Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 8 2012, 04:10 AM   #31
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Re: The Big Bang Theory Season 6 Discussion

Actually, Leonard is a grade A asshole. All he does is stay hunched over making hate-filled, snide remarks about everyone around him if they don't have a pair of tits. Galecki himself doesn't come across much better in interviews either, at least to me.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 10:29 AM   #32
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Yeah he's pretty whiny, but in more of a bitter way than Raj.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 10:00 PM   #33
Brolan
Commodore

Mister Fandango wrote: View Post
Actually, Leonard is a grade A asshole. All he does is stay hunched over making hate-filled, snide remarks about everyone around him if they don't have a pair of tits. Galecki himself doesn't come across much better in interviews either, at least to me.
I saw him on Ferguson a few months ago and was not impressed a bit. Made me wonder how he could keep a gal like Cuoco interested for two years.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 10:07 PM   #34
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Brolan wrote: View Post
I saw him on Ferguson a few months ago and was not impressed a bit. Made me wonder how he could keep a gal like Cuoco interested for two years.
Honestly i never thought of him as an asshole.. maybe people mistake being professional and neutral as something assholish and expect actors to gush over their show endlessly and praise it to high heaven.. i don't know.

Maybe he's got thinner nerves than what's usual for an actor.. i know that fans can be really possessive and rude and if you have been exposed to that for 8-10 hours straight during conventions or something like that you may get fed up and react needlessly aggressive.

On the show i don't see it at all.. he's got the part who brings everydone down to reality when they start to float up into nerd nirvana.. sometimes you need to be a little harsh and direct to show them they are overdoing it.
However i never thought of it as hate filled or snide at all.. i like Leonard a lot and often laugh at his comments (and the others target him too once in a while).
Old October 10 2012, 10:12 PM   #35
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
However i never thought of it as hate filled or snide at all.. i like Leonard a lot and often laugh at his comments (and the others target him too once in a while).
I don't see Leonard as hate-filled or snide, just self-loathing and a bit of a downer. He always seems to be caught in a perpetual cringe . . . .

(Just to be clear, I'm talking about the character, not the actor. I have no opinion regarding Galecki.)
Old October 10 2012, 10:27 PM   #36
Brolan
Commodore

I assume if you use the character's name you are talking about the character. If you use the actor's name you are talking about him or her.
Brolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 04:54 PM   #37
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

I liked Howard going crazy

Old October 12 2012, 05:48 PM   #38
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

It looks like they're setting up a Penny/Leonard/Sheldon's new assistant love triangle...erp.
Old October 12 2012, 06:25 PM   #39
Jimi_James
Lieutenant Commander

View Jimi_James's Twitter Profile

I'm not sure we're watching the same show, because I don't see that at all. Granted Leonard is far from my favorite character, but he's no asshole. I know a few 'grade A assholes' and even consider one of them my friend, and Leonard is nothing like them. What I think gets mistaken for snide or hate filled comments, is just friends giving each other a hard time. I do it to my friends and they do it right back.

If that's your measure of an asshole, than Sheldon certainly falls into that category as well for his treatment of Penny...and just about everyone else. Probably the only difference is that Sheldon does it with a great deal more of his own unique charm, in the form of social awkwardness, in which cases people give him a pass.

My YouTube Gaming Channel
Jimi_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 06:59 PM   #40
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
It looks like they're setting up a Penny/Leonard/Sheldon's new assistant love triangle...erp.
I think it could be interesting. To me it's seemed that Leonard has always been quite insecure about his geekiness. He'll participate thoroughly but when he encounters people who aren't in geek culture he feels ashamed and wants to fit in with them.

Also, Penny has been Leonard's dream girl, but the reverse isn't true. She's never really got into the whole geek aspect, and there's probably a part of him that's always thinking "am I good enough for her?" because he's put her on such a pedestal. This new girl seems to actually 'get' him, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Old October 12 2012, 07:14 PM   #41
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Jimi_James wrote: View Post
I'm not sure we're watching the same show, because I don't see that at all. Granted Leonard is far from my favorite character, but he's no asshole. I know a few 'grade A assholes' and even consider one of them my friend, and Leonard is nothing like them. What I think gets mistaken for snide or hate filled comments, is just friends giving each other a hard time. I do it to my friends and they do it right back.
I don't know. That stunt he pulled on Raj last night--"Tell the new girl all about your work."--was pretty sadistic. He pretty much set Raj up to humiliate himself, just for the fun of torturing him a little.
Old October 12 2012, 09:02 PM   #42
scnj
Captain

I felt like Raj set himself up for that by acting far too cocky right beforehand.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 12:52 AM   #43
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Why on earth does he ever stop drinking?

I think it would be a fantastic misdirect, if the new girl winds up going after Sheldon, after Penny explodes trying to defend her man.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 05:06 AM   #44
scnj
Captain

Didn't they already do an episode where Sheldon had an assistant who was in love with him?
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 05:35 AM   #45
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

trekkiebaggio wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
I think it could be interesting. To me it's seemed that Leonard has always been quite insecure about his geekiness. He'll participate thoroughly but when he encounters people who aren't in geek culture he feels ashamed and wants to fit in with them.

Also, Penny has been Leonard's dream girl, but the reverse isn't true. She's never really got into the whole geek aspect, and there's probably a part of him that's always thinking "am I good enough for her?" because he's put her on such a pedestal. This new girl seems to actually 'get' him, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.
Which is why this may be a kick in the pants for Penny to get over herself. Leonard is a great guy, he's just not the jock type but a guy who a woman would be lucky to spend the rest of her life with because he's considerate, intelligent and he really tries in the bedroom!

An asshole jock might be pretty and let you explode in the bedroom but there's nothing beyond that and, at least to me, that's not enough for life.

scnj wrote: View Post
Didn't they already do an episode where Sheldon had an assistant who was in love with him?
Yes.. they had a grad student in season 1 i think but she was way more of a fangirl than this one and psycho to boot. There was not love but she was more the bossy, controlling kind of woman who took over Sheldon's life for the sake of humanity's future.

As Sheldon is so devoid of any romantic or sexual intention this won' t go anywhere but they quickly switched focus to Penny/Leonard.