Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old October 8 2012, 05:33 PM   #1
DostoyevskyClone
Captain

FC plothole? Why didn't the Borg create the vortex in the Delta Q?

My apologies if this has been brought up before, but it just occurred to me: why didn't the Borg create the temporal vortex in their own galaxy, thereby precluding any possibility that they would be interfered with?

I'm assuming they traveled from the Delta Quadrant. Couldn't they have just made the same journey...but in 2063? If they had done this, wouldn't this have assured they met no resistance when entering Earth's orbit?
"Life is islands of ecstasy in an ocean of ennui, and after the age of thirty land is seldom seen. At best we wander from one much-worn sandbar to the next, soon familiar with each grain of sand we see..."

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart
DostoyevskyClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 05:39 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: FC plothole? Why didn't the Borg create the vortex in the Delta Q?

I thought the time travel was plan B, hastily implimented once plan A (Fly cube to Earth. Destroy. Assimilate. etc.) failed and the queen got her knickers in a twist.
Old October 8 2012, 05:52 PM   #3
MacLeod
Admiral

Another Plot hole, is why not just use the transwarp conduit that exits about 1 ly from Earth. (VOY: Endgame) of course it might not have been constructd at that point.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:26 PM   #4
Christopher
Writer

The Borg having time travel at all is a huge plot hole. If they already had the ability to go back in time and change history, why haven't they already done so and assimilated the whole galaxy retroactively? It's also out of character for them; when they suffer a setback, they just accept it and keep on pushing forward until they overwhelm it by sheer numbers and persistence. (I offered a possible explanation for this inconsistency in my novel Watching the Clock.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 08:27 PM   #5
6079SmithW
Vice Admiral

It is possible that the Borg had just recently invented/assimilated the time travel technology and it was not a sure thing. If the technology was new and not completely refined, perhaps they only had enough power for one time travel trip. With regards to the location of the trip, maybe they thought it would be more efficient to time travel physically close to earth so they wouldn't have to travel a long distance once the time travel trip was complete.
Old October 8 2012, 09:13 PM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Because the heroes couldn't follow them if they time traveled in the Delta Quadrant.
Old October 8 2012, 10:00 PM   #7
Christopher
Writer

6079SmithW wrote: View Post
It is possible that the Borg had just recently invented/assimilated the time travel technology and it was not a sure thing. If the technology was new and not completely refined, perhaps they only had enough power for one time travel trip.
But that happened in 2373, and we know the Federation is still intact as late as 2387. If the Borg got time travel once, then presumably all Borg would've had the knowledge from then on, and could've built another device. So the galaxy would still be screwed.

Giving the Borg time travel at all was a very bad idea storywise -- it opens a huge can of worms that the screenwriters didn't bother to address because it was nothing more than a plot gimmick to them. It would've been better if they'd had the Borg and the Enterprise thrown into the past by accident -- say, "Yesterday's Enterprise" style, with the energies of the battle interacting with a natural cosmic phenomenon and creating a time rift.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 10:41 PM   #8
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
(I offered a possible explanation for this inconsistency in my novel Watching the Clock.)

Which is awesome, by the way.

Christopher wrote: View Post
6079SmithW wrote: View Post
It is possible that the Borg had just recently invented/assimilated the time travel technology and it was not a sure thing. If the technology was new and not completely refined, perhaps they only had enough power for one time travel trip.
But that happened in 2373, and we know the Federation is still intact as late as 2387. If the Borg got time travel once, then presumably all Borg would've had the knowledge from then on, and could've built another device. So the galaxy would still be screwed.

Giving the Borg time travel at all was a very bad idea storywise -- it opens a huge can of worms that the screenwriters didn't bother to address because it was nothing more than a plot gimmick to them. It would've been better if they'd had the Borg and the Enterprise thrown into the past by accident -- say, "Yesterday's Enterprise" style, with the energies of the battle interacting with a natural cosmic phenomenon and creating a time rift.
None of the TNG films were well regarded for their writing. Your idea is better than what we got.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 11:40 PM   #9
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Alternativelly, Borg could have sent 2 cubes and the jig would be up.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 11:35 AM   #10
Admiral

There was something in one of the DS9 Millenium trilogy novels, where someone asks why the Federation's enemies don't just keep going back in time to conquer Earth in the past. Worf said the Klingon Empire did try, a century ago. They sent fleets back using the slingshot maneuver, but they were never heard from again. It was originally thought they were destroyed going back through time, but another later theory was that they travelled back and succeeded - but in doing so branched off alternate timelines (this was written almost a decade before STXI, btw). So maybe the Borg tried and tried, but Borg-Prime never benefited?
Old October 9 2012, 02:27 PM   #11
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The problem with that is, it worked in the case of First Contact... they did change the Prime timeline.
Old October 9 2012, 03:05 PM   #12
blueziggy
Lieutenant

i never had a problem with it. its a little convoluted but:

-if the borg go back in time and assimilate earth before earth develops certain technologies what would become of those technologies? would they just disappear?

-its always stated that the borg want the biological and cultural distinctiveness of each race it assimilates. why would you completely assimilate a culture at a point when its at its infancy? assimilating everyone never made sense because then there would be no growing. leaving a few hundred thousand to continue the culture makes more sense.
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:46 PM   #13
Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
The problem with that is, it worked in the case of First Contact... they did change the Prime timeline.
Good point.

Unless that "temporal wake" that hit sucked the Enterprise-E into the resultant alternate timeline... and the other survivors of the fleet are left forever wondering where the Borg sphere and the Enterprise vanished to. Not exactly dramatically satisfying...
Old October 9 2012, 03:55 PM   #14
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

^That would be how I'd interpret it though, much like how Nero and Spock jumped tracks.

One wonders whether Our Heroes checked their quantum signatures when they returned to the future to ensure they were back where they were supposed to be.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 04:40 PM   #15
blueziggy
Lieutenant

DonIago wrote: View Post
^That would be how I'd interpret it though, much like how Nero and Spock jumped tracks.

One wonders whether Our Heroes checked their quantum signatures when they returned to the future to ensure they were back where they were supposed to be.
it wouldn't matter since picard is still stuck in the nexus anyway.
blueziggy is offline   Reply With Quote