To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 15 2012, 01:53 PM   #61
Rhaven
Captain

Re: The Walking Dead Season 3

DarthTom wrote: View Post
Wow, amazing episode. I didn't see the Herschel incident coming at all.
IDK, I thought they were careless going into such dark passage ways with just flash lights. Walkers play possum and poor Herschel paid the price. Quite graphic as others have already said.

Anyone see what the ratings were last night? I wonder if without Dish Networks 12 million subscribers if that will impact the show's ratings compared with last year?
I bet the ratings were still way up there.
Old October 15 2012, 02:04 PM   #62
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post

Our characters, or the zombies?

seriously, though, fell for the 'zombie playing dead' trick? Hasn't he ever watched tv? Was expecting it when Rick took the keys, as well. How about a courtesy stab when you walk by one, just for reassurance? Doesn't cost you anything, lets you keep a leg (although the cross in the promo for next week implies that didn't work out great).
It just seemed to be strange behavior for a zombie is all. Instead of prowling around in search of food, this one sat dormant in one spot until a target was in range, then pounced.

I suppose its possible the zombie was blind or deaf, and didn't sense Herschall was close until he brushed against it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:13 PM   #63
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Here is a review from a harsh critic of the show. I disagree with him though - I think the acting is excellent.

Critic of Walking dead
Season 3 begins with some nice, tense zombie-slaying action that is inevitably interrupted by the over-dramatized interactions of the human players.
Finding a prison, the survivors decide that the facility may be their best bet for establishing a secure fortress, fortified against the zombie threat. They set about severing and spearing the heads of the undead mob within eventually securing a cell block of their own. Then, of course, it’s back to those over-dramatized interactions... and a barrage of commercials and asinine interludes. Again, I completely lost interest in the show before half of it was over, and failed to make it all the way through.
I am completely at a loss to explain the success of The Walking Dead. I understand the appeal of the survivalist fantasy, have a deep appreciation for the horror genre, and even love hideous low-budget (yet highly entertaining) b-grade films from the drive-in era. How unlikely it seems that I am entirely put to sleep by this Zombie Apocalypse epic while most of the rest of the viewing public seems to be enraptured by it. (My viewing partner was also unimpressed with the show, however, only remarking that “The kid’s name in this show is Carl, and that’s retarded.”) Perhaps I’ll try it again one last time, but certainly when I can watch it on my own terms, not held to the jarring interjections of AMC and its advertisers.
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 02:13 PM   #64
Caliburn24
Commodore

Good episode, maybe my favorite of the show since the pilot episode.

But one major nitpick. So our heroes have been on the run for weeks or months now. They're working as a smoothly oiled zombie killing machine now(loved the teamwork). They have a bunch of crude, but seemingly functional sound suppressors for their firearms. All good stuff.

But in all that time, not a single one of them has realized how useful a pole-arm could be? A makeshift spear, halberd or pike would be an enormous improvement over the knifes, fireplace pokers, machetes, and pipes(or even Samurai girl's sword).

And you can't claim it is lack of availability. I could step into my garage right now and whip up some(shortish) crude spears out of my shovels and rakes and various garden implements in a couple minutes.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:08 PM   #65
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Not sure wether hacking of Herschel's lower leg is going to help. That bite loked pretty deep. If the secondary infection got into a vene, it would have spread farther through the body already.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:15 PM   #66
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

Apparantly in the comic it was Dale they did this to and not Hershel. Anyone know if Dale survived it?
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:51 PM   #67
Alpha Romeo
Vice Admiral

wissaBOO wrote: View Post
Apparantly in the comic it was Dale they did this to and not Hershel. Anyone know if Dale survived it?
Dale and Allen. Allen died...dale survived.
Old October 15 2012, 04:58 PM   #68
davejames
Vice Admiral

I'm sure I'm alone in this, but I actually found the season 2 premiere (set on the highway) to be a lot more suspenseful.

I suppose there's just something about the threat of a zombie attack I find to be a lot more exciting than the actual killing of them.

Here, it was basically just a nonstop parade of zombie killing from the start, which made the whole episode feel a bit cold and mechanical to me, like I was watching characters in a videogame or something.

It wasn't until the end, when Herschel got chomped, that I really found myself glued to the screen.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 05:11 PM   #69
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

^^^ I thought it was amusing when Carl takes the dog food and is ready to eat it and Rick stops him. Apparently Rick draws a line in the sand not with his son executing zombies but eating Alpo - now that simply going to far. LOL
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 05:15 PM   #70
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Ah. I wasn't sure what that was about because I didn't realize what the can was.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 06:56 PM   #71
Stiletto
Fleet Captain

Great start to the season. Well oiled zombie killing machine is right. I think there was not a word of dialog while they took that first house at the beginning.

I really liked the show, but it is still bugging me the waste of ammo, especially after Rick locked that gate. It seemed like killing the zombies through the fence was working just fine! Lure them to the fence and attack through it. Daryl's arrows were no match for the zombiefied guards in riot gear. Ha!
Old October 15 2012, 07:16 PM   #72
sojourner
Vice Admiral

In the comics there were 3 types of zombies. The "roamers", which formed the herds. The, I forget the name, "sitters"? That would just basically not move until something got their attention. And the third type, of which I've also forgotten the name of, that basically just hung around a small area.
Old October 15 2012, 07:22 PM   #73
Galileo7
Fleet Captain

DarthTom wrote: View Post
^^^ I thought it was amusing when Carl takes the dog food and is ready to eat it and Rick stops him. Apparently Rick draws a line in the sand not with his son executing zombies but eating Alpo - now that simply going to far. LOL
Agree.

Carl is now up to speed killing walkers.
Galileo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 08:03 PM   #74
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
In the comics there were 3 types of zombies. The "roamers", which formed the herds. The, I forget the name, "sitters"? That would just basically not move until something got their attention. And the third type, of which I've also forgotten the name of, that basically just hung around a small area.
Depending on where they hang around, that would be either "Trekkies", "comic book nerds", or "gamers".
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 08:06 PM   #75
Worf2DS9
Writer

At the end of last season, didn't the camera pull way up from Rick's group, then pan over a bit to reveal the prison? If so, how is it that 6 months later they're only now finding this relatively nearby location?
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote