Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: Grade "The Angels Take Manhattan"
The girl who waited 100 64.52%
Something borrowed 35 22.58%
Average 10 6.45%
Is it bad that I really miss this? 3 1.94%
You're Scottish, fry something 7 4.52%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 9 2012, 03:10 PM   #406
Starkers
Admiral

Re: 7X05 The Angels Take Manhattan (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

O'Dib wrote: View Post
Though, did people sent to the past in Blink get time locked when eaten by an angel?
Given that both the Doctor and Martha got zapped back to the past, I'm guessing not. It isn't about being time locked as such, it's about whether your story suddenly becomes a fixed point from the Doctor's point of view.

And Winnie, even I'll laugh at that
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:18 PM   #407
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

Judge Death wrote: View Post
O'Dib wrote: View Post
Though, did people sent to the past in Blink get time locked when eaten by an angel?
Given that both the Doctor and Martha got zapped back to the past, I'm guessing not. It isn't about being time locked as such, it's about whether your story suddenly becomes a fixed point from the Doctor's point of view.

And Winnie, even I'll laugh at that
Thing is there are so many ways around that particular paradox that you don't even have to think particularly hard to get round it. Which is what's so very frustrating about the last couple of series. Huge gaps in logic and lack of following through in the story, or just plain not sticking to the rules you already established. So "This is a fixed point" becomes "I cheated" then becomes "no really, this is a fixed point, no, Really really" without a convincing reason. Other than "these actors want to leave" of course.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:45 PM   #408
Starkers
Admiral

Thing is this isn't just about the last few series. Why couldn't the Doctor pop back to see Reinette? Why couldn't the Doctor travel back a matter of minutes to save Adric?
Old October 9 2012, 03:50 PM   #409
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Thing is this isn't just about the last few series. Why couldn't the Doctor pop back to see Reinette? Why couldn't the Doctor travel back a matter of minutes to save Adric?
Well Reinette made at least some sense given the rules they'd set out because he knew for a fact he'd never visited her after he jumped on the TARDIS, but for Amy and Rory all we have is a gravestone. That tells him nothing but the gravestone is there. There doesn't even have to be bodies in there. Or if there are he could have brought them back there in their 80s and let them live their last few years there. The fact the gravestone is there means nothing at all in the life they had.

When it comes to Adric, well that much is obvious. He wanted the little prick to die.
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
Old October 9 2012, 04:00 PM   #410
Starkers
Admiral

Winnie The Pooh wrote: View Post
Well Reinette made at least some sense given the rules they'd set out because he knew for a fact he'd never visited her after he jumped on the TARDIS, but for Amy and Rory all we have is a gravestone. That tells him nothing but the gravestone is there. There doesn't even have to be bodies in there. Or if there are he could have brought them back there in their 80s and let them live their last few years there. The fact the gravestone is there means nothing at all in the life they had.

When it comes to Adric, well that much is obvious. He wanted the little prick to die.
How do we know for a fact he never visited Reinette? Her letter? What does that prove? As I said upthread I can easily visualise Reinette and the 11th/12th/13th Doctor sitting down together to write it!
Old October 9 2012, 04:16 PM   #411
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

How do we know for a fact he never visited Reinette? Her letter? What does that prove? As I said upthread I can easily visualise Reinette and the 11th/12th/13th Doctor sitting down together to write it!
Her letter and her husband saying that she died waiting for him. Though I guess that's not "fact" but it's much closer than a name on a gravestone.
Old October 9 2012, 04:18 PM   #412
Starkers
Admiral

I guess, though she could just be sneaking out behind the King's back...
Old October 9 2012, 04:21 PM   #413
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Or the Doctor has an innate sense of time and he just knows these things.
Old October 9 2012, 04:22 PM   #414
Starkers
Admiral

The Mirrorball Man wrote: View Post
Which is, rightly or wrongly, about the only thing that makes sense when you're dealing with a man who has a time machine.
Old October 9 2012, 04:43 PM   #415
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Which is, rightly or wrongly, about the only thing that makes sense when you're dealing with a man who has a time machine.
Probably, but it's such a cop out. Basically it's just saying "or it only matters what the writer wants to do." which it is, but it also leads to unsatisfying stories. At least for me.
Old October 9 2012, 05:06 PM   #416
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Do we know it for a fact? No. We only have the letter to go by.

But I think it lessens the emotional impact of the story to introduce a timey-wimey out as a way of getting around the story's ending. The point of the story was that Reinette was on the Slow Path while the Doctor wasn't. Stripping that away for the Doctor to come back for her doesn't make much sense.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 05:21 PM   #417
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Probably, but it's such a cop out. Basically it's just saying "or it only matters what the writer wants to do." which it is, but it also leads to unsatisfying stories. At least for me.
You can write time travel stories with a rigid set of rules, but you won't end up with anything that looks or feels like Doctor Who.
Old October 9 2012, 05:28 PM   #418
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

You can write time travel stories with a rigid set of rules, but you won't end up with anything that looks or feels like Doctor Who.
Don't need hard and fast rules, just this ending feels so unsatisfying when they've already had 3 decent jumping off points in their relationship with the Doctor that were more satisfying and just the week before they had another opportunity to call it a day in a way that would have left them in a good place without any of this convoluted nonsense.
Old October 9 2012, 05:48 PM   #419
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

Don't need hard and fast rules, just this ending feels so unsatisfying when they've already had 3 decent jumping off points in their relationship with the Doctor that were more satisfying and just the week before they had another opportunity to call it a day in a way that would have left them in a good place without any of this convoluted nonsense.
Alright but then you just end up with a value judgment. Me, I didn't think it was "convoluted nonsense" and I thought this ending was satisfying.
Old October 9 2012, 06:03 PM   #420
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

Alright but then you just end up with a value judgment. Me, I didn't think it was "convoluted nonsense" and I thought this ending was satisfying.
Fair enough. I just think that I've been left unconvinced by much of series 6 and 7, so these kinds of twists and turns that amount to nothing have left me jaded and unwilling to suspend disbelief enough to enjoy them as written. My score for this half series would be 2 decent, 1 good, and 2 that bugged me too much to let me really enjoy them at all.