Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 12 2012, 11:15 AM   #31
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

Oh I'm sure I'll be rewatching SG:A, it had that VOY cheese element which is a lot of fun as well as developing some nice chemistry as it went along. Plus.. Bob Picardo! So I might join you on that rewatch if someone starts one up.. after I finish these 10 seasons, LOL

Enigma:
An excellent story, with the bad guy turning out to be a bit of a prick in personality only, in the end we find out he had the best interests of everyone in mind. Omoc was very well acted, reserved and bored and just a bit pissy. Great presence.

Carter's suitor was most unsuitable, quite a stiff fellow. Perhaps the cat will improve him.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 12 2012, 12:14 PM   #32
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Solitudes: Enjoyable two people stranded ep with a nice twist. I bet the shippers went mad on this one

I'll be taking a few days off my rewatch as I'll be offworld for a bit.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 12 2012, 02:18 PM   #33
Claudia
Fleet Captain

@ Singularity: This is again an first episode dealing with children (with Cold Lazarus which of course had quite a different impact on O'Neill), and even though Jack isn't the focus here, it really shows how well he deals with them. He's not always just the dumb jokster, and the certain softness adds to his character. Granted, Sam knowing nothing would happen cheapens the moment in the bunker, though.

@ Cor-Ai: I think that was the first episode where I really started to appreciate Teal'c, and also Daniel's relationship with him. This is the person who selected Sha're and Daniel fights to exonerate him (even though Teal'c himself didn't want him to).

@ Enigma: I enjoyed the glimpse of other military branches, an advanced race having some kind of Prime Directive (brought on by experience), and the return of the Nox. I'd have prefered if there wasn't some kind love story going on... especially since that theme carries on later.

@ Solitudes: I absolutely love that episode especially because of the twist that the SGC searches for Jack and Sam on another planet when they're right under their noses. Loved especially Daniel and Hammond here. Oh yes, that's absolutely a shipper-episode. *g* (Sam: Uh... sir? Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear.) But is it just my impression that they packed quite a bit of MacGyver's background in here as well? Weren't both stranded in Iraq at one time? BTW, there's an absolutely brilliant blooper on youtube if anyone hasn't seen it already. *g*
Old October 12 2012, 03:28 PM   #34
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Claudia wrote: View Post
@ Singularity: This is again an first episode dealing with children (with Cold Lazarus which of course had quite a different impact on O'Neill), and even though Jack isn't the focus here, it really shows how well he deals with them. He's not always just the dumb jokster, and the certain softness adds to his character. Granted, Sam knowing nothing would happen cheapens the moment in the bunker, though.

@ Cor-Ai: I think that was the first episode where I really started to appreciate Teal'c, and also Daniel's relationship with him. This is the person who selected Sha're and Daniel fights to exonerate him (even though Teal'c himself didn't want him to).

@ Enigma: I enjoyed the glimpse of other military branches, an advanced race having some kind of Prime Directive (brought on by experience), and the return of the Nox. I'd have prefered if there wasn't some kind love story going on... especially since that theme carries on later.

@ Solitudes: I absolutely love that episode especially because of the twist that the SGC searches for Jack and Sam on another planet when they're right under their noses. Loved especially Daniel and Hammond here. Oh yes, that's absolutely a shipper-episode. *g* (Sam: Uh... sir? Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear.) But is it just my impression that they packed quite a bit of MacGyver's background in here as well? Weren't both stranded in Iraq at one time? BTW, there's an absolutely brilliant blooper on youtube if anyone hasn't seen it already. *g*
MacGyver ran from 1985 to 1992. Gulf War I (Western Allies force Iraq out of Kuwait) Lasted from August 1990 to February 1991, so, if it involved the US being in an armed conflict, it certainly wasn't Iraq for MacGyver's backstory, if anything it would be a S6 or S7 episode

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 12 2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
MacGyver ran from 1985 to 1992. Gulf War I (Western Allies force Iraq out of Kuwait) Lasted from August 1990 to February 1991, so, if it involved the US being in an armed conflict, it certainly wasn't Iraq for MacGyver's backstory, if anything it would be a S6 or S7 episode
I know that it can't be Desert Storm with MacGyver. But I think it was mentioned that he was on some kind of a mission in Iraq during the Iran/Iraq-war. I know that there's at least one episode where he was in Afghanistan, but as I said, I remember something about Iraq in his background as well...

It wasn't in an armed conflict the US were overtly in - I never got the impression that MacGyver was a soldier. But it could have been a reconaissance mission or a mission to retrieve something.
Old October 12 2012, 05:47 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I know that it can't be Desert Storm with MacGyver. But I think it was mentioned that he was on some kind of a mission in Iraq during the Iran/Iraq-war. I know that there's at least one episode where he was in Afghanistan, but as I said, I remember something about Iraq in his background as well...

It wasn't in an armed conflict the US were overtly in - I never got the impression that MacGyver was a soldier. But it could have been a reconaissance mission or a mission to retrieve something.
Ah, OK, my bad

I only ever watched a couple episodes of it. I thought he was an ex-Vet turned Spy, and you were referring to his Military Service

So, yea, the time of the Series would be about right for him to have been involved in a covert Operation in the Region as a Spy before or during the Series

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 12 2012, 08:20 PM   #37
gturner
Admiral

RDA's experience on MacGyver gave us the format of SG-1. The idea was pitched to him and he watched and rewatched the movie, and said he'd do the TV show as long as it was an ensemble cast. He said that in MacGyver he was in just about every frame, which was grueling, and as a result he had no life during the show's run.

If you go back and look at the movie, there are really only two main actors, Kurt Russell and James Spader, and if you translated that into a series it would be a show about Jack O'Neill (90%), and his archeologist sidekick who occassionally shows up to solve a puzzle.
Old October 12 2012, 10:49 PM   #38
AJ86
Captain

I wouldn't go that far, Daniel was the main protagonist much more than Jack was.
Old October 12 2012, 11:15 PM   #39
teacake
Fleet Admiral

No. No. NOOOO...
@ Solitudes: I absolutely love that episode especially because of the twist that the SGC searches for Jack and Sam on another planet when they're right under their noses. Loved especially Daniel and Hammond here. Oh yes, that's absolutely a shipper-episode. *g* (Sam: Uh... sir? Jack: It's my sidearm, I swear.)
That was another one of those great "this aint Star Trek" moments. 5 series and you'd never get an funny little exchange like that.

Also I have never seen Macgyver.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 13 2012, 12:05 AM   #40
gturner
Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go that far, Daniel was the main protagonist much more than Jack was.
Yes, he was, in framing the back story, figuring out how the gate works and then how to get the team back home, but having already solved those problems in the movie, he wasn't really necessary for the TV series since it was an action/adventure show. The Daniel character could've been just a supporting role, something like General Hammond or Dr. Frasier, with the main focus being on O'Neill and his team of "this week's redshirts."

I'm glad they didn't go that route, but if RDA had been a camera hog it probably could've turned out that way.
Old October 13 2012, 12:07 AM   #41
gturner
Admiral

teacock wrote: View Post

Nor should you.
Old October 13 2012, 12:48 AM   #42
teacake
Fleet Admiral

gturner wrote: View Post

I'm glad they didn't go that route, but if RDA had been a camera hog it probably could've turned out that way.
So far the ensemble element is pretty impressive.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 13 2012, 06:39 AM   #43
Claudia
Fleet Captain

RDA's experience on MacGyver gave us the format of SG-1. The idea was pitched to him and he watched and rewatched the movie, and said he'd do the TV show as long as it was an ensemble cast. He said that in MacGyver he was in just about every frame, which was grueling, and as a result he had no life during the show's run.
That's interesting to know - and so good for this show.

Sorry, I don't want to hijack this thread, but I fear I'll forget to ask when we get to season 4 or 5... *scatterbrain

@ Enigma: ... I'd have prefered if there wasn't some kind love story going on... especially since that theme carries on later.
No. No. NOOOO...
It's pretty understated, so don't fear.

Nor should you.
I loved MacGyver as a kid, .... well, mostly because of RDA . I'm glad his charisma carried over to SG-1, but not his hairstyle... OTOH, it was great to see a guy not rely on guns and fists for a change.
Old October 13 2012, 10:29 AM   #44
lurok
Commodore

Me neither. But there's a load of cult shows never seen (Quantum Leap, Babylon 5, Farscape, BSG, pre-RD Dr Who, etc). Intrigued also by the dynamic in Claudia's spoiler.
Old October 14 2012, 11:08 AM   #45
teacake
Fleet Admiral

My confession: until very recently I thought Macgyver was a fictional show doted on by Bart Simpson's aunts. I was shocked to realize it was real.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne