RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,606
Posts: 5,404,893
Members: 24,869
Currently online: 601
Newest member: Engelbert

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Gold Key Archives Vol. 2 Comic
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Cumberbatch In War Of Roses Miniseries
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

Trek 3 Filming Location Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Oct 1

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 11 2012, 12:28 PM   #391
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SNogueira wrote: View Post
What about new versions for the movies? Maybe ST-TMP (Director's Cut) and STII-TWOK (Director's Cut)? It could involve Burnett for VAM, but not necessarily involve CBS's overworked staff working on TNG...

Although I would love to see DS9 ASAP, and I guess CBS perceived the BDs will make some money and then they may want to run before the BD age ends, and they loose the opportunity to rip us off with it before streaming becomes the norm, I don't see them remastering so much stuff in so little time. Even the choice of Enterprise shows they want to release the stuff that is ready, to make a buck without spending as much as a full restoration from uncut negatives.

So, my 2 cents are on the movies... maybe we'll get Robert Wise's vision in HD, at last!

The movies are controlled by Paramount---not CBS, so if anything is done too the movies it would be Paramount calling the shots.
tomswift2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 12:47 PM   #392
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
SNogueira wrote: View Post
What about new versions for the movies? Maybe ST-TMP (Director's Cut) and STII-TWOK (Director's Cut)? It could involve Burnett for VAM, but not necessarily involve CBS's overworked staff working on TNG...

Although I would love to see DS9 ASAP, and I guess CBS perceived the BDs will make some money and then they may want to run before the BD age ends, and they loose the opportunity to rip us off with it before streaming becomes the norm, I don't see them remastering so much stuff in so little time. Even the choice of Enterprise shows they want to release the stuff that is ready, to make a buck without spending as much as a full restoration from uncut negatives.

So, my 2 cents are on the movies... maybe we'll get Robert Wise's vision in HD, at last!

The movies are controlled by Paramount---not CBS, so if anything is done too the movies it would be Paramount calling the shots.


It's not too outlandish. They obviously shared footage for the TNG Blu Rays. I'm not saying this is the case, but a profit sharing agreement where say CBS-D does all the work and Paramount just sits back and twiddles its thumbs and say gets 30% of the profit from the remastered movie sales for doing nothing could conceivably work on paper.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 01:52 PM   #393
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

CBS-D really need to approach Paramount to remake the movies. Surely Paramount would not turn them down when they smell $$$.

The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort. Many of the movies have been put through a digital filter that makes them look awful. All the grain (and therefore the detail) has been scrubbed and the crew look like waxworks.

Now what Paramount should do is go back to the original uncut negative and the original VFX elements and remake the movies the same way CBS have remade TNG. Imagine scenes like the Enterprise/Shuttlepod scene from TMP when recomposited using 2012 tech. It would look incredible. Get it done Paramount.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:19 PM   #394
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Flake wrote: View Post
CBS-D really need to approach Paramount to remake the movies. Surely Paramount would not turn them down when they smell $$$.

The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort. Many of the movies have been put through a digital filter that makes them look awful. All the grain (and therefore the detail) has been scrubbed and the crew look like waxworks.

Now what Paramount should do is go back to the original uncut negative and the original VFX elements and remake the movies the same way CBS have remade TNG. Imagine scenes like the Enterprise/Shuttlepod scene from TMP when recomposited using 2012 tech. It would look incredible. Get it done Paramount.

I prefer less grain, call me crazy.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:34 PM   #395
Jefferies
Captain
 
Jefferies's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
CBS-D really need to approach Paramount to remake the movies. Surely Paramount would not turn them down when they smell $$$.

The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort. Many of the movies have been put through a digital filter that makes them look awful. All the grain (and therefore the detail) has been scrubbed and the crew look like waxworks.

Now what Paramount should do is go back to the original uncut negative and the original VFX elements and remake the movies the same way CBS have remade TNG. Imagine scenes like the Enterprise/Shuttlepod scene from TMP when recomposited using 2012 tech. It would look incredible. Get it done Paramount.

I prefer less grain, call me crazy.

RAMA
You can always filter it out by yourself if you are desprate to do so. However, the rest of us can't restore detail that has already been erased. The TOS movie blu rays are a bit of an atrocity, especially when compared to what CBS is doing with the remastering.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:39 PM   #396
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Jefferies wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post
CBS-D really need to approach Paramount to remake the movies. Surely Paramount would not turn them down when they smell $$$.

The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort. Many of the movies have been put through a digital filter that makes them look awful. All the grain (and therefore the detail) has been scrubbed and the crew look like waxworks.

Now what Paramount should do is go back to the original uncut negative and the original VFX elements and remake the movies the same way CBS have remade TNG. Imagine scenes like the Enterprise/Shuttlepod scene from TMP when recomposited using 2012 tech. It would look incredible. Get it done Paramount.

I prefer less grain, call me crazy.

RAMA
You can always filter it out by yourself if you are desprate to do so. However, the rest of us can't restore detail that has already been erased. The TOS movie blu rays are a bit of an atrocity, especially when compared to what CBS is doing with the remastering.

Read some reviews online over the last year, and generally speaking, the blurays get quite a bit of praise, only a very small percentage dislike the noise reduction. Most agree the blurays are the best presentation of the movies ever.

Having said that, I don't own a single one of the old movies on bluray. I will have to check it out myself.

