MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2012, 04:37 PM   #31
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?

Christopher wrote: View Post
I know perfectly well that Spider-Man's movie rights aren't going to be back with Marvel for a long time. I'm not saying I think there's any actual prospect of Spidey and Daredevil sharing a movie universe, I'm just saying I wish it were possible.
I have heard mutterings that all parties would certainly consider licensing Spidey back to appear in the Marvel universe - whether as a cameo or guest star I couldn't say...
Old October 10 2012, 04:44 PM   #32
Christopher
Writer

I saw a comment from Lauren Shuler Donner today that she'd be glad to work out an Avengers/X-Men screen crossover, but even aside from the legal/financial difficulties, I'm not sure how it would work, since the X-franchise these days seems to be set squarely in the past, and it's hard to see how to move forward from the present of The Last Stand.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 05:03 PM   #33
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I mean he works out of a place called "Hell's Kitchen" I would THINK that it'd be pretty nasty down there.
That's the thing, though... when the comics began in the '60s, Hell's Kitchen was a neighborhood worthy of the name, but these days it's been pretty thoroughly cleaned up and gentrified, so its portrayal in Daredevil comics is something of an atavism. These days it's often just called Clinton or Midtown West.
I think that's why Joe Carnahan pitched his take on DD as a 70s-set blaxploitation style movie. To set it when Hell's Kitchen was, well, hellish!

I've suggested that Marvel should hire him and do a series of low-mid budget movies 70s-set for him, Iron Fist, The Falcon and Luke Cage. You could even have a younger Nick Fury.

Of course, as Falcon looks set to fly in the modern-day Captain America: The Winter Soldier, it already looks like my wishlist is merely a pipe-dream.
Old October 10 2012, 05:10 PM   #34
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
I mean he works out of a place called "Hell's Kitchen" I would THINK that it'd be pretty nasty down there.
That's the thing, though... when the comics began in the '60s, Hell's Kitchen was a neighborhood worthy of the name, but these days it's been pretty thoroughly cleaned up and gentrified, so its portrayal in Daredevil comics is something of an atavism. These days it's often just called Clinton or Midtown West.
I think that's why Joe Carnahan pitched his take on DD as a 70s-set blaxploitation style movie. To set it when Hell's Kitchen was, well, hellish!.
Yeah, when I wrote the novelization of the Ben Affleck movie, I spent an afternoon walking around "Hell's Kitchen," taking photos for research purposes, but I quickly realized that that Clinton in 2002 bore little resemblance to the place Frank Miller was writing back in the '80s, so I just copied the comics instead.
Old October 10 2012, 05:34 PM   #35
Mike Farley
Commodore

Matt Murdock--lawyer to the (super)stars--also works well as a Nick Fury-esque character that can appear across multiple movies even without taking his heroic alter-ego into account.
Mike Farley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 06:30 PM   #36
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man aren't "sellers" per se either and yet.....

Sure both have had their moments but overall the length of a characters ongoing series or ability to maintain one isn't a factor for what movie Marvel Studios may choose to do.
I'll believe those two when they actually hit the theaters, not before. Just like I'll believe the rumors about "Cloak & Dagger" on the small screen when it premieres, not before. And I'll be shocked if any of them actually perform well ratings/BO-wise.
Then you won't have long to wait. Both of those are no longer just ideas being kicked around. By 2014 you'll be able to fully believe then. They are no longer in the rumored category like Cloak&Dagger, Runaways, Dr.Strange or Iron Fist.

I saw a comment from Lauren Shuler Donner today that she'd be glad to work out an Avengers/X-Men screen crossover, but even aside from the legal/financial difficulties, I'm not sure how it would work, since the X-franchise these days seems to be set squarely in the past, and it's hard to see how to move forward from the present of The Last Stand.
Perhaps First Class 2 aka Days of Futures Past is going to allow a way for things to move forward after the events of Last Stand. Perhaps.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 07:39 PM   #37
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well it would be nice if the other "universes" could link up somehow. I mean right now Fox with the X-Men related properties has sorta soft rebooted. Spider-Man has completely rebooted. I know there was even a rumor that the Oscorp tower would make a "cameo" in Avengers and vice versa with Stark Tower.

I mean Marvel is still the company that created the characters and the universe. Sure Fox and Sony have the rights to the movies made with them, but they didn't create the characters and part of the beauty of Marvel is how it's more than simply a universe where like "Character A" is the main hero and "Character B" is the main hero in his universe and such. Spider-Man runs into the X-Men, Tony Stark knows Emma Frost. Matt Murdock represents other heroes in their civilian IDs.

It wouldn't be the first time other studios have collaborated on a property, so why not? I do love the idea of Matt Murdock showing up in Phase 2 as a lawyer who just happens to have a radar sense. Maybe even have some rumors of Daredevil come up in like a newspaper or news segment or something.
Old October 10 2012, 08:01 PM   #38
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I know there was even a rumor that the Oscorp tower would make a "cameo" in Avengers and vice versa with Stark Tower.
It wasn't just a rumor; it would've happened if time had permitted.

I was paired with Avi Arad and [Amazing Spider-Man producer] Matthew Tolmach for my 1-on-1 [...]

Here’s the story – last week, The Amazing Spider-Man's production designer J Michael Riva passed away after suffering a stroke at the age of 63. Not only did he design the Oscorp Tower for ASM, but he has a staggering resume of awesomeness including The Goonies, The Color Purple, A Few Good Men, Congo, Evolution, and the upcoming Django Unchained.

Oh – And the Iron Man movies.

That design overlap, and the stunning look of the Oscorp Tower (seriously stunning) was enough for Marvel Studios and Sony to have the discussion about inserting Oscorp into The Avengers skyline. The Unified Marvel Manhattan Skyline almost existed.

By the time the Oscorp building was fully designed, The Avengers digital Manhattan was already basically rendered and there was some up-conversion that needed to go down, so – for timing – it was scrapped.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 08:57 PM   #39
Gaith
Rear Admiral

How's this for an idea: have a superhero who isn't in New York, or some generic fictional city that often stands in for the same. Bravo for Iron Man 1-2 basing Tony in LA, even if the latter movie does end up in NYC, but between the Avengers, Spidey, a rebooted FF and more, why not let another city have a shot, especially with a minor character?

Which is really all just a prelude to say: Daredevil in San Francisco. Think about it.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 09:10 PM   #40
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I haven't been to San Fran, does it have lots of tall downtown structures?
I could see Chicago as a replacement city for DD.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 09:26 PM   #41
Gaith
Rear Admiral

It does; one nice thing about SF is that it's got a pretty sizable downtown, with some pretty high skyscrapers (much higher, say, than the pint-sized ones of Boston, or the non-existent ones of DC), but also has lots of other, very varied neighborhoods. Also, you've got the legitimately still-gritty and grungy Oakland just across the Bay. Fincher got some great mileage out of our Financial District in The Game, for instance.

Sure, Chicago could probably also work, but while it's got some great downtown areas, as seen in Transformers DOTM/TDK, I haven't really gotten the sense that its non-downtown neighborhoods are all that special or distinctive.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 09:30 PM   #42
FreezeC77
Commodore

If the ABC SHIELD series is a hit then I think the best way that the other studios who own Marvel rights could then 'link up' would be to use the series as 'promotion' for their movies. Somet type of storyline or appearance from main/minor/villain characters in the show right around the time the movie is coming out.
FreezeC77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 10:01 PM   #43
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Simple.. either completely ignore the abomination that was Last Stand or just go past it and take the very few things with you that were ok (Hank McCoy for example).

FreezeC77 wrote: View Post
If the ABC SHIELD series is a hit then I think the best way that the other studios who own Marvel rights could then 'link up' would be to use the series as 'promotion' for their movies. Somet type of storyline or appearance from main/minor/villain characters in the show right around the time the movie is coming out.
Please god no! The last thing i want is for any show to become a marketing vehicle for any product.. i hate that with a passion.

I don't have a problem with commercial products appearing onscreen but they way it's done is to shove our nose in it.. these extended 2-3 seconds where the camera lingers on the product and its logo makes me want to hurl ( i nearly walked out of a Brosnan Bond once because it became so unbearable on the nose).
Old October 28 2012, 11:23 PM   #44
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

FPAlpha wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Daredevil could be the tent-pole property for an entire new tier of Marvel movies. Tie together Daredevil with Power Man and Iron Fist and Punisher using Ben Urich as the link character ala Coulson, with Wilson Fisk as a recurring villain.
I like the idea of adding more non-Avengers films to the MCU, just to broaden it still further, but I'm not sure those other films would really need to build up to a single crossover like Avengers. No reason the whole MCU has to be locked into a single formula. It might be better just to have these films in a common universe and have occasional overlapping elements or characters, or maybe smaller crossovers or guest appearances.

On the other hand, your suggestion here is kind of cool, especially the Ben Urich part. Except I'd be happier if Daredevil and Spider-Man could be under the same roof, movie-rights-wise. After all, Kingpin was originally a Spider-Man character (and so was the Punisher, for that matter), and Urich has often been a semi-regular figure in Spidey comics as well as DD; plus Spidey and DD have often swung in the same circles themselves.
Agreed.. it is a very cool idea and i'd wish they'd make it R rated to really set it apart from the blockbuster Marvel movies, kinda like Marvel Max series that featured the best Punisher series ever by Garth Ennis (and they had the coolest Nick Fury cameo appearance.. drinking, swearing, beating up army generals with his belt and having threeways ). There doesn't need to be a giant team up movie like Avengers but cameos here and there and some storyline across the movies would be cool.

Spidey on the other hand won't revert to Marvel for a loooong time (if ever). They just started their new trilogy and it'll be another 5-6 years before that concludes and who knows what happens then. I don't see the studio letting go of Spider-Man anytime soon since it's a big moneymayker.. Marvel would have to dig very deep into their pockets to buy him out and i don't think they'd want to currently (though with the money they are making with their movies they sure could).
Dare to dream?
Old October 28 2012, 11:26 PM   #45
Dream
Admiral

SONY will never give up the Spider-man film rights. It's a billion dollar franchise for them.