RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,885
Posts: 5,329,720
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 508
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 11 2012, 01:44 AM   #436
Ghost Bones
Captain
 
Ghost Bones's Avatar
 
Location: Ghost Blighty
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Judge Death wrote: View Post
Unfortunately Who as a show falls apart if you think about it too much, I used to think it should have rules and canon, but now I understand what Paul Cornell said all those years ago, it's just impossible.
When did he say that?

There is a point to me asking.
__________________
Try not to talk about me, it's only giving me what I want after all, and I do more than enough laughing already.
Ghost Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 01:50 AM   #437
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

DWF wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

I totally agree with that point of they can't have a set of hard and fast rules or the show just doesn't work. Like I don't give a shit that the chronovores or whatever they were called don't show up every time there's a paradox. I don't care that sometimes a paradox will rip open the universe and need a TARDIS to sustain one without that happening and other times they just have 10 paradoxes in a row to make a fun episode. But what bothers me is they throw about "This is a fixed point." "We know this so it has become fixed in our timelines" so much, so often, even within the same episode that they then ignore it in.

The Doctor perceives time in such a way as he can tell, fair enough, but how come he can then ignore and trick his way round it to save his own life, but not to work round this? How come knowing Reinette died without seeing him means he can't go back again, but Amy seeing herself and Rory on that hill top doesn't have to happen? They saw it for themselves? It just leave it all ringing hollow and leaves me with nothing really holding my interest. In much the same way the shifts in Voyager's character's personalities and everything else left Voyager being so unsatisfying.

You're assuming that Amy & Rory (or Amy alone) didn't go back to that hill during a time they weren't with the Doctor (or with him since it was in 2020, to fulfill the destiny) off screen.

NOTE: Had this page open, didn't see post above mine which basically says what I say.
Maybe the gaps in traveling for A&R were purposely put there by Moffat to explain this. He's shrewder than we think
There's nothing in the ep. to suggest that the graveyard scene was in the year 2020.
No one is saying it was. We know the graveyard scenes, just like the rest of the modern New York scenes were in 2012. We're just stating that Amy and Rory themselves were from after 2020.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 01:56 AM   #438
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Photoman15 wrote: View Post


You're assuming that Amy & Rory (or Amy alone) didn't go back to that hill during a time they weren't with the Doctor (or with him since it was in 2020, to fulfill the destiny) off screen.

NOTE: Had this page open, didn't see post above mine which basically says what I say.
Maybe the gaps in traveling for A&R were purposely put there by Moffat to explain this. He's shrewder than we think
There's nothing in the ep. to suggest that the graveyard scene was in the year 2020.
No one is saying it was. We know the graveyard scenes, just like the rest of the modern New York scenes were in 2012. We're just stating that Amy and Rory themselves were from after 2020.
And there's nothing in the ep. to suggest that.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:08 AM   #439
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

DWF wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post

There's nothing in the ep. to suggest that the graveyard scene was in the year 2020.
No one is saying it was. We know the graveyard scenes, just like the rest of the modern New York scenes were in 2012. We're just stating that Amy and Rory themselves were from after 2020.
And there's nothing in the ep. to suggest that.
Logically speaking, they kind of have to be. There's the aforementioned fact that in 2020 they go to Wales to visit wave at their younger selves as they embark on their adventure with the Silurians as seen in The Hungry Earth.

But even if we ignore that with some sort of hand wave, the Doctor dropped them off and then hid, they were gangers or Tessalectas or whatever, we still have Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Rory tells his father he's 31, and sine Brian doesn't say anything like "you're only 23" we can assume that Rory really was born 31 years prior to that episode. Since we know from The Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below that Amy was 21 as of 2010 making her born in 1989 and we know from Let's Kill Hitler that Rory is the same age as her, that means Dinosaurs on a Spaceship hs to be set in 2020. Add onto that that The Power of Three spans a full year and Amy and Rory as seen in The Angels Take Manhattan can be from no earlier than 2021. It's all canon.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 03:03 AM   #440
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post

No one is saying it was. We know the graveyard scenes, just like the rest of the modern New York scenes were in 2012. We're just stating that Amy and Rory themselves were from after 2020.
And there's nothing in the ep. to suggest that.
Logically speaking, they kind of have to be. There's the aforementioned fact that in 2020 they go to Wales to visit wave at their younger selves as they embark on their adventure with the Silurians as seen in The Hungry Earth.