RAMA
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 03:31 PM   #397
Oso Blanco
Commodore
 
Oso Blanco's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Flake wrote: View Post
The bluray of the movies that Paramount did was a very very poor effort.
I think they are fine the way they are, except for the colour change in TWOK. But the best thing about them is that they do not contain any reworked FX ... I really do hope that the extended cuts (especially TMP SLV) are going to make it to BD soon!
__________________
Time is the fire in which we burn
Oso Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:34 PM   #398
SNogueira
Cadet
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
The movies are controlled by Paramount---not CBS, so if anything is done too the movies it would be Paramount calling the shots.
Yes, but as I understand it, Burnett is not an employee from CBS. He was hired to produce VAM for TNG-R. Paramount could have a look at his brilliant work and ask him: "Hey, we're redoing the movies. Would you like a piece of the action?"

I didn't want to imply CBS-D was working on this. Burnett surely is, as his tweets suggest.
SNogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 06:10 PM   #399
Flake
Commodore
 
Location: Manchester, UK
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

RAMA wrote: View Post
Jefferies wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post


I prefer less grain, call me crazy.

RAMA
You can always filter it out by yourself if you are desprate to do so. However, the rest of us can't restore detail that has already been erased. The TOS movie blu rays are a bit of an atrocity, especially when compared to what CBS is doing with the remastering.

Read some reviews online over the last year, and generally speaking, the blurays get quite a bit of praise, only a very small percentage dislike the noise reduction. Most agree the blurays are the best presentation of the movies ever.

Having said that, I don't own a single one of the old movies on bluray. I will have to check it out myself.

RAMA
No wayyyy

I promise not to post anymore about the movies after this as I am derailing the thread, but perhaps it is relevant to TNG because thankfully they left the grain alone The movie blurays are utter pants. The detail is in the grain! Removing and smoothing the grain away reduces the detail and ruins the picture quality.

This is what happens when you remove the grain Spock OMG!

Now that is the most extreme example in the entire set but it shows how much Paramount ruined the picture so they could make the set as cheaply as they possibly could. Meanwhile a few miles away CBS invest tens of millions of dollars putting an entire tv show through post production, they are totally showing Paramount up. Thank god CBS got involved with Trek because if it was still down to Paramount we would be getting upscaled TNG HD blu-rays right now.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 06:35 PM   #400
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I have to agree, when I see fine consistent grain..it makes me happy.

I think most of the folks that dog on the movie releases on BD have really big screens. On a 50 inch plasma they all look good.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 07:25 PM   #401
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Yup, if Paramount were to take the original movies, rescan and recomposite the original effects with modern tech, I would buy those.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 08:42 PM   #402
Scotty
Rear Admiral
 
Scotty's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands, Les Pays Bas, Holland
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Flake wrote: View Post

This is what happens when you remove the grain Spock OMG!

Now that is the most extreme example in the entire set but it shows how much Paramount ruined the picture so they could make the set as cheaply as they possibly could. Meanwhile a few miles away CBS invest tens of millions of dollars putting an entire tv show through post production, they are totally showing Paramount up. Thank god CBS got involved with Trek because if it was still down to Paramount we would be getting upscaled TNG HD blu-rays right now.
No way in hell is that a real screengrab from the Blu Rays. That is a photoshopped picture to illustrate what happens when you use excessive digital noise reduction. That is not how that scene looks on the Blu Ray.

The BD quality of the movies was fair, but in no way was it a really bad effort.

EDIT: I was so shocked by that picture and determined to prove you wrong that I looked up some screencaps from Trekcore and you are right. It really is from the movies and I am shocked I hadn't noticed it at the time. That looks abysmal.
__________________
"No bla bla bla!" - Captain James T. Kirk
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 08:55 PM   #403
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Scotty wrote: View Post
Flake wrote: View Post

This is what happens when you remove the grain Spock OMG!

Now that is the most extreme example in the entire set but it shows how much Paramount ruined the picture so they could make the set as cheaply as they possibly could. Meanwhile a few miles away CBS invest tens of millions of dollars putting an entire tv show through post production, they are totally showing Paramount up. Thank god CBS got involved with Trek because if it was still down to Paramount we would be getting upscaled TNG HD blu-rays right now.
No way in hell is that a real screengrab from the Blu Rays. That is a photoshopped picture to illustrate what happens when you use excessive digital noise reduction. That is not how that scene looks on the Blu Ray.

The BD quality of the movies was fair, but in no way was it a really bad effort.
Believe it or not, that is what it looks like. If you doubt it, check out TreKCore's screencaps here: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/t...um=496&page=13

It is, without a doubt, some of the worst DNR ever used on a Blu-ray. The worst looking movies are IV, VI and IX. The others have less DNR, and the only film to get a new 4K scan without DNR was II. It was completely unnecessary to DNR those films like that... you can see clips from the films on the bonus disc before they destroyed all the fine detail (i.e. grain).
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 09:27 PM   #404
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Hopefully Paramount gets their act together and does a proper remastering of all ten films for a better HD release in the future.

(Although TWOK looks great for the most part, it has a few color timing issues which have made Regula look blue in most -- but not all -- shots. I'd be fine with the change if it were consistent, but it isn't.).
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 09:47 PM   #405
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I really hope Darren Doctorman and his crew will finally get the chance to do a bluray release of the Directors Edition of TMP.

Would love, love, LOVE to see all of the original film and FX get the same treatment CBS is giving to TNG.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.