RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,686
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 399
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate In Tempest's Wake.
Outstanding 5 21.74%
Above Average 7 30.43%
Average 7 30.43%
Below Average 4 17.39%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 7 2012, 08:25 PM   #31
RonG
Captain

View RonG's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to RonG
Re: VAN: In Tempest's Wake by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

beamMe wrote: View Post
RonG wrote: View Post

A "disservice"?

Granted, In Tempest's Wake doesn't add much to the Vanguard story, but it certainly doesn't take anything away from it.
That it is very well written and integrates Vanguard even more into the old continuity and actually opens up the story for a future re-visitation makes it everything but a "disservice".
Perhaps "disservice" is too strong a word. I'm not taking anything away from the story or from Ward, and would probably feel different about it if it would have been labeled as TOS as planned originally.

However, having a VAN story flat out starring Kirk is not how I would have liked the series "last entry" to be. To me, VAN ended the way it should have with Storming Heaven.
The ending still stands. Most of In Tempest's Wake's framing story plays before the framing story of What Judgments Come and Storming Heaven. And the last chapter features one of Vanguards main characters with Kirk "only" tagging along because he's needed.
As mentioned before, my gripe isn't with the story but with its labeling and "artificially" extending the VAN series with a post-finale entry...

I still don't like / support the change from the TOS label to VAN (not that I have anything to do about it - it's just my personal opinion)
Old October 7 2012, 08:35 PM   #32
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Perhaps "disservice" is too strong a word. I'm not taking anything away from the story or from Ward, and would probably feel different about it if it would have been labeled as TOS as planned originally.

However, having a VAN story flat out starring Kirk is not how I would have liked the series "last entry" to be. To me, VAN ended the way it should have with Storming Heaven.
The ending still stands. Most of In Tempest's Wake's framing story plays before the framing story of What Judgments Come and Storming Heaven. And the last chapter features one of Vanguards main characters with Kirk "only" tagging along because he's needed.
As mentioned before, my gripe isn't with the story but with its labeling and "artificially" extending the VAN series with a post-finale entry...

I still don't like / support the change from the TOS label to VAN (not that I have anything to do about it - it's just my personal opinion)
Sure it's your opinion, no need to point that out.

I don't care how it's labelled.
The important thing is that it's well written and that I was entertained by reading it.
It is, and I was.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 08:44 PM   #33
RonG
Captain

Sure it's your opinion, no need to point that out.

I don't care how it's labelled.
The important thing is that it's well written and that I was entertained by reading it.
It is, and I was.
To each his own, of course.
Old October 7 2012, 09:56 PM   #34
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Started and finished it today. Even though the novella was not strictly needed, I thought that it was above average. The candid conversations with Nogura were interesting and make me wonder if Kirk's discussion with him had a bearing in Kirk's promotion to COO. The Aldrin city section ties in nicely with certain events in the late 24th century.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 05:00 AM   #35
RonG
Captain

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Started and finished it today. Even though the novella was not strictly needed, I thought that it was above average. The candid conversations with Nogura were interesting and make me wonder if Kirk's discussion with him had a bearing in Kirk's promotion to COO. The Aldrin city section ties in nicely with certain events in the late 24th century.
If the novella "was not needed", why publish it, other than to make further use of the VAN brand?

I'm still on the fence about getting this, but it seems to me it could have been seamlessly incorporated into another TOS novel by Dayton.
Old October 8 2012, 07:35 AM   #36
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

I'm the harshest voter so far. I just didn't get into it.

I think someone farther up asked the question were they engaged with the story and the answer for them was yes. Unfortunately for me, I was not engaged. I loved Vanguard and think Dayton is a great writer but this just didn't work for me. I just felt there was no there there. For the most part the flash backs told scenes from a different perspective than we've seen before which is sometimes interesting but doesn't really add up to a story for me and the Kirk/Nagura scenes spent a lot of time just telling us the whole thing was a secret. Maybe it would have been different if I hadn't finished Storming Heaven the day before but that shouldn't make a difference.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 03:33 PM   #37
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

I wasn't engaged by this one either. It was like one of those end of season finales when a tv show is out of budget so they show a bunch of scenes from earlier episodes. I was hoping more of a telling of the legacy of Vanguard or maybe fill some open cracks but it was pretty much just expanding upon scenes in the series which the Enterprise was in, scenes that really didn't need to be expanded upon. The only REALLY interesting part to me was when Kirk and Nogura are in the Vanguard Vault in the moon and when Spock notes how quickly Starfleet buried information on Vanguard.

I think an aftermath story could have been told much better than this. That said, I'm glad Ward wrote it and glad I read it because of the few gems which were in it.
Old October 8 2012, 10:36 PM   #38
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

I liked this one a lot. This was the tying up of loose ends that will end up bitting them in the end (in the Typhon Pact stories). I thought it was a well written story explaining how Starfleet tried to cover their butts. Very enjoyable.
Old October 8 2012, 10:59 PM   #39
MatthiasRussell
Fleet Captain

^But that explaination was already given in Paths of Disharmony.
Old October 9 2012, 08:50 AM   #40
RonG
Captain

I was also wondering about any loose ends from the VAN series (as I didn't think there were any..)

Could anyone spoil me?
Old October 15 2012, 09:11 AM   #41
RonG
Captain

No response after nearly a week?
Old October 15 2012, 09:14 AM   #42
Sho
Fleet Captain

Makes you wonder whether this renewed ebook experiment worked out financially, I guess.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:25 PM   #43
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

I didn't remember any "loose ends" left in Vanguard and I don't remember any loose ends that were tied up in In Tempest's Wake.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:29 PM   #44
RonG
Captain

ronny wrote: View Post
I didn't remember any "loose ends" left in Vanguard and I don't remember any loose ends that were tied up in In Tempest's Wake.
So I'm still left with the question of why this e-novella exists as a VAN story..

No offense meant to Dayton Ward, as his Trek novels are some of my favorites (especially the VAN novels), but I can't understand why this is a story in its own right rather than a subplot / scenes in a TOS novel.
Old October 17 2012, 12:39 AM   #45
Daddy Todd
Captain

No offense meant to Dayton Ward, as his Trek novels are some of my favorites (especially the VAN novels), but I can't understand why this is a story in its own right rather than a subplot / scenes in a TOS novel.
I think Dayton already kind of answered this -- he was approached by Pocket Books to write this particular e-book-only novella. That was the request from the publisher; it wasn't as if DW wrote the novella and then submitted it.

It appears that Pocket is testing the waters of e-book-only content, so they're starting off with new stories spinning off recent, well-received series, such as Typhon Pact and Vanguard. The series connections are marketing, not authorial whim.
Daddy Todd is offline   Reply With Quote