IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 15 2012, 06:49 AM   #286
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: Green Arrow (CW)

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
An origin in the 80s says that he was drunk, fell over board, woke up on an island, six months later some hippies show up to collect those pot harvest, and he takes their boat.

Since then things got darker.

TOTALWAR with a heroin cartel for control of the island written by Andie Diggle a couple years back... hey? Isn't the bodyguard calling himself Diggle? But that book has been rebooted at least three times since then.
The Diggle character was created from a character in that Year One story with a similar job and backstory.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 05:34 PM   #287
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Takeru wrote: View Post
Nah, it's the Green Something. After Green Hornet and Green Lantern you can't call a show Green Arrow without confusing big parts of the audience, the titles are too similar.
"Hey hon, there's a show about that green guy coming on."
"Who?"
"You know he had a ring and a car and an Asian butler."
"Oh yeah, the one with Seth Green."

Poor "general population", we think so lowly of them. I'm not sure if it's not true though.
Mr. Adventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 08:05 PM   #288
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

"You mean Lou Ferrigno?"
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 08:52 PM   #289
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Takeru wrote: View Post
Nah, it's the Green Something. After Green Hornet and Green Lantern you can't call a show Green Arrow without confusing big parts of the audience, the titles are too similar.
"Who?"
"You know he had a ring and a car and an Asian butler."
"Oh yeah, the one with Seth Green."

Poor "general population", we think so lowly of them. I'm not sure if it's not true though.
It's true. My next-door neighbor rented GREEN LANTERN expecting a goofy superhero comedy with Seth Rogen. Boy, was he confused. And only yesterday I heard this from an acquaintance:

"You mean the X-MEN and AVENGERS aren't the same thing?"

And, just this morning, I ran into someone who confused BABYLON-5 with BATTLESTAR GALACTICA . . . .

We assume everybody knows this stuff, because it's burned into our brains, but most of the world isn't paying that much attention to it.
Old October 15 2012, 09:22 PM   #290
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's true. My next-door neighbor rented GREEN LANTERN expecting a goofy superhero comedy with Seth Rogen. Boy, was he confused. And only yesterday I heard this from an acquaintance:

"You mean the X-MEN and AVENGERS aren't the same thing?"

And, just this morning, I ran into someone who confused BABYLON-5 with BATTLESTAR GALACTICA . . . .

We assume everybody knows this stuff, because it's burned into our brains, but most of the world isn't paying that much attention to it.
I've encountered office workers who also confused Hornet & Lantern. To them they were both comic book characters and therefore the same thing...till they watched and whatever expectation they went in with was 180 different from what they had in front of them.

I've heard of confusing Star Wars and Star Trek all the time.
I feel if you're in tune enough to even know of Babylon 5 you shouldn't be confusing it with BSG.

I don't see how anyone confuses X-Men and Avengers though. There isn't even a similar naming convention or type of characters, at least as seen in the movies for the GA to confuse.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:23 PM   #291
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well after the war, Captain America is trying to make the X-Men and the Avengers he same thing.

Your friend might just be prophetic?

Except for the X-squads still being hunted from one side of the country to the other like dogs.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 09:49 PM   #292
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I don't see how anyone confuses X-Men and Avengers though. There isn't even a similar naming convention or type of characters, at least as seen in the movies for the GA to confuse.
To anyone who doesn't read comic books and doesn't really care, they're both "that movie where a bunch of superheroes team up."

"Based on Marvel Comics, right?"

So calling the new show ARROW was probably a shrewd move . . . .
Old October 15 2012, 10:29 PM   #293
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

It's true. My next-door neighbor rented GREEN LANTERN expecting a goofy superhero comedy with Seth Rogen. Boy, was he confused.
Yes, he wanted the goofy superhero comedy with Ryan Reynolds.

BAZINGA!
Old October 15 2012, 10:59 PM   #294
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

To anyone who doesn't read comic books and doesn't really care, they're both "that movie where a bunch of superheroes team up."

That would mean they also get confused by having Fantastic Four in the mix and any inevitable Justice League film.
I say inevitable, I hope I'm right in using that word and not just being optimistic.

I really just don't see confusing X-Men and Avengers.
I accept it happened in a one off anecdotal moment but don't think it's a widespread issue. Not in the way this line of discussion was brought up with the Green Arrow, Green Lantern or Green Hornet way.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 11:09 PM   #295
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

My flatmate asked me if Spider-Man was going to be in the Justice league once.

Long ago, after it became clear that my girlfriend couldn't tell the difference between even starwars and star trek... I just started calling "everything" SPACESHIPS a little manically repeatedly, instead of trying to explain the difference with a lot of different words, just saying the same word over and over again until she went away, but when someone actually uses the word "dissasociate" to express how they deal with conversations with you, they don't deserve a lot of effot, to stress that I would put the garbage out after the reruns of Farscape had finished.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 11:11 PM   #296
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

That would mean they also get confused by having Fantastic Four in the mix and any inevitable Justice League film.
I say inevitable, I hope I'm right in using that word and not just being optimistic.

I accept it happened in a one off anecdotal moment but don't think it's a widespread issue. Not in the way this line of discussion was brought up with the Green Arrow, Green Lantern or Green Hornet way.
I don't know. To a lot of people, all that crazy superhero comic book stuff is the same . . . .

Like I said, I bumped into the Babylon-5/Battlestar Galactica mixup just this morning. Hey, it's spaceship show that sounds like "Babylon" or "Battlestar" or something . . . .
Old October 16 2012, 12:05 AM   #297
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

That's because it's not a widespread issue, especially for the audiences actually watching these shows/movies. For some reason, a lot of nerds need to feel that their interests are strange and mysterious to the "common man on the street," and if it's something they know a modicum about, clearly it must be foreign and alien to the rest of the cosmos. Especially if your 60-year-old mom is the only girl you talk to. Worse, if it's something they don't much about, it's completely and utterly foreign and alien to the world at large. (Case in point: If the electricity goes out, mankind loses the knowledge of how to bake bread.)

The real reason for the name of the show is as I pointed out earlier in the thread. They just love one word titles for whatever bizarre reason. Somehow it's "cool." Smallville did it with its title and episode titles. Online gaming groups do it. 'Cause it's hip and edgy, yo.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 12:48 AM   #298
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

I don't know. To a lot of people, all that crazy superhero comic book stuff is the same . . . .

Like I said, I bumped into the Babylon-5/Battlestar Galactica mixup just this morning. Hey, it's spaceship show that sounds like "Babylon" or "Battlestar" or something . . . .
I'm even surprised that they knew about Babylon 5.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 01:35 AM   #299
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

So I watched the pilot at CW.com last night and mostly enjoyed it. I came in blind, not having seen any previews or online spoilers, or even having had entered this thread before seeing it, which was refreshing. I'll be back for more.
Old October 16 2012, 03:05 AM   #300
JD
Admiral

I can't remember for sure, but I think I did read an interview where admitted they wanted to go with a less comic booky sounding name.