RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,631
Currently online: 473
Newest member: vicky013

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 7 2012, 02:24 AM   #16
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Stargate SG-1 - First time viewing of whole series

teacock wrote: View Post
I'm wondering if I should continue my brief run through reviews (I intend to watch the whole thing pretty regularly) in this thread or start another one. I'm picturing the OP showing up half way through season 2 and wondering what happened to his thread.. but I'm not sure if two review threads on the front page is acceptable.
Oh please...There's like 1 - 3 active threads a day in BSG and SG Forums. You think someone's gonna object because you have your own Watch thread, because you are watching at a different daily rate then the existing one? DS0 had 3 watching threads, not long ago. Enterprise and/or Voyager have 2 or 3 currently)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 7 2012, 02:48 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Okay.

Every time I start hanging out in a different forum on this BBS I become aware of a different set of culture rules. This one is so dead I wasn't sure what the deal was.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 7 2012, 01:44 PM   #18
lurok
Commodore

This one is so dead I wasn't sure what the deal was.
Time to do a
Old October 15 2012, 09:13 PM   #19
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Sorry BBS'ers I got heavily sidetracked offline and had to push some episode viewing to the side. My apologies, I hope to get back on my intended track of more consistent watching.

So over the weekend I watched the following:

1x5-The First Commandment: This episode showed up what happens when someone through the Stargate accepts being treated like a god by the natives. This didn't seem to be any particular group of people grabbed from a historical identifiable time period. It does bring up, and was raised briefly in the episode, how the psych evaluations could've missed that the commander might be prone to this type behavior. They didn't seem to fully give credence to the idea that the overly strong radiation from the sun could be the full source of his issue.

1x6-Cold Lazarus: Really enjoyed this episode over Commandment. If for no other reason than the doppelganger O'Neill seemed to connect and show the trauma of what happened to the O'Neill's after the death of their son than we had seen to date.

1x7-Brief Candle: This episode reminded me very much of the TNG episode Inner Light(I think that's the title) where Picard lives out a lifspan in a short amount of "real world" time. The flute was the touchstone. This episode didn't need that as it occured in "real time" to O'Neill. Great episode!!

1x8-Thor's Hammer: Clearly tied to Vikings and I'm assuming the foundation for the little grey Thor to come(I have heard of this character, he's one of the few things I knew to be coming) later in the series. James Earl Jones as the voice of Unas aka The First was a nice touch. The only loophole I thought of was if the gateway with the energy barrier was the only place that energy appeared what was to stop Teal'C from leaving the way that Carter&Jackson got in. They came in from another point afterall. The episode just implied that archway was the problem, not that the energy killer was everywhere. Maybe I missed something though.
Old October 16 2012, 12:59 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
The only loophole I thought of was if the gateway with the energy barrier was the only place that energy appeared what was to stop Teal'C from leaving the way that Carter&Jackson got in. They came in from another point afterall. The episode just implied that archway was the problem, not that the energy killer was everywhere. Maybe I missed something though.
The archway was fatal to Goa'uld but anyone without a symbiote could pass through either way.
Old October 16 2012, 10:05 PM   #21
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I understood that it only affected those with a Gou'ald host. I was asking if the archway was the only place that affect occurred or was it like the dampening field that prevented the staff from firing and covered the whole chamber. Cause if it was only at the archway then the location to the outside that Carter&Jackson came though would be passable.

I watched two more last night.

1x9-The Torment of Tantalus: Another direct tie to the film by bringing Catherine back in for this episode. It played as a "lost moment in Stargate" lore by showing the '45 attempts.
What also is great here is it expands on the idea that there are several alien species who've been interacting (the alien UN) and this castle site was a meeting location it seems. It also reinforces that the Gou'ald didn't create the Stargate tech but scavenged it/stole it. My only question though is if they didn't create it then why do the glyphs seem more Egyptian-esque in script style? Also, if they never mapped that site where Ernest from '45 was all this time they also weren't part of the alien UN as he described it for that room.
So that means there are at least FIVE alien races at play to be explored for this series just 9 episodes in, right?
  1. Gou'ald
  2. Thor's people whose name I've not committed to, UN species 1
  3. UN species 2
  4. UN species 3
  5. UN species 4
The only parallel I can think to draw is Klingon, Andorian, Romulan, Vulcan and Ferengi(toss up species). Trying to think of the five most influential species in Trek lore for a comparison.

1x10-Bloodlines: The first Teal'c centered episode, right? I thought it was an honorable move that Hammond took O'Neill's advice and offered to help Teal'c in this personal mission to save his son from being an unwilling slave to the Gou'ald like he had become. I'm wondering what consequences will play out now that his son has Teal's more mature host while Teal'c has the younger one. Also if there will be any shakeup within the camp. Tael'c's wife made it sound as if they had been ostracized from the others already. The ally Bratac(?) I couldn't fully read. He didn't seem very Gou'ald loyal but is he a separatist? I'm sorry to go back to the well but I get a vibe that Teal'c is the Worf of the show. Which my gut tells me we will revisit any fallout from this event.
Old October 17 2012, 03:31 AM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

^^^
I understood that it only affected those with a Gou'ald host. I was asking if the archway was the only place that affect occurred or was it like the dampening field that prevented the staff from firing and covered the whole chamber. Cause if it was only at the archway then the location to the outside that Carter&Jackson came though would be passable.
Well, Teal'c would have to get through the archway in order to get to that entrance.
Old October 17 2012, 04:31 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

But was the barrier only in the arch or over the whole area like a dome? Would some rock C4'ing have been helpful to make a new exit?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 17 2012, 01:54 PM   #24
The Wormhole
Admiral

Oh, I get it now. Honestly, I never thought about it too much over the years. *Shrug.*
Old October 17 2012, 07:11 PM   #25
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Had passes to a sneak of Tyler Perry's new movie Alex Cross so I only watched one before heading out.

1x11-Fire&Water: I wasn't overly excited with this episode. The history fan in me is enjoying the little things though. Here it's this Aquatic Race(member of the Alien UN?) that has ties to ancient Babylon but don't seem to have the same understanding of passage of time and want an update from Daniel. His knowledge of cuneiform seemed to be his undoing. When the SG-1 team is at his house to pack up his belongings, cause they have a memory implant of Daniel being killed, they slipped in another tie to the movie. His journal was read from by Carter,"I don't think Jack likes me...I'm never going to get paid."

I'm guessing this race isn't part of the Alien UN, other than an interest in Babylon the one character gave off a very solitary vibe. Is that cultural or just how he dealt with Daniel, my guess it's cultural for now.
Old October 18 2012, 01:43 AM   #26
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Fishman is not part of the "Alien UN." With this being his only appearance we don't learn anything about him or his race other than what we learn here.
Old October 18 2012, 04:16 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

That's too bad. The guy had charisma.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 03:34 PM   #28
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

1x12-The Nox: Armin Shimerman is the first Trek alum to appear on the show, or major Alum, that I can tell. And only 12 episodes in. This episodes initial reason for going to Nox homeworld is cause the program is in danger of being shut down due to lack of progress. Progress as being defined by bringing back superior technology to use against others, like the Gou'ald. O'Neill is taken back by this but I'm taken back as to why he would be. Seems a logical reason that's part of the SG-Teams, part. The other easy going aspects like survey, first contact, research would all be secondary to a military lead program. So why O'Neil is baffled seems odd. The comparison to the NASA moon landings and why we've not been back to the moon, now that I did find odd. No way back then were they seeking advance tech. Points for trying though.
The episode itself was decent. The Nox's invisibility is for sure a great asset but the people are so docile that I also don't think they are part of the "Alien UN", I'm kinda wondering if I should quite trying to figure out who that's going to be right now.
I did think it interesting how their city was floating in the sky was. Is that a Viking tie? Asgard?

1x13-Hathor: Another tie back to Egypt and the fertility goddess of Hathor. I had been hoping to explore this. Afterall the line in the movie, "...would it stand to reason if they know one Egyptian god...". An episode where the ladies on SG get to be in the spotlight since Hathor has the men under her control. The one thing I want to revisit mostly from this episode is just how Hathor ended up in the Mayan Temple? I'm curious as to that.

1x14-Cor-Ai: This episode also made sense, albeit I hadn't put any thought into it like O'Neill I guess, that we might run across some people with a specific grudge match with Teal'C. This is one of those where the ending was fairly predictable though so for sheer sake of surprise it gets an average score. I hope Teal'C doesn't have to reprove himself too often though, that could get boring.
Old October 20 2012, 10:44 PM   #29
teacake
Admiral

1x14-Cor-Ai: This episode also made sense, albeit I hadn't put any thought into it like O'Neill I guess, that we might run across some people with a specific grudge match with Teal'C. This is one of those where the ending was fairly predictable though so for sheer sake of surprise it gets an average score. I hope Teal'C doesn't have to reprove himself too often though, that could get boring.
Any time time they need an initial conflict scene they can just have it be about Teal'c being with them.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 20 2012, 10:48 PM   #30
gturner
Admiral

That's too bad. The guy had charisma.
I think he had a cameo in "Finding Nemo."