Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old October 12 2012, 09:29 PM   #121
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: Last Classic Who Story you watched

Orac Zen wrote: View Post
I'm partway through Warriors of the Deep; so far it's at least as good as I remember it.
...which is a polite way of saying...not very good. The nuanced, multi-dimensional beings of Hulke's episodes are gone, and it's one of the very, very few classic Who episodes where the production values are so poor I actually notice them. The one very much leads to the other.

Definitely not a patch on either of the serials that led to it.
Old October 13 2012, 12:39 AM   #122
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I'm partway through Warriors of the Deep; so far it's at least as good as I remember it.
...which is a polite way of saying...not very good. The nuanced, multi-dimensional beings of Hulke's episodes are gone, and it's one of the very, very few classic Who episodes where the production values are so poor I actually notice them. The one very much leads to the other.

Definitely not a patch on either of the serials that led to it.
Yeah, it's a pretty terrible story. But then, it was in the midst of a pretty dismal era of the series generally. This is certainly one of Turlough's most grating stories. Especially at the end of Part 1 when he immediately writes off the Doctor as having drowned to death when he's barely been in the water long enough to get his hair wet.

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
Robot (Fourth Doctor).

An interesting start for the Fourth Doctor but I think it borrows too heavily from Asimov. A robot with emotions story tends to grate on me quickly. I did however enjoy the twist of Professor Kettlewell being the founder of SRS.

The Ark in Space (Fourth Doctor).

Another well written story and the first real outerspace adventure since Frontier in Space. The Wirms were somewhat hokey but I liked the idea of people being used as incubators, a precursor to Alien.
I found Professor Kettlewell's heel-turn even more surprising after he had already played the kindly Professor Watkins in "The Invasion." You just can't imagine that actor ever wanting to hurt a fly.

And I definately think "The Ark in Space" is an archetypal example of classic Doctor Who at its best. And I think the Doctor/Sarah Jane/Harry triad is a very underrated TARDIS team. Once Harry left, I found the interactions between the Doctor & Sarah Jane far less interesting.

I've seen every available Second Doctor serial now except The Invasion and The Krotons.
Ooh! "The Invasion" is my all-time favorite story of any era. Between the 2nd Doctor, Jamie, Zoe, the Brigadier, the introduction of UNIT, and the excellent Tobias Vaughn as the villain, it simply hits on all cylinders. Plus, the animated reconstructions of Parts 1 & 4 are very well done, with a stylish noir feel that almost eclipses the episodes the still exist.
Old October 13 2012, 12:53 AM   #123
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

I just finished "The Mind of Evil," "The Claws of Axos," & "The Daemons." I think they're both really fun UNIT stories. I love the way they were developing the characters of Captain Yates & Sgt. Benton and their relationship with each other. Plus, lots of fun motorcycle chases.

I was a bit annoyed with Stephen Thorne's portrayal of the head Daemon. While I love his rendition of Omega in "The Three Doctors," I think he needed to tone down the screaming a bit in "The Daemons."
Old October 13 2012, 01:28 AM   #124
DWF
Vice Admiral

When did The Mind Of Evil come out on DVD?
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 11:24 AM   #125
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
And I definately think "The Ark in Space" is an archetypal example of classic Doctor Who at its best. And I think the Doctor/Sarah Jane/Harry triad is a very underrated TARDIS team. Once Harry left, I found the interactions between the Doctor & Sarah Jane far less interesting.
I couldn't agree more. Baker and Marter had very good rapport.
Old October 13 2012, 12:14 PM   #126
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I loved Harry. It's too bad Iain Marter died so young. I am older now than he was when he died.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 12:47 PM   #127
Lonemagpie
Writer

Invisible Enemy for the first time in many years, having found the DVD (i.e. a working one without the mastering error) in a charity shop last week...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 08:51 PM   #128
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

The Third Doctors this afternoon on Netflixs - I forget how Posh, Old and White Doctor Who used to be - everyone enunciate like they are performing on stage in front of some half-deaf simpletons. The Timelord scenes are particularly bad, I kept wondering if the Timelords would go up in smokes if they got too near a naked flame.

Still Omega was a lot of fun and if I can paraphrase an old review - "Omega does not chew scenery. Omega starts neatly at each corner of the set in every scene and swallows it whole, costars and all."
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 09:53 PM   #129
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Watched The Dominators over the weekend. More Troughton-era goodness, although the less said about those utterly hideous costumes the better, methinks. Reasonably coherent and thought-provoking, and of course, Troughton.
Old October 14 2012, 11:07 PM   #130
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

I started rewatching Ark in Space today. The Doctors scene about the indomitability of humans was joyful.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2012, 11:54 PM   #131
Lowdarzz
Captain

Revenge of the Cybermen (Fourth Doctor).

I was forced to skip over The Sontaran Experiment and Genesis of the Daleks since the library doesn't have copies of either. An excellent story featuring the cyberman design I remember from the Doctor Who on PBS days. The Doctor had quite a few good one-liners in this one.

"Careful, careful! I might explode."

"Harry Sullivan is an imbecile!"

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
I've seen every available Second Doctor serial now except The Invasion and The Krotons.
Ooh! "The Invasion" is my all-time favorite story of any era. Between the 2nd Doctor, Jamie, Zoe, the Brigadier, the introduction of UNIT, and the excellent Tobias Vaughn as the villain, it simply hits on all cylinders. Plus, the animated reconstructions of Parts 1 & 4 are very well done, with a stylish noir feel that almost eclipses the episodes the still exist.
I'm looking forward to The Invasion with the first appearance of UNIT but I'll probably have to buy it in order to see it. The Krotons is the only one of the two serials I mentioned that the library has a copy of.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 06:54 PM   #132
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Last night, I watched The Sensorites again. Not a great story, but still pretty darn fun.
Old October 16 2012, 12:56 AM   #133
The Wormhole
Admiral

Watched The Leisure Hive today. Less than impressed with that one.
Old October 17 2012, 03:42 PM   #134
Lowdarzz
Captain

Pyramids of Mars (Fourth Doctor).

An interesting look into Egyptian mythology Doctor Who style. The entire basis of Egyptian religion centers on a war between the various members of an alien race known as the Osirians. Sutekh worked very well in his scenes with the Doctor. It's too bad the writers decided to kill him off. A powerful alien with a desire to eliminate all other life would have been interesting to see again.

I know get the reference Sarah Jane made to mummies in the 10th Doctor episode School Reunion.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2012, 10:00 PM   #135
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

The Ambassadors of Death. It's a Pertwee serial so obviously I'm going to enjoy it, but he's at his finest in this. Some nicely atmospheric / creepy bits, good action scenes, and plenty of thoughtful stuff as well. Brilliant.