RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 492
Newest member: Spectral

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 3 2012, 09:13 PM   #331
Christopher
Writer

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

^How is that worse than shipping brothers? Seriously, I'm not saying I'd like to imagine those two together, I'm just saying that shippers online have done many, many things that make that seem downright healthy by comparison. Look here, if you dare:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackPairing

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:27 PM   #332
Dream
Admiral

Let's not forget the original slash couple Kirk/Spock started by the crazy fans!
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:34 PM   #333
Harvey
Admiral

Sam and Dean is nothing. What gets me are the slash stories that pair up the brothers with their father. Ugh.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 10:24 PM   #334
stj
Rear Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
CBS isn't desperate enough to stream episodes online as I recall.
Not sure where you got that idea from, because the network definitely does stream its stuff online. I've watched Survivor episodes on their site before, and they have the Elementary pilot available right now as well if you do want to rewatch it.
Trying and failing to find episodes I missed. I hadn't looked again since I couldn't find any last year. So, thanks again.
Old October 4 2012, 02:00 AM   #335
the G-man
Commodore

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Didn't you catch the part in the pilot where Holmes said that while he found sex distasteful, he needed it as part of his "process," which was why the hooker was just leaving when Watson showed up? It's certainly not a love life, but it is a sex life.
No. That must have been when I was answering the phone.

But, wait! Bland, generic, safe CBS has the hero using a prositute? You must be pulling my leg. Giving Holmes a sex life is just too radical a break with tradition for the senior citizens who are the only ones who watch CBS.
And not just any prostitute, but a tattooed hussy whom (it's implied) specializes in bondage . . . .
That's not exactly groundbreaking after CSI's Grissom and Lady Heather.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 05:39 AM   #336
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Didn't you catch the part in the pilot where Holmes said that while he found sex distasteful, he needed it as part of his "process," which was why the hooker was just leaving when Watson showed up? It's certainly not a love life, but it is a sex life.
No. That must have been when I was answering the phone.

But, wait! Bland, generic, safe CBS has the hero using a prositute? You must be pulling my leg. Giving Holmes a sex life is just too radical a break with tradition for the senior citizens who are the only ones who watch CBS.

Ah, I get it! You're pulling my leg!Surely if such a thing had happened people would have discussed this instead of babbling about bland and safe! It would have been a big deal.
Even CBS comedies have references to (if not out right portrayals of) sex, including characters who pay for it.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2012, 09:16 AM   #337
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^How is that worse than shipping brothers? Seriously, I'm not saying I'd like to imagine those two together, I'm just saying that shippers online have done many, many things that make that seem downright healthy by comparison. Look here, if you dare:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackPairing
I'm just f*cking with ya. This conversation reminds me of something I read about the director Rob Reiner. I think it was Billy Crystal who said that Reiner is a sick SOB. You'd be walking down the street with him and he'd say something like 'See that fat guy over there? You have a choice. You have to f*ck him or else you can f*ck your own mother...'
Old October 11 2012, 08:00 PM   #338
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Still not a bad show, but between his stubble and the way he dresses, I think this take on Holmes is more to try and be like "House" than the famous detective. (Who, yes, House was loosely based but the Holmes of the books was a bit more better kept and concerned about his appearance than either House or this take on Holmes seem to be.)
Old October 13 2012, 05:41 AM   #339
Saul
Rear Admiral

It does kinda feel like another House. Could be House and Cuddy gone off to investigate. The clothes of Holmes, the music, the prostitutes, the banter between him and Watson reminds me of House.
Old October 13 2012, 02:36 PM   #340
Takeru
Fleet Captain

Saul wrote: View Post
It does kinda feel like another House. Could be House and Cuddy gone off to investigate. The clothes of Holmes, the music, the prostitutes, the banter between him and Watson reminds me of House.
That's because House was another Sherlock, the show was often described as "Sherlock Holmes as a doctor".

Holmes = House
Watson = Wilson
Takeru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 02:55 PM   #341
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

That's exactly the feel I have of Elementary -- it's House with murders. Yes, I realize that House was Sherlock Holmes with medicine, but House feels more like the template for this show than the Canon. Lucy Liu's Watson seems more like a blend of Wilson and Cuddy than a derivation of the original Watson, while Miller's Holmes reminds me of House in his playful, manic moods.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 06:35 PM   #342
davejames
Vice Admiral

The difference is House (at least for much of it's run) was MUCH better written.

BTW, I just saw what Lucy wore on Letterman the other night. God Damn.

http://www.lazygirls.info/Lucy_Liu/L...11_12_kUz64RDW
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 09:03 PM   #343
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
That's exactly the feel I have of Elementary -- it's House with murders. Yes, I realize that House was Sherlock Holmes with medicine, but House feels more like the template for this show than the Canon. Lucy Liu's Watson seems more like a blend of Wilson and Cuddy than a derivation of the original Watson, while Miller's Holmes reminds me of House in his playful, manic moods.
Sort of my feeling, especially in how Holmes dresses, some sort of T-Shirt (usually a rock band one for house) with a partly buttoned shirt over it and then a suit-jacket over the whole thing. All wrinkled, and then stubble.

The Holmes of the books was very neat and clean, said to have a "cat-like obsession with his appearance" by Watson. The Holmes in "Sherlock" doesn't fit this and much more closely matches House's take on his appearance.

Yes, House was inspired by Sherlock Holmes in numerous ways (over the course of the series, though, his team more took over the "Watson" role, while Wilson just remained House's closest (only) friend. Wilson rarely played in part in House's "investigations.") But House's appearance strikes me as an entirely unique character trait rather than trying to emulate Holmes. Even the RDJ "Holmes" movies somewhat borrow from the "House" model with their take on Holmes being a bit scruffier and less concerned about appearance.

But CBS' Holmes and just overall mannerism strikes me as more "House-like" than Sherlock Holmes like.
Old October 23 2012, 08:03 PM   #344
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

CBS has given Elementary a full season order, bringing us up to 22 episodes.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 08:05 PM   #345
Christopher
Writer

Yay!

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote