Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9 2012, 08:23 PM   #421
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Saul wrote: View Post
Surely them disappearing from their own timeline would be a bigger blunder to their personal timeline.
But they didn't disappear from their own timeline. It could be they were ALWAYS destined to go back and live the rest of their lives in the past.
Old October 9 2012, 08:40 PM   #422
Saul
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Surely them disappearing from their own timeline would be a bigger blunder to their personal timeline.
But they didn't disappear from their own timeline. It could be they were ALWAYS destined to go back and live the rest of their lives in the past.
Season 5's 'The Hungry Earth' seems to contradict that even if it is from a universe that doesn't exist anymore.
Old October 9 2012, 09:38 PM   #423
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

How does it contradict it?
Old October 9 2012, 09:41 PM   #424
RoJoHen
Awesome

I assume he means because of the "old Amy" that present-Amy sees at the end of the episode, which clearly shows that Amy still exists in the future.
Old October 9 2012, 10:02 PM   #425
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
[...] But I think it lessens the emotional impact of the story to introduce a timey-wimey out as a way of getting around the story's ending.
This is why, as much as I dislike the Ponds being removed permanently, I want it to stick. Don't present viewers with a "this can never, ever be undone" scenario then promptly undo it. It was irritating enough when Rose, a character I disliked, reappeared after we'd been assured she'd never ever ever ever be able to return; my annoyance would go off the scale if there was a similar sort of cop-out with characters I genuinely enjoy.
Old October 9 2012, 10:27 PM   #426
RoJoHen
Awesome

I would have no problem with the Ponds showing up again in the show, but it would need to be done right. What needs to be permanent is that the Doctor never sees them again and that they can't be returned to their own time. But we already know that River will at least see Amy again in order to give her the book she's written.

It might be fun to give them another adventure on their own or where they leave clues for the Doctor to find in order to solve some other mystery...or something. Or maybe an adventure with River and Captain Jack (I still want them to have an episode together).
Old October 9 2012, 11:41 PM   #427
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Season 5's 'The Hungry Earth' seems to contradict that even if it is from a universe that doesn't exist anymore.
Well... there you go... that universe doesn't exist anymore, as you said.
Old October 10 2012, 08:36 AM   #428
Starkers
Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Judge Death wrote: View Post
How do we know for a fact he never visited Reinette? Her letter? What does that prove? As I said upthread I can easily visualise Reinette and the 11th/12th/13th Doctor sitting down together to write it!
Do we know it for a fact? No. We only have the letter to go by.

But I think it lessens the emotional impact of the story to introduce a timey-wimey out as a way of getting around the story's ending. The point of the story was that Reinette was on the Slow Path while the Doctor wasn't. Stripping that away for the Doctor to come back for her doesn't make much sense.
Oh I agree, and I'm not suggesting it was a get out, I was just making the point that if a gravestone isn't incontrovertable evidence neither is a letter.

Well... there you go... that universe doesn't exist anymore, as you said.
But the Hungry Earth shows us time being rewritten anyway, given that at the start of the episode Amy and Rory are seen in the distance, but at the end it's only Amy.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 08:44 AM   #429
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^Which only goes to prove the rule wrong. It was part of their person timeline, that means they can't change it... Oh wait, it changed, never mind.
Old October 10 2012, 08:49 AM   #430
Starkers
Admiral

Unfortunately Who as a show falls apart if you think about it too much, I used to think it should have rules and canon, but now I understand what Paul Cornell said all those years ago, it's just impossible.

The only solution that works is that the Doctor percieves things differently, I'm not a huge fan of The Waters of Mars, but I think that cemented in my mind this notion that the Doctor sees some things as immutable, there are things that are set in stone and things that aren't. The Hungry Earth is one that wasn't set in stone, the end of Angels, quite literally, was.

Old October 10 2012, 08:58 AM   #431
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Unfortunately Who as a show falls apart if you think about it too much, I used to think it should have rules and canon, but now I understand what Paul Cornell said all those years ago, it's just impossible.

The only solution that works is that the Doctor percieves things differently, I'm not a huge fan of The Waters of Mars, but I think that cemented in my mind this notion that the Doctor sees some things as immutable, there are things that are set in stone and things that aren't. The Hungry Earth is one that wasn't set in stone, the end of Angels, quite literally, was.
I totally agree with that point of they can't have a set of hard and fast rules or the show just doesn't work. Like I don't give a shit that the chronovores or whatever they were called don't show up every time there's a paradox. I don't care that sometimes a paradox will rip open the universe and need a TARDIS to sustain one without that happening and other times they just have 10 paradoxes in a row to make a fun episode. But what bothers me is they throw about "This is a fixed point." "We know this so it has become fixed in our timelines" so much, so often, even within the same episode that they then ignore it in.

The Doctor perceives time in such a way as he can tell, fair enough, but how come he can then ignore and trick his way round it to save his own life, but not to work round this? How come knowing Reinette died without seeing him means he can't go back again, but Amy seeing herself and Rory on that hill top doesn't have to happen? They saw it for themselves? It just leave it all ringing hollow and leaves me with nothing really holding my interest. In much the same way the shifts in Voyager's character's personalities and everything else left Voyager being so unsatisfying.
Old October 10 2012, 11:37 AM   #432
Starkers
Admiral

Isn't this the curse of pretty much all science fiction/fantasy though? The use of cheats and get out causes, the fact that characters rarely die and stay dead. Sometimes I almost understand why the mundanes can get so dismissive of the genre. *

At least Who has the decency to throw the odd knowing wink at the audience, "we know this is guff, you know it's guff, but just ignore it and enjoy the ride". I realise that isn't perfect but damn its preferable in my view to something sniffy like Nu BSG "Oh we'd never pull that kind of crap." and then they do...

*Although in fairness regular TV pulls this kind of crap all the time, we just notice it less.

I do think Who needs to show a bit more internal consistency, and drop some of the timey wimey stuff (and I think they have this year) but I don't want it to ever be so constrained by rules that it ceases to be fun.

Old October 10 2012, 01:55 PM   #433
The Wormhole
Admiral

Of course, any attempt to make sense of when Amy and Rory are from in season 7 is a whole mess itself. But if we assume Amy and Rory were born in 1989 (in order to be 21 in season 5) and that when Rory said he was 31 in Dinosaurs on a Space ship he was giving his actual age (his father didn't correct him) then that episode was set in 2020, which is what year The Hungry Earth takes place. Take into consideration that there is at least one year before The Angels Take Manhattan (The Power of Three) and there's plenty of time for Amy and Rory to go to Wales and meet their S5 selves, we the audience just didn't see it from their perspective.

Or maybe what we saw in The Hungry Earth were Gangers or two Tessalectas?
Old October 10 2012, 03:07 PM   #434
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

I totally agree with that point of they can't have a set of hard and fast rules or the show just doesn't work. Like I don't give a shit that the chronovores or whatever they were called don't show up every time there's a paradox. I don't care that sometimes a paradox will rip open the universe and need a TARDIS to sustain one without that happening and other times they just have 10 paradoxes in a row to make a fun episode. But what bothers me is they throw about "This is a fixed point." "We know this so it has become fixed in our timelines" so much, so often, even within the same episode that they then ignore it in.

The Doctor perceives time in such a way as he can tell, fair enough, but how come he can then ignore and trick his way round it to save his own life, but not to work round this? How come knowing Reinette died without seeing him means he can't go back again, but Amy seeing herself and Rory on that hill top doesn't have to happen? They saw it for themselves? It just leave it all ringing hollow and leaves me with nothing really holding my interest. In much the same way the shifts in Voyager's character's personalities and everything else left Voyager being so unsatisfying.

You're assuming that Amy & Rory (or Amy alone) didn't go back to that hill during a time they weren't with the Doctor (or with him since it was in 2020, to fulfill the destiny) off screen.

NOTE: Had this page open, didn't see post above mine which basically says what I say.
Maybe the gaps in traveling for A&R were purposely put there by Moffat to explain this. He's shrewder than we think
Old October 11 2012, 01:24 AM   #435
DWF
Vice Admiral

Photoman15 wrote: View Post
Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post

You're assuming that Amy & Rory (or Amy alone) didn't go back to that hill during a time they weren't with the Doctor (or with him since it was in 2020, to fulfill the destiny) off screen.

NOTE: Had this page open, didn't see post above mine which basically says what I say.
Maybe the gaps in traveling for A&R were purposely put there by Moffat to explain this. He's shrewder than we think
There's nothing in the ep. to suggest that the graveyard scene was in the year 2020.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote