RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,056
Posts: 5,431,570
Members: 24,924
Currently online: 656
Newest member: luisgarcia

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 15 2012, 06:08 PM   #16
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

bullethead wrote: View Post
Why are the storyline things being included in the stretch goals? You should plan to have that anyway unless you're doing what XCOM is doing and letting the player create the story.
Keep in mind that all we've seen is a pre-rendered sizzle reel, and we have no idea whatsoever what development has taken place already, outside of the announcement that it's running CryEngine 3 and that Roberts has a very rough prototype. The three elements of any project that need to be in sync at all times are timeline, budget and scope, and while they're very clear about the timeline, they can't really establish the scope of work without a better understanding of the budget. My guess is that the amount of branching built into the campaign is what's dependent upon the money.

I pitched in $30, but I'm doing my best to keep my expectations in check. Roberts has never produced a bad game, but it's been ~10 years since he's worked in the industry and I have a very, very big worry that the reason he's taken the crowd-funding route is because he thinks he's big enough that he doesn't have to say "No, fuck you, Dad" to a project manager at EA or wherever.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 06:22 PM   #17
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral
 
Jon-o'-lantern's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Timby wrote: View Post
RSI has added stretch goals to the pledge site. It would appear that we don't get the MMO component unless they hit $5 million in funding, which is a pretty aggressive mark.
Ben Lesnick has addressed this quickly over on the RSI forums:

Ben Lesnick wrote:
We’re getting ready to address the stretch goals question in a Comm-Link post. I agree that it seems deceptive… but it wasn’t meant to be! The game announced at GDC is the one Chris Roberts intends to build, no matter what… not making the $4 million just means it’s going to take a little more time to get there instead of launching all at once.
So not making the $5 million mark would in theory mean that we'd be looking at a possible +3 yr wait rather than 30 months.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 06:23 PM   #18
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral
 
FPAlpha's Avatar
 
Location: Mannheim, Germany
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

It depends on how big the name Roberts really is and if there's enough 30+ year olds who remember Wing Commandor and Freelancer (games i adored as a teenager).

5 million is a very tall order and yet a drop in the bucket for a major game.. top of the line games nowadays cost tens of millions and only a select few franchises exist that make a return on this investment.

I honestly doubt Robert's has remained a big name.. outside of people in their 30s and gaming nuts i don't believe the majority of today's Xbox and PS3 crowd know who he is much less that he's getting a game together.

I hope it happens.. Space Combat is a dead genre and could use a boost. If this becomes a success i'm hoping others will reconsider and launch their own games.. i could use a state of the art X-Wing game.
__________________
"But that emergency was supposed to be the fall of an Avenger!" Phil Coulson
"Exactly!"
Nick Fury
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 06:29 PM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Jon-o'-lantern wrote: View Post
Timby wrote: View Post
RSI has added stretch goals to the pledge site. It would appear that we don't get the MMO component unless they hit $5 million in funding, which is a pretty aggressive mark.
Ben Lesnick has addressed this quickly over on the RSI forums:

Ben Lesnick wrote:
We’re getting ready to address the stretch goals question in a Comm-Link post. I agree that it seems deceptive… but it wasn’t meant to be! The game announced at GDC is the one Chris Roberts intends to build, no matter what… not making the $4 million just means it’s going to take a little more time to get there instead of launching all at once.
So not making the $5 million mark would in theory mean that we'd be looking at a possible +3 yr wait rather than 30 months.
To be fair, though, Cloud Imperium's community manager is naturally going to put the most positive spin on things as possible. Remember, this is the guy who still insists that Wing Commander: Arena is a great game.

That being said, LOAF getting an actual job with Roberts as the community manager is pretty awesome for him, since he's been running the Wing Commander CIC since forever and a day ago (1999, if memory serves). My account on that site goes back even further than this one.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 07:02 PM   #20
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral
 
Jon-o'-lantern's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Which is why I added "in theory" and "possible" into the sentence. Even reaching the $5 million mark doesn't 100% guarantee that the game (SQ42 or the MMO) will ever be completed. Robert is definitely aiming big, in his funding goal and what he wants for the game. There is a lot that can go wrong, which means there is also a lot of room to disappoint.

I've also seen today that Valve might (someone heard from a friend who has a friend who knows someone at Valve type whispers) be working on a privateer like open world space sim. If true and Star Citizen gets off the ground, it would make this niche's landscape quite interesting for the next two years.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 07:11 PM   #21
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Jon-o'-lantern wrote: View Post
I've also seen today that Valve might be working on a privateer like open world space sim. If true and Star Citizen gets off the ground, it would make this niche's landscape quite interesting for the next two years.
If that's true, Roberts should just go to Valve and beg for the money. They'd give him the creative freedom he so clearly wants.

Honestly, though, I have a feeling that he's still hoping to get the Wing Commander license from EA, which is why the storyline is under the stretch goals -- he needs some extra cash to get it out of EA's hands. That trailer was Wing Commander, even down to the uniforms (which were straight out of WC3), and everything about this project is screaming that it's intended to be a Wing Commander game, but they're developing the new universe / fiction as a fallback in case they can't acquire or license the rights.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 02:01 PM   #22
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

I would love a new WC game, assuming it was good quality and brought back the Kilrathi. Although the post-Kilrathi War games were decent (especially The Price of Freedom, which was brilliant), it would be awesome to have a true open universe WC game at the height of the Kilrathi War implemented modern gaming technology.

Even if he doesn't get the license, I would be interested to see what he comes up with.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 08:20 PM   #23
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE
 
Timby's Avatar
 
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
I would love a new WC game, assuming it was good quality and brought back the Kilrathi.
Roberts has been saying that EA approached him about doing a new Wing Commander game, but the talks fell apart after he insisted that it be PC-only. I honestly can't say I fault EA on that one, considering the budgets of space sims -- Wing Commander IV cost something like $12 million back in 1996, though admittedly a large chunk of that was the FMV, and Freespace 2, which killed the market, had a hojillion-dollar budget behind it.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 08:56 PM   #24
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Timby wrote: View Post
Ghostavo Fring wrote: View Post
I would love a new WC game, assuming it was good quality and brought back the Kilrathi.
Roberts has been saying that EA approached him about doing a new Wing Commander game, but the talks fell apart after he insisted that it be PC-only. I honestly can't say I fault EA on that one, considering the budgets of space sims -- Wing Commander IV cost something like $12 million back in 1996, though admittedly a large chunk of that was the FMV, and Freespace 2, which killed the market, had a hojillion-dollar budget behind it.
Yeah, I remember when Freespace 2 killed the space sim genre. Sad days.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 03:15 PM   #25
superdeluxe
Captain
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

bullethead wrote: View Post
Why are the storyline things being included in the stretch goals? You should plan to have that anyway unless you're doing what XCOM is doing and letting the player create the story.
More $$$$ means you are able to create more storylines. Not seeing the issue here.
__________________
Star Trek 2009 is Canon. It is in an Alternate Reality.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 03:19 PM   #26
superdeluxe
Captain
 
superdeluxe's Avatar
 
Location: Seattle
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
It depends on how big the name Roberts really is and if there's enough 30+ year olds who remember Wing Commandor and Freelancer (games i adored as a teenager).

5 million is a very tall order and yet a drop in the bucket for a major game.. top of the line games nowadays cost tens of millions and only a select few franchises exist that make a return on this investment.

I honestly doubt Robert's has remained a big name.. outside of people in their 30s and gaming nuts i don't believe the majority of today's Xbox and PS3 crowd know who he is much less that he's getting a game together.
.

All those teens/folks in their 20's are now making decent salary and love to live in nostaligia of things in the Past. We've seen how well project eternity, Wasteland and Shadowrun have done.
__________________
Star Trek 2009 is Canon. It is in an Alternate Reality.

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2012, 02:07 AM   #27
smiki
Captain
 
smiki's Avatar
 
Location: In orbit around the Mun
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Space Combat is a dead genre and could use a boost.
You guys do know that Diaspora: Shattered Armistice, a Battlestar Galactica themed freeware standalone space combat game made with the so-called FreeSpace Open engine (significantly upgraded FreeSpace 2 engine) got released this September? Just saying, because you guys seem like you might enjoy it.
smiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 04:40 PM   #28
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...
 
THE Robert Maxwell's Avatar
 
Location: Robert Maxwell
View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

smiki wrote: View Post
FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Space Combat is a dead genre and could use a boost.
You guys do know that Diaspora: Shattered Armistice, a Battlestar Galactica themed freeware standalone space combat game made with the so-called FreeSpace Open engine (significantly upgraded FreeSpace 2 engine) got released this September? Just saying, because you guys seem like you might enjoy it.
By the way, I wouldn't be quick to say the genre is "dead." It's just not as high-profile as it once was. Freespace 2 certainly killed the genre (for a while), but now it's back. You have the X series, which remains modestly popular. Looking through my Steam account, I've got these various and sundry space combat sims (in the Freespace/Wing Commander mold):

* DarkStar One (2006)
* SpaceForce: Rogue Universe (2007)
* Evochron Mercenary (2012)
* SOL: Exodus (2012)

Granted, there aren't that many of these, but what's available is pretty good.
__________________
Publishing all the news that's not fit to print, FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE!!!!
I has a blag.
THE Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 10:11 PM   #29
JGordon
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

Timby wrote: View Post
Keep in mind that all we've seen is a pre-rendered sizzle reel, and we have no idea whatsoever what development has taken place already, outside of the announcement that it's running CryEngine 3 and that Roberts has a very rough prototype.
At the GDC online announcement, Roberts played the mission seen in the trailer in real time. He started off in 1st/3rd person walking around the interior of the carrier, climbed into the cockpit of his fighter, took off, and fought with the raider ships. All without any loading screens or major hiccups (though there were a few minor clipping issues).

So the basics of the game engine are set, and it was surprisingly polished for a pre-pre-alpha build. From his comments it sounded like the only assets they really had completed were the carrier and the 2 fighter classes, but it's pretty impressive that they managed to turn CryEngine 3 into a functional flight sim by the time of the announcement. They had a lot more done than most projects that are at the crowdfunding phase. So there's definitely been a fair amount of development done already.

The combined totals for the RSI site are just over $1.8 million as I type this, and should surpass the $2million minimum goal very shortly. That's after just 13 days of fundraising on the RSI site and only 4 days on Kickstarter, so they are likely on their way to a $3 - $4 million total.

I'm very, very excited about this game. Dusted off my joystick last night and downloaded Diaspora: Shattered Armistice for some practice. I pledged $60 to Star Citizen, and might do more if I can convince the wife that it's necessary for my well-being.

Edit - Roberts has also stated that the $2million goal will kick in additional private funding from investors, who wanted Roberts to prove their was a market for this type of game before they committed the money. So the crowdfunding isn't the only funding stream for this game's development.
JGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2012, 05:16 PM   #30
Jon-o'-lantern
Rear Admiral
 
Jon-o'-lantern's Avatar
 
Location: Jono
Re: Star Citizen - Chris Roberts' new game

The game hit its $2 million goal today, so that's one big box ticked in terms of the game heading towards getting made. I'm glad to see that the game looks like it won't stumble on its first hurdle.

Some basic prelim info on the pledge ships, has also been released. They are also going to be expanding on the details for the stretch goals in the next day, which will be interesting.

Last edited by Jon-o'-lantern; October 25 2012 at 06:44 PM.
Jon-o'-lantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
star citizen, wing commander

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.