Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old October 7 2012, 03:03 AM   #46
Mr_Homn
Captain

Re: is star trek DS9 best star trek series

I don't really rank the star treks I like.

I used to, but then I find it just depends on what mood I'm in to what I like more, and then I'm constantly changing my rankings, and in the end it's just a go-nowhere thought process... they all have strengths and weaknesses.

I just have star trek shows I like, and star trek shows I dislike.

I like TOS,TNG,and DS9.

I dislike Voyager and the majority of Enterprise.

Beyond that, I find it impossible to rank which is my "favorite" or which is the "best"
Old October 15 2012, 02:06 AM   #47
Lt_Rowy
Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Lt_Rowy

I have to say that DS9 is my favourite after watching Enterprise, TOS, TNG and watching all of DS9 and 5 seasons of Voyager...Enterprise is what got me into Trek in the first place...but I love DS9!
Old October 15 2012, 01:34 PM   #48
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Yes. Yes it is.

Old October 15 2012, 05:45 PM   #49
pimp
Commander

I think this totally depends on the generation you are from and the kinda person you are. For me I grew up on TNG re-runs & DS9 was being aired for first time. For others who grew up during the orginal series would say TOS is best and will always be the best for them. I love DS9 for it's epic arc story along with B5, they bring back memories
Old October 15 2012, 05:50 PM   #50
Mr_Homn
Captain

pimp wrote: View Post
I think this totally depends on the generation you are from and the kinda person you are. For me I grew up on TNG re-runs & DS9 was being aired for first time. For others who grew up during the orginal series would say TOS is best and will always be the best for them. I love DS9 for it's epic arc story along with B5, they bring back memories
Generally that may be true, but it's not necessarily what generation you are from..

I was born in 87, grew up watching TNG, and for a long time it was the only trek i enjoyed. These days, I probably watch TOS more than any other version of trek. I find it to be the most fun to watch and that gives it more replay value for me. I think in a lot of ways it's the best show. I'm not saying it IS the best show though, because like i said before, it really depends on my mood, and I can't really decide which is the "best".
Old October 15 2012, 05:56 PM   #51
Revolution
Ensign

Definitely not. Couldn't get into it at all, nowhere near as good as TOS or TNG.

(IMO of course)
Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 08:12 PM   #52
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

DS9 is neither the best nor the worst Star Trek TV series.
Old October 16 2012, 03:23 PM   #53
pimp
Commander

Mr_Homn wrote: View Post
pimp wrote: View Post
Generally that may be true, but it's not necessarily what generation you are from..

I was born in 87, grew up watching TNG, and for a long time it was the only trek i enjoyed. These days, I probably watch TOS more than any other version of trek. I find it to be the most fun to watch and that gives it more replay value for me. I think in a lot of ways it's the best show. I'm not saying it IS the best show though, because like i said before, it really depends on my mood, and I can't really decide which is the "best".
Well the conclusion is there is no best star trek series. "Each to his own"
Old October 16 2012, 08:10 PM   #54
flemm
Fleet Captain

I think you can make a convincing case for TOS, TNG and DS9.

DS9 obviously didn't make the impact on popular culture that TOS did, nor did it ever achieve the recognition and popularity that TNG attained (and retains, at least to a degree).

It also benefited immensely from the groundwork laid by those two shows.

A lot of what makes DS9 interesting is the way it revisits some of the same stories and ideas from previous Trek shows, but from a fresh perspective. In some cases, long-time Trek writers were consciously doing this, while questioning some of the utopian ideas in Trek that had become almost a sort of dogma on TNG. For that reason, DS9 has aged much better than TNG, and I think it will continue to do so.

The main case for DS9 rests on the overall quality of the writing and acting, the depth of characterization, and the willingness of the producers to experiment and try new things. It's an uneven show, but at its best it can be really great.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 10:47 PM   #55
MacLeod
Admiral

well all the ST shows are uneven, DSN just happens to be one of the least unbalanced of the shows.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 11:11 PM   #56
Relayer1
Commodore

Easily the best IMHO. No contest...

Your mileage may vary.
Old October 18 2012, 10:28 PM   #57
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

I think Ds9 is the best of Star Trek series .IMHO, Star Trek TOS is the worst .I don't like the series or the movies.
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 10:44 PM   #58
MacLeod
Admiral

Without TOS there wouldn't be a DSN.

TOS wasn't perfect, it had a somewhat lacklustre third season. But it's first 2 seasons are gnereally good. And it must have done something right to still be remembered decades later.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 11:03 PM   #59
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I love DS9. Randomly tune in into an arbitrary episode and have a great time with a great cast of very well developed characters. None of the other ST shows have that.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote