TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Dorn To Voice Firefly Character

No ALS Ice Bucket For Saldana

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 9 2012, 06:31 PM   #376
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
I really wish Contagion was at least considered as the second episode for the Screening.......I know it's not a "classic" by any means........
It's a classic to *me*.
Old October 9 2012, 10:23 PM   #377
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
groundhog wrote: View Post
Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.
Enterprise doesn't require remastering like TNG. It was posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape for all four years... so they're just going to AVC encode those for Blu-ray. The bigger news is that Robert Meyer Burnett seems to be implying that CBS is on the verge of officially announcing two more (series?) that will be coming to Blu-ray:

Robert Meyer Burnett ‏@BurnettRM
BTW...this is month ten of the #TNG Hostage Crisis. Which will
soon be adding both the...oh...wait...those haven't been announced
yet.

@cseremisi Teaser? NO IDEA what you mean. I'm just here, nose
to the grindstone, working on #TNGS2 and #TNGS3 when I'm told
we're soon to...
If I am interpreting Robert Meyer Burnett's cryptic tweets correctly, there are two unannounced items (both teasers?) that are going to pop up on the TNG S2 and/or S3 blu-ray releases. I am thinking that at least one of these will be the teaser trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Perhaps the other will be for ENT on blu-ray?
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 10:26 PM   #378
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
groundhog wrote: View Post
Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.
Enterprise doesn't require remastering like TNG. It was posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape for all four years... so they're just going to AVC encode those for Blu-ray. The bigger news is that Robert Meyer Burnett seems to be implying that CBS is on the verge of officially announcing two more (series?) that will be coming to Blu-ray:

BTW...this is month ten of the #TNG Hostage Crisis. Which will
soon be adding both the...oh...wait...those haven't been announced
yet.

@cseremisi Teaser? NO IDEA what you mean. I'm just here, nose
to the grindstone, working on #TNGS2 and #TNGS3 when I'm told
we're soon to...
If I am interpreting Robert Meyer Burnett's cryptic tweets correctly, there are two unannounced items (both teasers?) that are going to pop up on the TNG S2 and/or S3 blu-ray releases. I am thinking that at least one of these will be the teaser trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Perhaps the other will be for ENT on blu-ray?

Dont think so, Burnett hates ST2009
Old October 9 2012, 10:27 PM   #379
Dream
Admiral

While I'm really looking forward to the Visual effects of Q Who, I really wish Contagion was at least considered as the second episode for the Screening (If either Measure of a Man or Q Who were going to be the first).
Who knows? You might get your wish. I thought the two choices they picked for season one showing was pretty random. I thought Datalore was a fine choice, but I personally would have picked 11001001 over Where No One Has Gone Before.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 10:47 PM   #380
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I think he's talking about two things that will significantly prolong his already 10-month "hostage crisis" as he puts it. He wouldn't be involved in editing a trailer for the new film (that's Paramount, not CBS), so that's unlikely (though it will probably be on the S3 set I bet -- just as ST09 had a trailer on TOS S1).

The teaser for Enterprise is more plausible... but I seriously think he's referring to two things that will keep him in that edit bay for years and years to come.
Old October 10 2012, 12:36 AM   #381
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade

So what would be a plausible release schedule for TNG, ENT, and other rumored Blu-rays?
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 01:02 AM   #382
JJ-R
Ensign

LtChange wrote: View Post
He's definitely not talking about Enterprise, because he wrote that Enterprise is old news.
You could well be right, but he also could have meant that the decision to put Enterprise on Blu was old news internally. What could be coming up that directly affects him, and thus be part of the 'hostage crisis', could be work on the documentaries for Enterprise.

And now, his latest tweet: "There's certainly a lot of HD STAR TREK happening all up in this joint. I mean...more than usual."

You know, if he doesn't know about it already, he would get a kick of how much we're dissecting his off-hand tweets in here.
JJ-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 01:51 AM   #383
davejames
Vice Admiral

Who knows, maybe they decided to start on DS9 early.

You know, the old "strike while the iron is hot".
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 08:27 AM   #384
Jefferies
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post

I find that unlikely. Remember they have struggled with the immense workload of remastering TNG, so much so that they had to give the even numbered seasons to an out of house company. Doesn't make sense they would start work on DS9 in a situation like that. At least not unless they massively increase the amount of people they employ.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 07:22 PM   #385
RAMA
Vice Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
I really wish Contagion was at least considered as the second episode for the Screening.......I know it's not a "classic" by any means........
It's a classic to *me*.

Agreed, but even though quality can very, the series as a whole is considered a "classic" now so any decent episode could be called that.
Old October 10 2012, 07:25 PM   #386
RAMA
Vice Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post

The project(s) will last years, cost many man hours, and when the do the other series, the whole endeavor will be truly epic in proportions...I don't see them operating 3 or even 4 restoration teams concurrently though.
Old October 11 2012, 02:46 AM   #387
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Unless his cryptic tweet was referring to an announcement that besides Enterprise, the Animated Series will hit Blu-Ray---it was Remastered in HD for it's DVD release in 2006. So that's another Trek show that could be popped onto Blu-Ray with no trouble.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 05:41 AM   #388
Scotty
Rear Admiral

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Unless his cryptic tweet was referring to an announcement that besides Enterprise, the Animated Series will hit Blu-Ray---it was Remastered in HD for it's DVD release in 2006. So that's another Trek show that could be popped onto Blu-Ray with no trouble.
And we already had a TAS HD sample on Star Trek TOS season 2 and it looked great.
Old October 11 2012, 08:46 AM   #389
SNogueira
Cadet

What about new versions for the movies? Maybe ST-TMP (Director's Cut) and STII-TWOK (Director's Cut)? It could involve Burnett for VAM, but not necessarily involve CBS's overworked staff working on TNG...

Although I would love to see DS9 ASAP, and I guess CBS perceived the BDs will make some money and then they may want to run before the BD age ends, and they loose the opportunity to rip us off with it before streaming becomes the norm, I don't see them remastering so much stuff in so little time. Even the choice of Enterprise shows they want to release the stuff that is ready, to make a buck without spending as much as a full restoration from uncut negatives.

So, my 2 cents are on the movies... maybe we'll get Robert Wise's vision in HD, at last!
SNogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 10:41 AM   #390
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Grant wrote: View Post
Interesting. The movies usually ARE sped up by 4%--wonder why the TV show is not.
Grant wrote: View Post
I see, but for releases that are on both formats such as the 2009 TOS movie re-releases they listed times that did indicate a speed-up.
The 2009 movie DVDs are sped up, the BDs are not. The same goes for XI.