Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old October 11 2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Grant
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Revisited - New Revelations

Of course it's fondly remembered! I just meant, if it had ended sooner it may have been held in even higher esteem.

As a Trek fan--I'm glad we got season 3, but I was just curious if it had less mockable moments--if it would have been held higher as classic sci-fi rather a 'culty' tv show.

I think it is classy sci-fi, but I think in general maybe to the non-fan who sat down to watch it in the 1970s and was unlucky enough to see "And the Children shall Lead'---it's a WTF moment and he/she thinks "those people are crazy--this is junk."

Last edited by Grant; October 11 2012 at 10:01 PM.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 08:27 PM   #32
Cap'n Claus
Rear Admiral

I get what you're saying, but that can happen with show that has bad episodes. The first seaosn had its share of eye-rollers. The average viewer coming in partway into Charlie X (the rec room scene) or Mudd's Women (any part of it) might change the dial to Lawrence Welk. The Alternative Factor would probably send some people into fits of laughter. Taken out of context, Kirk vs the Gorn is laughable to some people.

I really don't think the lesser episodes hurt the enjoyment of the series in the long run, there were more than enough great episodes to cement its place. I'm just having a hard time thinking one of the most popular shows in TV history could have been more well regarded than it was. It's already classic TV sci-fi. I mean, I got my parents into it in the early 70's and they weren't what you'd call sci-fi fans. Not until much later, anyway.

But hey, what do I know? I wound up loving it, warts and all. That will always color my preceptions.
Old October 13 2012, 12:16 AM   #33
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Without the third season, I don't think there would've been enough episodes for it to thrive in strip syndication.
Old October 13 2012, 04:31 AM   #34
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
You're noticing the Gene Coon shift, as much as any Shatner-acting shift.
No, it's Shatner.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2012, 05:35 PM   #35
Hambone
Fleet Captain

1. Watch MeTV on Saturday evening.

2. Watch the show that comes on 1 hour before Star Trek.

3. Watch Star Trek.

4. Universally agree that Star Trek is a television science fiction masterpiece.
Old October 14 2012, 07:36 PM   #36
AtoZ
Commander

Mr. Spook wrote: View Post
Grant wrote: View Post
I wish the writers, directors or Roddenberry could have said, "pull it back to a slightly more serious tone" and TOS wouldn't be laced with those roll your eyes acting moments.
A lot of what makes the second season great to me is the familiarity and banter between the characters. Shatner didn't really go sailing over the top regularly until the third season when bad directors failed to keep him in check.

I almost think if TOS had been cancelled sooner--it would ironically have been remebered more fondly and held in higher esteem.
When wasn't Trek fondly remembered? It was "the show that would not die," which never left the air after it entered syndication. It became the template for every SF tv series in the 70's (until Star Wars came out), the comparison they had to live up to ("will Space: 1999 inherit the Star Trek crown?" "it lacks the personalities of Star Trek..." etc).

It was already held in high esteem. The third season didn't drag it down, in fact much of the third season provided concepts and character which were greatly loved by fans, especially in the 70's.

It survived quite well with three seasons and I'm happy to have even the crummy episodes. Yes, indeedy.

The only time I remember TOS getting dissed was when TNG was at its peak. Then TNG went away and the original series regained respect. It's a fickle public.
Absolutely.

And what's more, people tend to parrot what they are told. They talk about Shatner being over-the-top, like he was the only big name of that period to perform that way? Have they seen Jack Klugman go at it? I could drop ten more names from that period that loved to ham it up and go loudly over-the-top and really, the difference is Shatner is known more for it because he was in an ATG television show that blazed a trail - and a VERY BIG part of the reason that show went down that way, arguably the way of entertainment genius, was because of what he [Shatner] added to it.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 04:57 AM   #37
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Jack Klugman on Twilight Zone. I like over the top. And meaty, weighty, overactable words like Serling and Roddenberry wrote. Ymmv.
Old October 15 2012, 06:13 PM   #38
AtoZ
Commander

plynch wrote: View Post
Jack Klugman on Twilight Zone. I like over the top. And meaty, weighty, overactable words like Serling and Roddenberry wrote. Ymmv.
I am with you all of the way on that.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2012, 11:13 PM   #39
Captain Rob
Commodore

Hambone wrote: View Post

3. Watch Star Trek.

4. Universally agree that Star Trek is a television science fiction masterpiece.
Oh God.
I accidentally watched MeTV this past Saturday night. The alien of the week on Lost in Space looked like it came from a Bugs Bunny/ Daffy Duck cartoon. Thank God for Netflix and Mythbusters.
Old October 15 2012, 11:19 PM   #40
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Captain Rob wrote: View Post
Hambone wrote: View Post

3. Watch Star Trek.

Oh God.
I accidentally watched MeTV this past Saturday night. The alien of the week on Lost in Space looked like it came from a Bugs Bunny/ Daffy Duck cartoon. Thank God for Netflix and Mythbusters.
Do you mean Lemnoc? Didn't you just love how, in his secret lair, he had a sign with his name in English hanging over his chair?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...mnoc_chair.jpg
Old December 23 2013, 09:48 PM   #41
R.Peeples
Cadet

Cap'n Claus wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.
That actually sounds more like "Where No Man Has Gone Before." The "Charlie" in the title hints at "Charlie X" but Gary Mitchell could have easily been Charlie Mitchell early on. Notice the premise says nothing about an adolescent, but "a very finite man." Was Sam Peeples working off a Roddenberry story idea? Did he read Gene's series outline and pick a premise that sounded most interesting? Or was WMNHGB totally original and this really is "Charlie X?"

Just putting it out there.
Hello, I am Sam Peeples grandson. I know a little/share a little about Sams writing his pilot. My grandmother tells me G. Roddenberry stayed at their home while Sam wrote 'Where No Man Has Gone Before'. She said G.R.'s pilot was fantasy and that Sam taught G.R. how to write Sci-Fi. She said GR "learned fast". I'm not into Star Trek outside of Sam's pilot and the lastest Trek feature films, so I can't contribute much. I inherited a book that belonged to Sam (GR, The Myth And The Man Behind Star Trek), the author gave it to Sam as a gift. In it the author said that Sam had the [worlds?] largest private collection of Sci Fi magazines and/or books - and that GR photographed many magazine covers to use as research/to a aid in the designing the Enterprise.

Thanks for talking of Sam, that's how I found this forum.

Last edited by R.Peeples; December 23 2013 at 10:34 PM.
R.Peeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23 2013, 10:00 PM   #42
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

R.Peeples wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
Roddenberry earned story credit on "Charlie X" for the following sentence: "The accidental occurrence of infinite power to do all things, in the hands of a very finite man." Fontana wrote the story outline and the teleplay.
That actually sounds more like "Where No Man Has Gone Before." The "Charlie" in the title hints at "Charlie X" but Gary Mitchell could have easily been Charlie Mitchell early on. Notice the premise says nothing about an adolescent, but "a very finite man." Was Sam Peeples working off a Roddenberry story idea? Did he read Gene's series outline and pick a premise that sounded most interesting? Or was WMNHGB totally original and this really is "Charlie X?"

Hello, I am Sam Peeples grandson. I know a little/share a little about Sams writing his pilot. My grandmother tells me G. Roddenberry stayed at their home while Sam wrote 'Where No Man Has God Before'. She said G.R.'s pilot was fantasy and that Sam taught G.R. how to write Sci-Fi. She said GR "learned fast". I'm not into Star Trek outside of Sam's pilot and the lastest Trek feature films, so I can't contribute much. I inherited a book that belonged to Sam (GR, The Myth And The Man Behind Star Trek), the author gave it to Sam as a gift. In it the author said that Sam had the [worlds?] largest private collection of Sci Fi magazines and/or books - and that GR photographed many magazine covers to use as research/to a aid in the designing the Enterprise.

Welcome, R.

HARVEY on here has done a lot of research into GR's papers, so you should Private Message with him to see if he has any info about your grandfather which you might find interesting.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 12:12 AM   #43
R.Peeples
Cadet

Maurice wrote: View Post

Hello, I am Sam Peeples grandson. I know a little/share a little about Sams writing his pilot. My grandmother tells me G. Roddenberry stayed at their home while Sam wrote 'Where No Man Has God Before'. She said G.R.'s pilot was fantasy and that Sam taught G.R. how to write Sci-Fi. She said GR "learned fast". I'm not into Star Trek outside of Sam's pilot and the lastest Trek feature films, so I can't contribute much. I inherited a book that belonged to Sam (GR, The Myth And The Man Behind Star Trek), the author gave it to Sam as a gift. In it the author said that Sam had the [worlds?] largest private collection of Sci Fi magazines and/or books - and that GR photographed many magazine covers to use as research/to a aid in the designing the Enterprise.

Welcome, R.

HARVEY on here has done a lot of research into GR's papers, so you should Private Message with him to see if he has any info about your grandfather which you might find interesting.

Thank you Maurice, that's exactly what I was hoping--to learn more of Sam and/or how the show was picked up, rejected etc.

Q: I'm curious as to where the Desilu Studio was located (at the time Star Trek was picked up by Desilu). I think this is the current location. http://www.redstudio.com/history

Q: I'm curious as to how envolved Desi or Lucy were in the purchasing or shepherding of the show and pilot/s.

Thank you.
R.Peeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 01:01 AM   #44
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

As a Trek fan--I'm glad we got season 3, but I was just curious if it had less mockable moments--if it would have been held higher as classic sci-fi rather a 'culty' tv show.
IMO - there were bad episodes in EVERY Star Trek (TOS) Season (but like the majority here, I prefer the first season as well over the other two.)

That said, I'm still happy we got a third Season as I loved a number of S3 episodes like:

"The Tholian Web"

"Day Of The Dove" (Michael Ansara as 'Kang' is still my favorite Klingon portrayal in the 47 years of the Star Trek franchise. I love when he just steps up to Kirk, and without a word, just slaps Kirk to the ground, literally.)

"The Enterprise Incident"

and while some will groan at this last one, it was the first Star Trek episode I saw first run on NBC (I was 6 years old at the time):

"Elaan Of Troyius"

So, wes, while I agree that a lot of the third Season is not that good, there are still quite a few gems from it that I am glad I got to see.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24 2013, 01:18 AM   #45
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Thank you Maurice, that's exactly what I was hoping--to learn more of Sam and/or how the show was picked up, rejected etc.

Q: I'm curious as to where the Desilu Studio was located (at the time Star Trek was picked up by Desilu). I think this is the current location. http://www.redstudio.com/history
Desilu was the former RKO lot and associated backlots. It's currently part of Paramount's Melrose Ave. home. The Gower St. side is what was RKO/Desilu. The Star Trek and Mission: Impossible stages were backed up against the cemetery there.
Q: I'm curious as to how envolved Desi or Lucy were in the purchasing or shepherding of the show and pilot/s.
Short answer: Desi was gone by the time Roddenberry met Herb Solow and pitched the show, so Lucy was involved in the decision, not Desi.

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; December 24 2013 at 01:54 AM.
MauriceNavidad is online now   Reply With Quote