Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Dredd?
Excellent 40 50.00%
Good 31 38.75%
Average 4 5.00%
A bit poor 3 3.75%
Awful 2 2.50%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 13 2012, 06:03 PM   #151
Jax
Admiral

Re: Dredd - Grade, Review, Discuss, Spoilers

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Indeed and at least they did something interesting and imaginative with the 3D, which is more than you can say of most 3D films of recent years.
I thought the 3D was dreadful (no pun intended). The film had no need for it and it did affect ticket sales IMO since 3D costs more and the 2D selections were very very limited.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 07:31 PM   #152
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Jax wrote: View Post
Reverend wrote: View Post
^Indeed and at least they did something interesting and imaginative with the 3D, which is more than you can say of most 3D films of recent years.
I thought the 3D was dreadful (no pun intended). The film had no need for it and it did affect ticket sales IMO since 3D costs more and the 2D selections were very very limited.
That would confirm my suspicion about 3D being a catch-22: Filming in 3D allows small-budget pictures to get "free" funding, but it means really poor sales if it's not a well-known IP.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 08:39 AM   #153
Starkers
Admiral

Well I feel I've done my bit, seen the film twice and bought the soundtrack

By the way, I've been meaning to ask people's views on something. Early on in the film, when the Chief Judge gets Anderson to tell her who she's standing with she describes Dredd, and then frowns and seems to be about to say something else about him when the Chief Judge cuts her off. What were people's ideas about this?

I assumed Anderson was picking up on the fact that Joe is a clone, that seems the obvious explanation, just wondered if anyone had other ideas/had heard anything different?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 03:18 PM   #154
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I suspect it might have to do with what Dredd calls the "Big Lie". See: "A Letter to Judge Dredd"
Urban has said in interviews that this is a direction he'd like to explore in any future films and the filmmakers have said they wouldn't tackle the dark Judges until at least the third film, with the second being about the Cursed Earth, so I think "Tale of the Dead Man" must have been on their minds. A shame that it's unlikely to happen now.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16 2012, 04:36 PM   #155
Starkers
Admiral

Hmm, tale of the Dead Man would be hella tricky to do though, given you not only have to introduce the Dark Judges, but also Krakken and the Judda as well! If they had the opportunity then the first of second Death story would be best (maybe the first with added Fire/Fear/Mortis. Hell of an ending too,
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 09:04 PM   #156
Saul
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed that. Stylish, simple, great soundtrack, doesn't try to be anything else. It was the positive word of mouth that got me into see it. Shame if there is no sequel. Go see it people!

Edit: I had no choice but to see this is 3D. Was pissed off that I had to pay extra for something I didn't want. I wonder how many others this might have put off.
Old October 20 2012, 12:25 AM   #157
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Hmm, tale of the Dead Man would be hella tricky to do though, given you not only have to introduce the Dark Judges, but also Krakken and the Judda as well! If they had the opportunity then the first of second Death story would be best (maybe the first with added Fire/Fear/Mortis. Hell of an ending too,
They wouldn't have to use every last detail, just the broad strokes. Indeed, it's best to cherry pick from the early Dark Judge stories and roll it all into a sort of Necropolis/Dead Man mash-up. You don't need Judda or Krakken or even McGruder to do it. The core plot would be along the lines of say: Dredd has taken the long walk into the Cursed Earth (possibly at the end of movie #2) then all hell breaks loose in MC1 as the Dark Judges begin to reshape this world in their own image.
The rest of the movie is Anderson fighting for survival and Dredd making his way back to take out whatever Mcguffin is the cause of it all.

You don't even need to use the dimension jump angle. What if they gain access to this world though a powerful psychic? If not Anderson herself then maybe a friend, or some mutant kid? It's a good way to keep Anderson in the film and show more of Psi Division and not have to come up with some reason why scientists are fecking around with dimensional portals--which let's be honest, is rather incongruous with the image of a city hanging on my it's fingernails with which we were presented in 'Dredd'.
Or what if they change the origin altogether and make Death a real city Judge who went out on the long walk and came back a powerful mutant?

That's just off the top of my head. There's all kinds of directions to approach this from.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 03:23 PM   #158
Ethros
Vice Admiral

According to Amazon the UK DVD/Blu-ray is released on 14 January.

A definite purchase
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 08:28 PM   #159
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
I'll pick it up eventually. Maybe as a $10 or less DVD at some point during '13.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2012, 09:30 PM   #160
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'll be getting it for sure. I have seen it twice now and absolutely love it...and the score is brilliant, one of my favourites of the year as well.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27 2012, 08:02 PM   #161
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Definitely be buying the Bluray on release day. Can't wait to watch it again.
Old January 13 2013, 06:55 PM   #162
davejames
Vice Admiral

Finally saw this on blu-ray, and damn, that was a pretty kickass movie. I don't know much of anything about Judge Dredd, but the execution was so damn good it didn't really matter. The direction and score were fantastic, and with all the brutal violence and exploding heads it almost had the feel of another Robocop.

The only small complaint I have is that Dredd didn't do anything in this but... shoot people. Maybe it wouldn't have stood out as much before, but after already watching The Raid, with all it's amazing and elaborate fight scenes, I couldn't help but notice it now (hell, even Robo punched a couple people now and then!)

Shame the movie bombed at the box office and probably won't get a sequel now (although to be fair the trailers DID make it look pretty shitty and generic).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 06:56 PM   #163
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

I re-watched this yesterday and I realise there is an small bit of this film that bugs me - when Back-up arrives and they simply accept on face value that the blast doors are stuck and just stand around. Other than that, really enjoyed this.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:47 PM   #164
Ethros
Vice Admiral

It's released here tomorrow, will definitely be picking it up
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2013, 07:52 PM   #165
John Clark
Commodore

For me, the blu ray version is in the post