less time that has gone by on the show than IRL.
Old October 16 2012, 06:30 PM   #101
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

The longer-lasting zombie franchises tend to do so IMO because they don`t delve into the WHY of the undead, just that they ARE, and dealing with the human drama that comes as a result of the apocalypse. I always figured that Romero would have faded into obscurity long ago if his second or third movie were about a team of scientists trying to find a cure, or at least figuring out how the things move and moan. I mean, we don`t really KNOW how the warp drive or transporters work, right?

Here, we had the CDC but that mostly served to identify the cause as a virus (and ultimately to confirm that everyone HAS it), but that`s it. Our heroes don`t have the means to do anything more beyond survive and that`s what we hope we`ll be enjoying hopefully for at least a few more seasons* .

Mark

*sixseasonsandamovie

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:06 PM   #102
Scout101
Admiral

They generally do so because it's over a shorter time span, though. When you just need to show the infection and then a week or a month of running panic, the long-term issues don't come up. And you usually just either kill off the main characters, or the surviving 2-3 head off into the distance in a car, or a boat, or whatever. It's somewhat rare that you're dealing with a situation several months, or in the case of TWD, about a year after the initial event.

You're right, though, usually a lot of hand-waving about the How and Why of it. Resident Evil took about as good a crack at it as any, but even then, it gets pretty fuzzy when there's a large group of zombies that should have to eat, but don't want to eat each other. They had the virus re-energizing the cells, which in the short term, is fine.

With TWD, you've got the long time frame, and even seasonal changes to deal with. Starts getting tougher to ignore those sorts of things in the long term. Maybe they can go a month without food by burning through every reserve in the body, but a year later? You show the zombies decomposing a bit, but in the Gerogia summer heat, with the decomposing gases and no way to cool? BLAM!

I appreciate what we've been getting (minus the season long 'search' for the girl on the farm that just DRAGGED), but I wouldn't mind more mythology on this one. I ENJOYED the CDC part. For the most part, we've stayed with Rick's perspective, so we don't know much of anything about what happened, how it happened, if there's anyone anywhere able to do anything to help. We woke up in Zombieland, fully established. I'd like at least some more bits and pieces filled in at some point, even if we don't get the full story.

Things like warp drive are easier to gloss over, it's basically just magic because you don't know anything about any of the components (and believed to be physically impossible, give or take, so you can just push the 'i believe' button and move on). With this, you know what the human body is made of, how it reacts to various conditions, what it takes to fuel it, heal it, rest it, etc. It's a tougher leap of faith, because it isn't asking us to believe in magic, it's asking us to ignore things we actually KNOW stuff about.

It's cool if you show zombies having to eat the flesh of the living to gain energy and survive. And maybe there's something there that they can't get from other dead people, which is why they don't eat each other. But then you gotta show them eating, can't leave them dormant, or wandering around a pharmacy for a year without consequences. Can't bake them in the sun without cooling off, sweating, or drinking water/blood, and then not have them looking like a squishy mummy later on.

I'm enjoying the show a lot, and know they're stuck with certain premises that they're playing to, just saying it's harder to suspend disbelief when the subject is something we know more about. Zombies are a great horror subject (and why the Borg were so great when they came out originally), but just don't hold up to a long-term project without more explaination or eye-rolling disbelief.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:39 PM   #103
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Searching for Sophia was only half a season, we saw her running around lost for the first episode (or was it 2), then the search for 4 or 5 episodes, and then the reveal in Episode 7

Regarding the "sitting Zombies", we honestly have no way of knowing how long they were sitting there. For all we know, when we see a new one, they could've been survivors who only just died this morning or yesterday of Starvation. Every survivor will be come a Zombie when they die, so, as long as there are survivors, there are new Zombies waiting to be born.

So, yea, maybe a bit much to still have packs of 100s a year into the outbreak, and certainly I can't argue with you about the Heat and decomposition, but, the sitters and the continued prescence of Zombies isn't so unbelievable. And let's not forget, they do partake in 4 legged animal flesh (Rick's horse and the cow Dale found, for example)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 07:44 PM   #104
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
seriously, though, fell for the 'zombie playing dead' trick? Hasn't he ever watched tv?
As in the comics, the show seems to be taking the approach that zombie movies are not a "thing" in their universe. So, no, these characters would not have watched these sort of events on tv. Still, it was short-sighted of Herschel not to take the precaution to stab that body, though we can chalk that carelessness up to panic over Maggie.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
It just seemed to be strange behavior for a zombie is all. Instead of prowling around in search of food, this one sat dormant in one spot until a target was in range, then pounced.
It's not the first time we've seen a walker that had simply stopped.

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
I can't remember if they figured out how some of the zombies had actually got that way without being bitten?
In the season two finale, Rick revealed that Jenner had told him that every living person was infected. Anyone who dies, even if they haven't been bit or scratched by a zombie, will turn. The only exception is people who have suffered brain damage as cause of death.

wissaBOO wrote: View Post
The prison seems so obvious. And you would think Rick would know where all the prisons in the area were.
Rick has admitted that he wasn't a particularly good law enforcement officer, and they aren't near the small town in which he and his family lived. Why would he bother knowing where prisons halfway between Atlanta and Fort Benning are, except for when he needed that information?
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 08:23 PM   #105
Gotham Central
Vice Admiral

View Gotham Central's Twitter Profile

davejames wrote: View Post
Actually the reason that there are so many zobies wandering around is because survivors keep making noise.

In the comic they explain this pretty clearly. Roamers will keep moving in the direction of noise until something new attracts their attention. Given that the world is ALOT quieter post apocalypse, sound will travel much further and attract more Zs than would normally be the case. Everytime the survivors fire an unsilenced bullet they attract more Zombies. Before long you've got a herd. The noise from Daryl's chopper would have added to the problem.

Noise is also why settlements inevitably attract roamers. Civilization means noise, which will in the long run produce a herd. I think that it would have been better for the show to have pointed out that all of that target practice and wasting bullets early in season 2 did more to attract the herd to the farm than the helicopter and that final bullet that killed Shane.

On the weather, in the comics the first winter was supposed to be VERY cold. Its not stated why, but the book World War Z gives a plausable explanation in that all of the fires started as civilization fell produced enough smoke to block out enough sunlight to bring down global temperatures (sort of like a Nuclear Autumn/Winter). Consequently, things should have been easier on the surviors during the winter. The Zs would not die but they should slowdown and possible freeze if it got cold enough. Finding places that are warm, zombie free and have access to sufficient food and clean water is what should have been the biggest challenge.
And sing along in the age of paranoia

Green Day
Gotham Central is offline   Reply With Quote