But even if we ignore that with some sort of hand wave, the Doctor dropped them off and then hid, they were gangers or Tessalectas or whatever, we still have Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Rory tells his father he's 31, and sine Brian doesn't say anything like "you're only 23" we can assume that Rory really was born 31 years prior to that episode. Since we know from The Eleventh Hour and The Beast Below that Amy was 21 as of 2010 making her born in 1989 and we know from Let's Kill Hitler that Rory is the same age as her, that means Dinosaurs on a Spaceship hs to be set in 2020. Add onto that that The Power of Three spans a full year and Amy and Rory as seen in The Angels Take Manhattan can be from no earlier than 2021. It's all canon.
There's nbo such thing as canon on Doctor Who and in The Hungry Earth it was changed to only Amy standing on the hill since Rory was erased from time. And there's still no frame for the graveyard scenes. Of course since Chibnall wrote the Silurian two parter it's best to ignore it.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 04:39 AM   #441
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Alidar Warlock wrote: View Post
Mr Awe wrote: View Post
Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post

Unless you are wrong, in which case New York has blown up. That's the point you're missing. You could be right, however, the Doctor, who is usually pretty good about figuring these things out, thinks you are wrong.
The Doctor could've blown up the universe by saving himself using that logic!
Which brings me back to my other point that the Doctor has a certain sense of what a fixed point is. With his own death, he didn't quite realize it at first, but he figured it out (and he figured out that it did not merely involve using the tesselect, but that it required to fake his own death and maintain a lower profile). Here, he's figured out that the fixed point involves Rory and Amy growing old and dying.

Actually, it might be more helpful to think of this as crossing your own time stream rather than changing a fixed point.

My point is more that the authors can easily decide to retrieve Amy and Rory if they want to. There's a very simple out.
If the argument is simply that the writers can cop out, I'm not disagreeing with you. If the argument is that the more logical result of the episode is that this isn't permanent, that's where the disagreement arises. Certainly, if the writers want to bring them back, they are welcome to use any reason they choose (including this one).
Where we differ is that I wouldn't consider it a cop out. It seems entirely consistent with what happened before. Although, having said that, I did think *that* was a cop out!

Mr Awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 09:18 AM   #442
Starkers
Admiral
 
Starkers's Avatar
 
Location: Behind enemy lines
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Ghost Bones wrote: View Post
Judge Death wrote: View Post
Unfortunately Who as a show falls apart if you think about it too much, I used to think it should have rules and canon, but now I understand what Paul Cornell said all those years ago, it's just impossible.
When did he say that?

There is a point to me asking.
Here you go

2007...has he contradicted himself since then?

Couple of quotes from it.

Not giving a toss about how it all fits together is one of Doctor Who’s oldest, proudest traditions, a strength of the series. (And a No Prize to the person who points out the first ever continuity error in the original series.) It’s allowed infinite change, and never left the show crunched into a corner after all the dramatic options had already been done. Terrible continuity equals infinitely flexible format. It’s indefinability that results in that old ‘indefinable magic’. Much in the same way that there’s no one definition of what a ‘Doctor Who companion’ is that includes all of them, and so a new one can be whatever works.
So this is what those I yelled at above might get some comfort from. Those who say that because the New Adventures are canonical, therefore the TV series shouldn’t contradict them (and those people also are often inclined to abuse the opposition in search of false authority) are ignoring the fact that the TV series now has a licence to contradict itself, and has already used it, big time. (In the original series, it just did that without having any such device. Three different versions of the destruction of Atlantis, two of them irreconcilable. Perhaps simple time travel, rather than a Time War, is all it takes to make history, canonicity and continuity meaningless.)
Highlights mine.

Obviously at the end of the day this is just one guy's opinion, same as each of us have an opinion, and like I say I did rail a little against this the first time I read it many years ago, but its an interesting article to insert into the debate.
__________________
Werewolves on the Moon Now with Oculus review

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:28 PM   #443
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

DWF wrote: View Post
There's nbo such thing as canon on Doctor Who and in The Hungry Earth it was changed to only Amy standing on the hill since Rory was erased from time.
And since Rory's exisntence was restored, presumably he was standing with Amy on the hill again.

And there's still no frame for the graveyard scenes.
The modern day New York scenes are set in 2012. This is fact, stated in dialogue a couple of times. Rory's grave was seen when the Doctor and Amy left in the TARDIS to begin their attempt to get to 1938. At the end, after Amy and Rory are returned to the graveyard after their jump off the roof, there's a line like "we're back where we started" suggesting this is 2012. More concrete proof, after Amy and Rory are transported by the Angel the Doctor runs to Central Park to get the page he ripped out of the book, meaning that it must still be 2012.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 10:28 PM   #444
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
There's nbo such thing as canon on Doctor Who and in The Hungry Earth it was changed to only Amy standing on the hill since Rory was erased from time.
And since Rory's exisntence was restored, presumably he was standing with Amy on the hill again.

And there's still no frame for the graveyard scenes.
The modern day New York scenes are set in 2012. This is fact, stated in dialogue a couple of times. Rory's grave was seen when the Doctor and Amy left in the TARDIS to begin their attempt to get to 1938. At the end, after Amy and Rory are returned to the graveyard after their jump off the roof, there's a line like "we're back where we started" suggesting this is 2012. More concrete proof, after Amy and Rory are transported by the Angel the Doctor runs to Central Park to get the page he ripped out of the book, meaning that it must still be 2012.
Fantastic, 2012 I can understand but I don't know the idea that it was set in 2021 came from. And since Rory and Amy died before 2012 their can't be a version of them from 2020 standiing on a hill in 2010.

ETA: I suppose the argument could be made that the Doctor took Amy and Rory from 2010 and put them on the hll to be able to wave to themselves, although that really makes no sense at least to me. But it also makes no sense for the Doctor to take the 2020 versions of Amy and Rory to Central Park in 2012. I guess it's just better not to think about it too much.

OTOH, I don't see a reason why River Song can't be his official companion now, since they are married.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books

Last edited by DWF; October 11 2012 at 10:40 PM.
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 01:04 AM   #445
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

The reason to set it in 2012 is that it was filmed in 2012 (and, due to ongoing construction, would obviously not be 2020). Maybe they were going to see a show or something after that took place in 2012.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 01:47 AM   #446
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral
 
Samurai8472's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Brian is not forgotten!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...-and-the-Ponds





__________________
"Inception" is a layer cake.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 03:04 AM   #447
The Wormhole
Admiral
 
The Wormhole's Avatar
 
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

DWF wrote: View Post
Fantastic, 2012 I can understand but I don't know the idea that it was set in 2021 came from. And since Rory and Amy died before 2012 their can't be a version of them from 2020 standiing on a hill in 2010.

ETA: I suppose the argument could be made that the Doctor took Amy and Rory from 2010 and put them on the hll to be able to wave to themselves, although that really makes no sense at least to me. But it also makes no sense for the Doctor to take the 2020 versions of Amy and Rory to Central Park in 2012. I guess it's just better not to think about it too much.
No one is saying it was set in 2021, just that Amy and Rory were from 2021 and the Doctor took them to 2012, which like you say makes no sense.

And really the whole dating thing makes no sense at all anymore. 2021 is conjecture based on admittedly flimsy evidence, but if you take into account everyhting that has been established in seasons 5 and 6, Amy and Rory can be from no earlier than 2016 in order to accomodate all the time jumping that has been going on.

Really, Doctor Who has never been too consistent with dating modern day stories. The only time any real effort was put into doing so was during the RTD era, and they still screwed things up. Still, I think S7 may be as sloppy as UNIT Dating.
__________________
"Internet message boards aren't as funny today as they were ten years ago. I've stopped reading new posts." -The Simpsons 20th anniversary special.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 10:38 PM   #448
Pindar
Rear Admiral
 
Pindar's Avatar
 
Location: 76 Totters Lane
View Pindar's Twitter Profile
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
That was pretty good, too bad it was never filmed. It would have been a better wrap up to the episode.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 10:43 PM   #449
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Here's the direct link to the video:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00zn6ff

Had they included this in the episode, the whole thing might not have sucked balls so hard as it otherwise did.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 11:40 PM   #450
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

I don't see why it's so weird that the Doctor would take 2021 Amy and Rory to 2012. In "Human Nature" he takes Martha (from 2008) to 2007! Ooh, exotic. At least Rory and Amy have had time to get nostalgic.
__________________
"All of time and space. Everywhere and anywhere, every star that ever was. Where do you want to start?"
Exploring the Universe
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.