Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2012, 05:54 PM   #16
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Firefly/Serenity

Like the series, thought the movie was rubbish. I revisit an episode from time-to-time but the ride is over, I'm not really interested in new material.
Old October 10 2012, 06:15 PM   #17
SpookyCat
Captain

teacock wrote: View Post
If Firefly could get cancelled nothing is safe.

Sadly, that's the lesson I learned.
Isn't that the truth!

I too, own the box set and the movie. Tonight just may need some Serenity, hmmmm.
Old October 10 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I didn't see Firefly when it came out. A few years ago I actually caught Serenity on TV (the Sci-Fi channel, I think). I liked it, but I didn't realise it was connected to a TV show at first. I evenbtually got the DVD of the show from the public library, and I loved it immediately. The show and the movie are just great, its easily one of my top 3 sci fi franchises, I really wish it had gotten more than 13 episodes and 1 movie.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:33 AM   #19
KalEl
Lieutenant Commander

Kegg wrote: View Post
KalEl wrote: View Post
One more thing I want to add is I think the reason this show didn't last is because of reasons I mentioned before plus the unbelievably brain dead execs at Fox who have cancelled so many great shows numerous times and yet allow The Cleveland Show to still exist is probably this biggest factor of why this show wasn't even allowed a second season just to see if it had legs.
Pretty sure Fox doesn't have the same executives anymore, and also Cleveland Show has got to be substantially cheaper to make.

But yeah Firefly is a good series, and while I did catch its premiere, I didn't stick with it back when it was on its first run (frankly didn't care for it). Revised my opinion since then, it's definitely one of tbe best space opera shows of the past couple of decades, however abrupt its lifespan.
I don't think it really matters who's at Fox, I just think, historically, they make a lot of bad choices especially in the past 10 years. I'm sure animation and reality shows are cheaper, but the quality is horrible. It not just Fox, but they have probably the worst record for canceling good shows. TV in general has gone extremely down hill and people see it and talk about it every day, hell, they made a South Park episode last week discussing this problem, but like all other problems in America, we just ignore it and hope eventually it will resolve itself. The current trend tells me that we are going to see it get worse before it gets better and shows like Firefly or BSG or anything worth a dam will stand less and less of a chance. Just my opinion.
KalEl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:16 AM   #20
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

This will probably sound to some like A) the ramblings of a Joss Whedon apologist or B) crazy conspiracy talk, but, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one reason Firefly didn't succeed, and it isn't the timeslot, the ratings, or even the decision to air the original pilot episode last. The reason Firefly didn't last is greed. The people in charge of FOX at the time were so desperate for a Joss Whedon show that they commissioned on a project that they really didn't 'get', and then used the ratings as an excuse to pull the plug on said project when it didn't immediately succeed the way they wanted it to.
Old October 11 2012, 05:20 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Loved the series, loved the movie.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 07:21 AM   #22
Gaith
Rear Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
This will probably sound to some like A) the ramblings of a Joss Whedon apologist or B) crazy conspiracy talk, but, as far as I'm concerned, there is only one reason Firefly didn't succeed, and it isn't the timeslot, the ratings, or even the decision to air the original pilot episode last. The reason Firefly didn't last is greed. The people in charge of FOX at the time were so desperate for a Joss Whedon show that they commissioned on a project that they really didn't 'get', and then used the ratings as an excuse to pull the plug on said project when it didn't immediately succeed the way they wanted it to.
Again, I gotta ask: what makes you think the viewing public ever could have been large enough to sustain the show?

I mean, I would have loved to see the other four seasons of Carnivale, but I freely acknowledge that it was a highly obscure show that required very high budgets, and I certainly don't keep railing against the execs that canned it nearly a decade later.

Lots of good TV series are cut off before their time, and everyone has shows and movies they wish had gained wider audiences. But the unceasing howling of many Firefly fans makes me wonder if they aren't subconsciously compensating for something - say, a nagging feeling that, despite its tremendous stylistic appeal to some, the show really wasn't that good - the writing was glib, the characters thin, and the larger storytelling context practically nonexistent.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 08:02 AM   #23
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

^ The execs at FOX greenlit Firefly because they wanted another Joss Whedon show. They didn't understand the premise of the series when Joss pitched it to them, but greenlit it anyway. They were expecting his name alone to get them ratings, and when that didn't happen, they used the ratings as an excuse to get rid of their 'greed-fueled misstep'.

There's no guarantee that the series would've succeeded and been longer-lasting if it had aired on a network other than FOX, but the execs who were there at the time had no business greenlighting the series in the first place.
Old October 11 2012, 09:42 AM   #24
Kegg
Rear Admiral

KalEl wrote: View Post
It not just Fox, but they have probably the worst record for canceling good shows.
The converse of this statement is that Fox has an good record for greenlighting good shows. I can't think of any programs from the American CW or CBS offhand that I'd be interested in watching.

TV in general has gone extremely down hill
Some TV series that are currently running that I watch when I can:
Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, Homeland, Boardwalk Empire.

There's an argument that the since the last decade we've entered a golden age of television (with since concluded shows like the Sopranos and the Wire being chief among these). I thnk it's a pretty tenable argument.
Old October 11 2012, 09:48 AM   #25
teacock
Admiral

A golden age of television but not a golden age of science fiction. Not that there hasn't been some greats, BSG.. but it's sparse and the axe constantly falls.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 10:58 AM   #26
DWF
Vice Admiral

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
^ The execs at FOX greenlit Firefly because they wanted another Joss Whedon show. They didn't understand the premise of the series when Joss pitched it to them, but greenlit it anyway. They were expecting his name alone to get them ratings, and when that didn't happen, they used the ratings as an excuse to get rid of their 'greed-fueled misstep'.

There's no guarantee that the series would've succeeded and been longer-lasting if it had aired on a network other than FOX, but the execs who were there at the time had no business greenlighting the series in the first place.
Joss was under contract to produce new series for Fox and all Fox did was ot buy one of his series. He was given plenty of money to make the series and it got cancelled because it failed to produce the ratings needed to survive. IT should be noted that John Doe the show on right after Firefly had double Firefly's ratings and was also cancelled.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 03:21 PM   #27
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
And lord knows there were some very upset John Doe fans at the time. I have no idea if there are still John Doe fans, though.

A golden age of television but not a golden age of science fiction.
True enough. I'd agree that the 1990s were a much better decade for sci-fi TV, and that one of the best sci-fi shows of the last decade is one that only lasted fourteen episodes says something about the health of the genre.

Although Farscape had most of its seasons in the 2000s, so there is that.
Old October 11 2012, 04:50 PM   #28
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
^
And lord knows there were some very upset John Doe fans at the time. I have no idea if there are still John Doe fans, though.

A golden age of television but not a golden age of science fiction.
True enough. I'd agree that the 1990s were a much better decade for sci-fi TV, and that one of the best sci-fi shows of the last decade is one that only lasted fourteen episodes says something about the health of the genre.

Although Farscape had most of its seasons in the 2000s, so there is that.
I've recently finished Andromeda S1, and I think it's pretty damned good overall (Yes, I realize depending upon who you talk to, it falls apart anywhere from S1 - S4, just like popular opinion seems to be for Earth:Final COnflict, but, I'll deal with that when I get there). But, S1, and the few S2 episodes I've seen are pretty good.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 06:56 PM   #29
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I don't know what to say about tV in general, really. The only shows that still produce new episodes that I watch on a regular basis are: Pawn Stars, Family Guy, South Park, Big bang theory, Young Justice and Arrow (it just started, and my interest may not last, but I'm liking it so far). Two other shows I really liked ended recently (Eureka and House), and Smallville ended last year (although I was really bad about following it the last 2 seasons, I pretty much just watched them on dVD). I just don't see anything else really interesting. Most of the stuff I watch besides what I listed is old stuff, or stuff I like but don't follow every week (like warehouse 13 and resturant Impossible). I'm a nerd, so my tastes are different than the average viewer (Sci Fi and superhero shows/cartoons are some of my favorite stuff), and to me most new TV just isn't interesting. The ninties/early 2000's were great, now there isn't a lot for me to watch. I really don't want to see a show about Hal from Malcom in the Middle as a drug dealer, or a show about 1960's advertising agents.

There are some good shows, but overall TV today is definately inferior to what it was years ago. I sound like some old guy complaining about the kids today (I'm 21).
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 07:31 PM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
There are some good shows, but overall TV today is definately inferior to what it was years ago. I sound like some old guy complaining about the kids today (I'm 21).
No, it's less to your tastes. Yes, there is a difference.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote