Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Stargate

Stargate Sir, we can't call it the Enterprise forum.

Old October 11 2012, 10:51 AM   #16
AJ86
Captain

Re: teacake does Stargate: punch it

teacock wrote: View Post
Well that's what it looked like!! It did! Right down to the architecture!

Of course WoW shamelessly ripped off or homaged the Minbari, they created a whole freaking race of Minbari and their "crystal cities". So these little bridges were built long ago.
The Mantid storyline does seem to pretty much be the Wraith one too. A insectoid species that awakens to kill every x amount of years woken early by the appearance of travellers from afar...
Old October 11 2012, 10:57 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Hathor: This was just hilarious! But first I must compliment Hathor on her nail polish. It's pretty hot, not quite Pulp Fiction levels but the subtle glitter is a nice touch. Matches her hair too.

So in this ep Daniel Jackson completely forgets he is married and sleeps with the Goa'uld queen. Immediately afterward she is seen in a steaming birthing pool (conveniently located in the locker room). Squeaky larval noises are coming from the water leading to can't-unsee-it visions of what is coming out of where

The little doctor, Janet Frasier is great in this, I hope we see more of her other than the background doctor role. She is pretty spunky, I'd love it if she was the gay character but I suppose that is too much to wish for.

I also hope we see Hathor again.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 11 2012, 11:04 AM   #18
lurok
Commodore

I remember loving Hathor. She had that cheeky Suzie Plakson quality. Just starting rewatching S1 so doubt will ever catch you up. Only thing struck me about pilot two-parter is I could swear my blu-ray version is different to DVD one I saw few years ago. The effects not only look better (duh) but actually slightly different, as does the whole show. Maybe it's just time/nostalgia, or maybe one of the SG experts knows if there are differences.
Old October 11 2012, 11:09 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

I'll be taking three days off soon as I won't have access to my dvd's though I'll be online. So if you marathon it you can catch up! And yes the actress was very good.. she has a great profile too, this slightly hooked Egyptian nose and smirky eyes.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 11 2012, 04:42 PM   #20
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

The little doctor, Janet Frasier is great in this, I hope we see more of her other than the background doctor role. She is pretty spunky, I'd love it if she was the gay character but I suppose that is too much to wish for.

I also hope we see Hathor again.
There is plenty of fodder throughout the show to encourage the Samantha Carter/Janet Frasier 'shippers.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 11 2012, 05:00 PM   #21
lurok
Commodore

"Libidinous"
Old October 11 2012, 05:31 PM   #22
The Wormhole
Admiral

She mentions having an ex-husband in Hathor. Though I suppose the fact that he's an ex might actually support the gay theory.
Old October 11 2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Claudia
Fleet Captain

@ Cold Lazarus: one of my favourite episodes in season 1. But I agree about showing Charlie to Sara. On the other hand, I thought the emotions of this episode rang very true - and I'd have loved to see Sara return at some point because it's not for a lack of love that they separated.

@ Fire and Water: I especially loved the scenes where the team dealt with Daniel's "death".

@ Hathor: Actually, I hate that episode. Daniel's basically raped in this episode, and no one addresses that.

In general: I keep coming back to SG-1 because the team is quite perfectly balanced. They just work as a team (although I by far prefer Jack and Daniel to Teal'c and Sam). There's lots of humour, but lots of drama and understatement as well. SG-A tried to copy that later, and had basically an O'Neill-ripoff with Sheppard... and a copy's almost never as good as the original.
Old October 11 2012, 09:51 PM   #24
teacake
Admiral

Claudia wrote: View Post

@ Hathor: Actually, I hate that episode. Daniel's basically raped in this episode, and no one addresses that.

No I'm not laughing at Daniel's rape, I'm laughing because last night I went to bed after posting about Hathor which I'd just watched and I thought.. now if that was the VOY forum there would be a 20 page thread about how Daniel was raped. Anyone who hangs out over there will know what I mean.

In general: I keep coming back to SG-1 because the team is quite perfectly balanced. They just work as a team (although I by far prefer Jack and Daniel to Teal'c and Sam). There's lots of humour, but lots of drama and understatement as well. SG-A tried to copy that later, and had basically an O'Neill-ripoff with Sheppard... and a copy's almost never as good as the original.
But SG-A has Rodney, the hottest man evah.

And yes it is very well balanced, humourous (nicely dry) just great chemistry. I am really happy knowing there are 10 seasons ahead of me!

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 11 2012, 10:09 PM   #25
Claudia
Fleet Captain

No I'm not laughing at Daniel's rape, I'm laughing because last night I went to bed after posting about Hathor which I'd just watched and I thought.. now if that was the VOY forum there would be a 20 page thread about how Daniel was raped. Anyone who hangs out over there will know what I mean.
*g* Good point. But actually, I meant that no one in the series addresses that, not Carter, not Fraiser, not Jack... and Daniel isn't traumatized etc.
Old October 11 2012, 10:32 PM   #26
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Not much reaction tyically from the fans in Farscape either, when Miss "Breast Sweat" comes along. Though, at least the show doesn't forget it.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old October 12 2012, 09:19 AM   #27
teacake
Admiral

Singularity: I was all ready, TWICE during this episode to declare it brave and wonderful and stepping outside the box. But they managed to take two excellent story options and shove them so far back in the box they had to give it a puppy in the end.

First time I honestly thought they were going to let that little girl blow up in the nuke safe bunker. Yes the SG top brass made that decision but I stupidly, hopefully thought it would actually happen. That this would be a horrible tragic story that made me sick to the stomach because it was so much more graphic and in your face than nameless distant Goa'uld deaths. And then Carter decided to stay with her so I knew of course she would not die.

BUT! There was still a chance for greatness. Carter was that close to being my all time greatest hero ever in this because she was going to sacrifice her own life so the terrified child wouldn't be left alone, sealed in with her countdown to exploding. I was in awe of Carter making this decision, it was such a visceral choice. It reminded me of the 9/11 story where a man stayed with his wheelchair bound friend till the end rather than save himself and leave his friend to die alone. And then, FUCK YOU STARGATE they revealed that Carter had made her decision because she suddenly realized that the kid woke up because she was not near the stargate and that she was not going to explode!!

CASSANDRA: Are we going to die?
CARTER: No, we are not going to die.

--

O'NEILL: How did you know, Captain.
CARTER: It occurred to me that she first slipped into the coma when we brought her close to the Stargate. As soon as we got her far enough away from the Stargate, she woke up, and I knew.

Damn it all to heck. And then they gave it a puppy.

btw this is a very cute dog, I'm wondering if it's a particular breed? Anyone know? Also check out the dog hair covering O'Neill's shirt

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 12 2012, 09:58 AM   #28
AJ86
Captain

Cthulurok wrote: View Post
I remember loving Hathor. She had that cheeky Suzie Plakson quality. Just starting rewatching S1 so doubt will ever catch you up. Only thing struck me about pilot two-parter is I could swear my blu-ray version is different to DVD one I saw few years ago. The effects not only look better (duh) but actually slightly different, as does the whole show. Maybe it's just time/nostalgia, or maybe one of the SG experts knows if there are differences.
You might have the "final cut" version. Brad Wright pulled a 'George Lucas' on it not so long ago.

Old October 12 2012, 10:17 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

Cor-ai: God I hate trial eps. And this one was trite and dull and predictable. It did have one funny exchange though.

HAMMOND: Colonel, the United States is not in the business of interfering in other people's affairs.

O'NEILL: Since when, sir?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old October 12 2012, 10:52 AM   #30
lurok
Commodore

In general: I keep coming back to SG-1 because the team is quite perfectly balanced.
And yes it is very well balanced, humourous (nicely dry) just great chemistry. I am really happy knowing there are 10 seasons ahead of me!
The balance/chemistry is the one thing that keeps me going through the duff episodes. I never got that with SG:A and only managed season 1 (I think) before I gave up. But if we get to a SG:A rewatch thread down the line, I might endure this time.