Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 10 2012, 01:31 AM   #16
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Re: Daredevil back to Marvel Studios?

Daredevil could be the tent-pole property for an entire new tier of Marvel movies. Tie together Daredevil with Power Man and Iron Fist and Punisher using Ben Urich as the link character ala Coulson, with Wilson Fisk as a recurring villain.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; October 10 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 01:40 AM   #17
Dream
Admiral

Circus Peanut wrote: View Post
Darevdevil almost sounds like he'd be an interesting addition of the MCU and I think it could be pulled off. I need to get a copy (theatrical version) of the Ben Affleck DD movie and watch it with the Rifftrax available for it.
The director's cut of DD is much better than the theratrical cut.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:19 AM   #18
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I hope they do a good Daredevil movie. Daredevil is the closest thing to Batman for Marvel and DD has been great for years.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:27 AM   #19
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I hope they do a good Daredevil movie. Daredevil is the closest thing to Batman for Marvel and DD has been great for years.
Actually, I think Moon Knight is the closest thing Marvel has to Batman

kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:27 AM   #20
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Dream wrote: View Post
Darevdevil almost sounds like he'd be an interesting addition of the MCU and I think it could be pulled off. I need to get a copy (theatrical version) of the Ben Affleck DD movie and watch it with the Rifftrax available for it.
The director's cut of DD is much better than the theratrical cut.
The theatrical cut is the only one that'll sync with the Rifftrax.
Old October 10 2012, 02:36 AM   #21
Dream
Admiral

I know why you are searching for the theatrical version.

Just wanted to say that the director's cut is superior. See it if you haven't already.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:41 AM   #22
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
Actually, I think Moon Knight is the closest thing Marvel has to Batman

Or the Shroud

Or Nighthawk
Old October 10 2012, 02:50 AM   #23
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Dream wrote: View Post
I know why you are searching for the theatrical version.

Just wanted to say that the director's cut is superior. See it if you haven't already.
Ideally I'd get both versions, but I really only want it for the RT as I doubt even the director's cut is going to be enough of an improvement to get me to not want to punch Ben Affleck.
Old October 10 2012, 04:11 AM   #24
Christopher
Writer

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Daredevil could be the tent-pole property for an entire new tier of Marvel movies. Tie together Daredevil with Power Man and Iron Fist and Punisher using Ben Urich as the link character ala Coulson, with Wilson Fisk as a recurring villain.
I like the idea of adding more non-Avengers films to the MCU, just to broaden it still further, but I'm not sure those other films would really need to build up to a single crossover like Avengers. No reason the whole MCU has to be locked into a single formula. It might be better just to have these films in a common universe and have occasional overlapping elements or characters, or maybe smaller crossovers or guest appearances.

On the other hand, your suggestion here is kind of cool, especially the Ben Urich part. Except I'd be happier if Daredevil and Spider-Man could be under the same roof, movie-rights-wise. After all, Kingpin was originally a Spider-Man character (and so was the Punisher, for that matter), and Urich has often been a semi-regular figure in Spidey comics as well as DD; plus Spidey and DD have often swung in the same circles themselves.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 04:17 AM   #25
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
I like the idea of adding more non-Avengers films to the MCU, just to broaden it still further, but I'm not sure those other films would really need to build up to a single crossover like Avengers. No reason the whole MCU has to be locked into a single formula. It might be better just to have these films in a common universe and have occasional overlapping elements or characters, or maybe smaller crossovers or guest appearances.

On the other hand, your suggestion here is kind of cool, especially the Ben Urich part. Except I'd be happier if Daredevil and Spider-Man could be under the same roof, movie-rights-wise. After all, Kingpin was originally a Spider-Man character (and so was the Punisher, for that matter), and Urich has often been a semi-regular figure in Spidey comics as well as DD; plus Spidey and DD have often swung in the same circles themselves.
Agreed.. it is a very cool idea and i'd wish they'd make it R rated to really set it apart from the blockbuster Marvel movies, kinda like Marvel Max series that featured the best Punisher series ever by Garth Ennis (and they had the coolest Nick Fury cameo appearance.. drinking, swearing, beating up army generals with his belt and having threeways ). There doesn't need to be a giant team up movie like Avengers but cameos here and there and some storyline across the movies would be cool.

