Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old October 12 2012, 11:09 PM   #76
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: Tuvix - dumbest character in star trek history?

And if you believe The Eternal Tide peace and war must continually hold each other in balance in some great yin yang cosmospiritual thingie.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 12:25 AM   #77
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I always thought Barclay was one of the dumbest characters in Trek. Granted he's a capable engineer, but someone with that many obvious mental health issues should never be allowed aboard a starship. He's unstable to say the least and I wouldn't trust him with my car...if I had a car. How he ever made it through the academy and manged to get posted on the Enterprise-D is miraculous. He must have had dirt on Picard...scandalous photos of his vacation on Risa no doubt. That just about he only way to justify how someone so unstable would be allowed serving in Starfleet, which constitutes a character so poorly created that he is in fact, dumber than Tuvix.

That being said, I've only seen Tuvix once, and only remember the general premise of the episode, so far in as the two main characters being fused into one new being. Certainly stranger things have happened with the Transporter, so it's not so far beyond the realm of possibility that in of itself, the creation of Tuvix is inherently a poor idea.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 12:37 AM   #78
teacake
Admiral

I can't remember how Barclay was that serious a mental health situation.. all I remember is the social anxiety and holo addiction. TNG is my least watched series.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 13 2012, 06:19 AM   #79
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

His severe social anxiety, holo addiction stemming from an obsession with imaginary characters, and self conscious behavior and attitudes extending into a perception of inadequacy; in addition to his fear of transporters, which was cute when Bones did it because it was sort of a joke, but with Barclay it was a crippling disability at least until he overcame it, all contributed to the hindrance of his performance on numerous occasions.

Now granted, knowing a thing or two personally about disability, I'd never be one to say what one should or shouldn't be able to do, but I also know where that 'don't discriminate against me because of my disability' ends and where I have to be honest with myself about what I can actually do.

The same level of honesty should be applied to Barclay and his disabilities, and that's exactly what they are because on numerous occasions his various mental disorders prevented him from performing his job. Starfleet must be pretty lenient though, because in any other situation with a command structure like Starfleet, he would have been fired.

And if Starfleet is supposed to be the best and the brightest, than they've lowered their standards, because he only meets half that qualification. He has the brains, but I would not want him representing the entire Federation, which is what every Starfleet officer is. In any real psych evaluation, he would have been red flagged during the academy if not before, and not been allowed to enter the academy or graduate.

Plus, I don't like that he's supposed to be a satirical composite of Trekies, and how he just happens to possess many of the worst stereotypes about Star Trek fans. I'm surprised they didn't have him living in what amounts to some sort of basement of the Enterprise.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 08:21 AM   #80
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

He held together better than he did on the A-team each week.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 01:43 PM   #81
MacLeod
Admiral

People who have a social anxiety can be highly confident in areas in which they are comfortable. It's when they are outside their confident zone that their anxity comes to the fore.

Does it really matter if he finds social situtations uncomfortable, if he is able to perform his job?
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 01:59 PM   #82
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

His job is not to go to a bar, and not be seduced by a sexy surgically altered Romulan spy.

He'd hand over the keys to the Federation for half a blow job.

Old October 14 2012, 10:58 AM   #83
teacake
Admiral

At least Archer, for all his blocked up issues, got suspicious and pulled the plug on the Chinese crested lady without giving up any info.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 14 2012, 12:38 PM   #84
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

2 Nights, 2 days?

His choices were, route the spy, or read a 6 thousand page biography on Surak.

Considering how little he knew about the guy in season 4... Methinks he didn't get past the forward on T'Pol's present.

Or are you talking about Rajiin?

Old October 14 2012, 11:08 PM   #85
teacake
Admiral

Two days and two nights. Chinese crested was the dog breed. They are the rambutans of dogs, every time they need an alien dog they get a chinese crested. And yes in the Surak arc they should have had T'Pol turn to him at some point and say, "You didn't read the book, did you." And then Archer would look sheepish and all the A/T people would think this was sweet and everyone else would think not knowing anything about the central figure in Vulcan history and culture just made him look like an idiot.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 15 2012, 03:12 AM   #86
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Had a novel thought about Tuvix's plight.

He couldn't run away because they would chase him, and he couldn't stay because they would kill him.

I mean sure, he could try to take over the ship.

Tuvix vs 140 (mostly)Starfleet officers?

or...

He cold have "killed" the Doctor.

Erased his program, which is ostensibly the medical database.

It was certainly selfdefence, a "him or me" situation.

And if Janeway could kill one person to save two, then it must be morally sound to kill a hologram to save an actual real person, the same way it's totally ethical to put a GI Joe doll in the microwave if it will (magically) save you from stomach cancer.

Look how easily the Doctor killed his Equinoix counterpart in Equinox part 2?

Tuvix was 2nd Officer.

He totally had clearance and authority to delete the Doctor.

And after he stood there in the vacuum created by that obnoxious personality had blinked out forever... What were the legal repercussions?

Vandalism?

Sabotage?

That's nothing.

Seriously without an EMH, Tuvix was the only one with smarts enough, other than kes, who could study up to be a doctor fast enough to be of any use to the ship.

I can't believe it took me 16 years to come up with this.

Old October 15 2012, 04:24 AM   #87
GSnail
Lieutenant Commander

I feel like they wouldn't let that go. Like, now he's killed the doctor, do we really want him treating people? Probably would add more fuel to the fire, not only are two lives at stake, but he's a definite danger.

Was he really second officer? I mean I know he had Tuvok's rank and he was chief of security, but you'd think they wouldn't put a transporter accident that high up...
Old October 15 2012, 06:02 AM   #88
teacake
Admiral

It was completely stupid they let him at the controls on the bridge. They should not have just continued to trust him. If he's a whole new person then he's a whole new person that needs to earn people's trust, maybe pass a few exams to make sure a chunk of starfleet training didn't get lost in Neelix's recipe index.

As to killing the EMH, that might have happened if it had gone on a few more weeks. I think he would have outgrown his Neelix insecurities and possibly become ruthless, but he was kind of an embryonic personality still when they came for him.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 15 2012, 08:28 AM   #89
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The writers decided that a month was long enough for Tuvix to develop as a fully grown person in the eyes of the crew.

Oh.

A Briefing with Tuvix?

And what about reruns if that sucker is syndicated?

You tune in to the "a briefing with Neelix" channel every now and then set to random and there's Tuvix thanking the crew for welcoming him into their hearts.

"Awkward."

Last edited by Guy Gardener; October 16 2012 at 03:44 AM.
Old October 16 2012, 02:50 AM   #90
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Would Tuvix continue Neelix's little morning talk show?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote