Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old October 10 2012, 05:44 PM   #16
CaptainSerek
Commander

View CaptainSerek's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to CaptainSerek Send a message via AIM to CaptainSerek Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to CaptainSerek Send a message via Yahoo to CaptainSerek
Re: Second Star Trek Continues vignette online

I rewatched the Turnabout Intruder as well as this one together as a double feature. I found them enjoyable. I look forward to a full episode with all that goes with it.
Old October 11 2012, 06:16 AM   #17
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

DestinyCaptain wrote: View Post
It was good. Is it just me, or was it never expressly stated by anyone other than a crazy person that women couldn't be captain. I know the episode intent. I am speaking about what was said by the Star Fleet people. If none of them agreed with her, then it could be argued that there was no such exclusion and that this was yet another part of her psychosis...

No takers? I am working off memory here. Anyone know for sure?
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:20 PM   #18
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile

There have been a lot of discussions about it in other threads. My personal belief is that Janice Lester's rant was directed at Kirk's personal universe as having no room for women in it, but it's pretty much an even split from what I can tell between those who agree with me and those who see it as a blanket statement that there were no female starship Captains.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:30 PM   #19
USS Intrepid
Commodore

I imagine, given the time it was written, that the intention was that women couldn't be starship captains. However, it can easily be interpreted the other way, and given the times we live in, I see no compelling reason why we shouldn't retcon it.
Old October 14 2012, 09:57 PM   #20
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Like I've said many times, the only one who makes that claim is Janice Lester, who being psychotic is not a reliable witness. Jim Kirk, who knows her from their past, just chooses not to argue with the crazy person. Can't blame him there.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 03:40 AM   #21
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

I have written a brief story about the new vignette that you can read by clicking here.
Old October 15 2012, 06:43 AM   #22
Linnear
Lieutenant Commander

MikeH92467 wrote: View Post
I have written a brief story about the new vignette that you can read by clicking here.

Well done Mike. I checked out your other stories. Nice to see someone putting out the effort.

Alec
Linnear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 10:45 AM   #23
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

Linnear wrote: View Post

Well done Mike. I checked out your other stories. Nice to see someone putting out the effort.

Alec
Thank you Alec. I'm looking forward to doing a similar story on Axanar in the near future!
Old October 16 2012, 04:11 AM   #24
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Nick - Randy, that's pretty much how I have approached it all these years. Clearly it was written in 20th Century, reflecting the reality of the day. But, given Star Trek's reality it should have been a non-issue. Nothing more than the rantings of an insane human being that was clearly directing all their anger and personal failings at Kirk. I too prefer to believe that there are many females serving in command and flag positions within Star Fleet. Simply not worth mentioning the obvious. It a different time and place. Well, thanks guys. Just couldn't remember off the top off the head. My Trek knowledge base has been atrophying of late.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 05:19 AM   #25
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We certainly see Captain Shoop (as I call her) in Star Trek IV.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 05:38 AM   #26
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

The lamentable lack of any discussion about "You've Got The Conn"'s obvious similarities to (I'd even say they basically aped it) Starship Exeter's short from a few years ago, affectionately referred to as "Grimmer!", is unfortunate. I'd have loved to have heard the response from the Star Trek Continues gang about that.

Last edited by doubleohfive; October 16 2012 at 03:04 PM.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 08:00 AM   #27
Maurice
Vice Admiral

^^^You mean "The Night Shift".

—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:04 PM   #28
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Ah yes. Thanks for the correction.
Old October 16 2012, 03:12 PM   #29
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

doubleohAHHHHHH!!!!! wrote: View Post
The lamentable lack of any discussion about "You've Got The Conn"'s obvious similarities to (I'd even say they basically aped it) Starship Exeter's short from a few years ago, affectionately referred to as "Grimmer!", is unfortunate. I'd have loved to have heard the response from the Star Trek Continues gang about that.
I always welcome comments to my articles, so you're waiting for ...what exactly?
Old October 16 2012, 03:30 PM   #30
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

I liked the Exeter short better mostly because it maintained the tone all the way through and was pretty damned funny. The Continues version wasn't as successful. However, it was extremely well shot. Kim Stinger is hot as hell, which also makes up for a lot. Sulu is ridiculous. The voice is good, but he bounces around like he has Parkinson's. Chekov is fine.

The only thing I didn't like was how it went from light humor to extra buttery corn on a dime. Vic made me laugh his with little double takes, but then he just launched into his "feel good" speech, the kind that I am honestly a little tired of (I hope the full length episiodes aren't filled with these things). I would have enjoyed it if Kirk did some Sulu imitations instead.

The downside to do this with the main characters is that it makes them look like a bunch of kids goofing off until daddy shows up. Good for shits and grins, but not something you'd expect from "the finisest crew in the fleet." In the rec room maybe, but not on the bridge. At least Exeter used character we never saw because of the shift difference. They showed why they are stuck on the graveyard shift.

Of course, I'm taking it way too seriously. It's all in good fun. The production value in this was amazing.