Spidey on the other hand won't revert to Marvel for a loooong time (if ever). They just started their new trilogy and it'll be another 5-6 years before that concludes and who knows what happens then. I don't see the studio letting go of Spider-Man anytime soon since it's a big moneymayker.. Marvel would have to dig very deep into their pockets to buy him out and i don't think they'd want to currently (though with the money they are making with their movies they sure could).
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 04:22 AM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I would think that phase three will be magic/street level focused, since phase two seems to be cosmic. I expect that we will see a "Daredevil" film sometime after "Avengers 2". Marvel's probably ecstatic about this.

Also yes as mentioned in the previous page Matt accepted membership into the New Avengers. He also could very well be apart of Hickman's 18 member Avengers line up. We don't know yet I think.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 02:42 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

I know perfectly well that Spider-Man's movie rights aren't going to be back with Marvel for a long time. I'm not saying I think there's any actual prospect of Spidey and Daredevil sharing a movie universe, I'm just saying I wish it were possible.

Old October 10 2012, 03:16 PM   #28
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
Guardians of the Galaxy and Ant-Man aren't "sellers" per se either and yet.....

Sure both have had their moments but overall the length of a characters ongoing series or ability to maintain one isn't a factor for what movie Marvel Studios may choose to do.
I'll believe those two when they actually hit the theaters, not before. Just like I'll believe the rumors about "Cloak & Dagger" on the small screen when it premieres, not before. And I'll be shocked if any of them actually perform well ratings/BO-wise.

Marvel (and DC for that matter) talk a good game about "The Catalogue", but they know they have a relative few "sellers" that can carry a multi-media franchise and those are going to be their focus.

Just like in the comics.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 04:17 PM   #29
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well I think in a way a Daredevil movie could work as a side movie to the ther main "Avengers" action. I mean really think about it, phase 2 is still pretty much Avengers focused. You would think that the Battle of New York would maybe inspire more people to put on a mask or a costume and do something. Sort of the kick start event. Daredevil's origin can remain intact, but maybe it's not until after the Battle that he decides to don a mask and use his radar sense and other abilities to help out the 'little people the Avengers can't be there for.'

Put a good actor in the role and you'd have a movie that I'm sure wouldn't be a 'tentpole' movie, could still do decently at the BO and help open the door for more street level supers. A Daredevil movie doing decently, would help make a Luke Cage and the Heros for Hire work better - because then you could establish that there ARE more heros around not just the Avengers. For all we know in the MCU there are some "myths" of other costumed characters, but either they're written off as utter BS, or publicity stunts for some "damned comic book movie" and we can see the subtle rise of the unaffiliated heroes.

I would actually kind of like to see Kurt Sutter write the Daredevil movie or at least consult on it. Have a good mesh of gritty action and gang war stuff, but a fair amount of humor and drama. I mean part of what made the Phase 1 Marvel movies so well recieved, was that they had a healthy dose of humor and just plain fun. So you can't get too gritty - but you can get maybe a hint more violent/gangland with Daredevil. I mean he works out of a place called "Hell's Kitchen" I would THINK that it'd be pretty nasty down there.

Even if they don't really use Kingpin - since I think he's better as a 'silent' enemy, ala the Mandarin with Iron Man - you sort of feel his presence but he's not really even shown. Granted they're doing the same with Osborn in ASM, but I don't think Kingpin really became an issue for DD until what? The late 70s?

So maybe have him fight mostly gang bangers and mobsters, maybe just to throw in a little reference to the comics, have a Stilt Man show up and promptly get beaten in like two minutes, could be the 'light hearted' part of the movie. Then of course some legal drama action.

Daredevil could really sort of Marvel Studio's Batman/Spider-Man property - the more urban avenger, that's also sort of an acrobatic wisecracking wiseguy. Since that IS kinda what he is too.
Old October 10 2012, 04:24 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Nick Ryder wrote: View Post
I mean he works out of a place called "Hell's Kitchen" I would THINK that it'd be pretty nasty down there.
That's the thing, though... when the comics began in the '60s, Hell's Kitchen was a neighborhood worthy of the name, but these days it's been pretty thoroughly cleaned up and gentrified, so its portrayal in Daredevil comics is something of an atavism. These days it's often just called Clinton or Midtown West.