IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old October 15 2012, 01:43 AM   #16
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Has JJ Abrams ever watched any star trek episodes or movie?s

tmosler wrote: View Post
My question is has JJ Abrams ever watched any of the movies or any episodes because I think star trek 2 would turn out better if he did becuase we all no what happend to star trek nemesis because the director had never watched any star trek in his life.
On the other side of the coin you have TWOK which was directed by someone who had never watched Trek prior to getting the job and delivered one of the franchise's most popular movies.
Old October 15 2012, 03:02 AM   #17
KennyB
Commodore

View KennyB's Twitter Profile

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
tmosler wrote: View Post
My question is has JJ Abrams ever watched any of the movies or any episodes because I think star trek 2 would turn out better if he did becuase we all no what happend to star trek nemesis because the director had never watched any star trek in his life.
On the other side of the coin you have TWOK which was directed by someone who had never watched Trek prior to getting the job and delivered one of the franchise's most popular movies.
Ahhhhh Logic and Reason drops in............Great to see ya!

Old October 15 2012, 06:12 AM   #18
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

serenitytrek1 wrote: View Post
...there are many star wars fans that hate trek and vice versa.
How many? Fifty percent of each group hates the other group? One percent of each group? A bitter few, who are taken seriously by almost no one?

JJ once joked about hating trek and calling himself a star wars fan boy.
Really? J.J. said he hated Trek? Guess I missed that interview, though I can't imagine how.

Many trek fans who hate the 09 film and hate star wars have accused JJ Abrams of turning star trek into star wars.
Make it more along the lines of "Some Trek fans unhappy with aspects of the 2009 film have repeated slogans to the effect that 'J.J. Abrams turned Star Trek into Star Wars,' but most fans decline to take those guys very seriously" and I might be willing to give you that one.

Do you see where I am going with these?
Possibly, but what reason could you have for going there?
Old October 15 2012, 07:00 AM   #19
UFO
Captain

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
Many trek fans who hate the 09 film and hate star wars have accused JJ Abrams of turning star trek into star wars.
Make it more along the lines of "Some Trek fans unhappy with aspects of the 2009 film have repeated slogans to the effect that 'J.J. Abrams turned Star Trek into Star Wars,' but most fans decline to take those guys very seriously" and I might be willing to give you that one.
Actually I think serenitytrek1 statement is not that unlikely as it stands. Consider: If you are a Trek fan who both "hates" the 09 film and "hates" Star Wars, there’s a decent chance that you would accuse JJ of turning ST in SW. Hell, I have probably done it myself and I like SW. Anyway, such fans would be looking for any excuse and there are a number of parallels. Whether the majority of Trek fans take them seriously isn’t really an issue, since his comment about "many fans", was in relation to the select group already described. Ie. "Many", in this case, referring to a fair proportion of a small subset.
Old October 15 2012, 07:47 AM   #20
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

UFO wrote: View Post
Whether the majority of Trek fans take them seriously isn’t really an issue, since his comment about "many fans", was in relation to the select group already described. Ie. "Many", in this case, referring to a fair proportion of a small subset.
A handful, in other words? (Allowing for a variance of one or two in either direction, naturally.)
Old October 15 2012, 07:49 AM   #21
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

I doubt so....he once admited that it was star wars he loved.
Famously, the story goes that, as a kid, JJ attended the gala premiere of ST:TMP at the Smithsonian with his Dad in 1979. Hard on the heels of the "Star Wars" phenomenon, JJ had complained that TMP was too slow, so it's no surprise he upped the pace of things when directing "Star Trek (2009)".
Old October 15 2012, 08:01 AM   #22
serenitytrek1
Commander

M'Sharak wrote: View Post
...there are many star wars fans that hate trek and vice versa.
How many? Fifty percent of each group hates the other group? One percent of each group? A bitter few, who are taken seriously by almost no one?

JJ once joked about hating trek and calling himself a star wars fan boy.
Really? J.J. said he hated Trek? Guess I missed that interview, though I can't imagine how.

Do you see where I am going with these?
Possibly, but what reason could you have for going there?

if you have the 09 star trek on dvd ...listen to the comentary.JJ talks about paying homage to star wars and yes he did joke about hating star trek.
Old October 15 2012, 08:26 AM   #23
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Well the last movie did come off as a Star Wars style script involving the TOS cast.
William Shatner and James Doohan were in it?
Old October 15 2012, 08:38 AM   #24
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I don't like Star Wars. I don't hate it, it just never clicked with me. Meh.

But I loved JJ's Star Trek, the characters, the fun, the action and adventure. Other than a swordfight, lots of action and both being set in space, I don't see the "JJ made Star Wars!" thing at all.
Old October 15 2012, 09:06 AM   #25
teacock
Admiral

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I doubt so....he once admited that it was star wars he loved.
Famously, the story goes that, as a kid, JJ attended the gala premiere of ST:TMP at the Smithsonian with his Dad in 1979. Hard on the heels of the "Star Wars" phenomenon, JJ had complained that TMP was too slow, so it's no surprise he upped the pace of things when directing "Star Trek (2009)".
Thank god for that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 15 2012, 01:13 PM   #26
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Does it matter?
Old October 15 2012, 03:20 PM   #27
Dukhat
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Does it matter?
No, it doesn't.

Ask yourself this, people: If Abrams looooooves Star Wars so much, and purportedly haaaaates Star Trek, then why did he make a Star Trek movie? And a hugely successful one at that?

And while I'm not really interested in retreading this old, worn-out discussion, I would still like someone to list how Abrams's film is so much like Star Wars with points that haven't already been refuted a million times before.
Old October 15 2012, 05:49 PM   #28
controlfreak
Commander

Frankly I never got that either... Clearly JJ and Co made a Star Trek film. A successful Star Trek film.. Influences?? Sure. Every writer, director, art designer, creative type, is going to bring their influences into what they do.. No one accuses Gene Rodenberry of trying to turn Star Trek into Forbidden Planet, nor do they accuse Robert Wise of trying to turn Trek into 2001. Those influences are certainly there. Star Wars was influenced by Star Trek. Star Trek was influenced by a number of things over four decades. The whole "OMFG, JJ is turning Star Trek into Star Wars OH The HUMANITY" premise is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
Old October 15 2012, 06:05 PM   #29
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
One could argue that Nicholas Meyer barely used Space Seed at all for TWoK -- except for the names of the characters and the idea that Kirk had a big part in exiling them to Ceti Alpha V. That aside, the character of Khan in TWoK was almost unrecognizable as the same character from Space Seed, except for the obvious (same actor and same character name).

I understand the tie-in to the idea that Khan and his people were exiled to Ceti Alpha V, but besides that, the villain of TWoK could have have been a totally original character, and not much would have changed.

Having said all that, I enjoyed TWoK immensely.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Old October 15 2012, 06:41 PM   #30
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
Well the last movie did come off as a Star Wars style script involving the TOS cast.
Movies in general have been hugely influenced by the style of Star Wars. like it or not, that is how you make a successful popcorn action movie now. What doesn't work: supersizing a TV episode and calling it a movie. That's what got Star Trek into box office trouble lately. Abrams is guilty of nothing worse than knowing how to make a successful movie.
Closed Thread