Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 9 2012, 02:02 PM   #1186
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Does thhe Martinverse has something similar to the Star Wars Essential Atlas.

Something examining the Lore of the world.
There's at least one book coming out soon, and another later. There's The Lands of Ice and Fire, which will be a world atlas (released at the end of the month) and World of Ice and Fire, which is supposed to be a companion of sorts, although there is no solid release date for this, nor would I guess there is likely to be until GRRM gets close to finishing the series.
Old October 9 2012, 02:54 PM   #1187
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Thanks.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 06:07 PM   #1188
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
World of Ice and Fire, which is supposed to be a companion of sorts, although there is no solid release date for this, nor would I guess there is likely to be until GRRM gets close to finishing the series.
There isn't a solid release date yet, but there'll be one sooner than that. The world book has always been planned to come out between Dance and Winds, and Martin is working heavily on his portions of it right now. I would imagine his hope now is to deliver it soonish for publication next year. Then again, his hope last year was to deliver it last year for publication this year, so...
Old October 10 2012, 02:40 AM   #1189
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

From what I've gathered, 'The World of Ice and Fire' was expanded a bit following the show's success and given a bigger budget for art and other extra production values. Might explain a bit of a delay, in addition to George's slow writing pace of late.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 05:13 AM   #1190
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

The world book has been in development for a long time. It was first announced in 2006 for publication in late 2007/early 2008, back when Martin was deluding himself that he could finish Dance very rapidly after Feast. Then it kept getting pushed back along with Dance; by June 2011, when Martin had finished Dance and was turning his attention to various other projects, the world book was "almost three years late" and "need[ed] to be finished and delivered by year's end." That was, I would guess, the big reason why he reported around that time that he wouldn't even be starting The Winds of Winter until early 2012; he was hoping to finish the world book instead. Obviously that didn't happen; as recently as mid-September of this year he was still working on it, reporting (oh, the surprise) that the new material was taking, and becoming, longer than he had expected.

Looking now at the subforum of Westeros.org where the world book is being discussed (including by the co-authors and forum owners), I see that the text of the world book had been finalized by the end of last year and they were just waiting on artwork... but then while the artwork was being completed Martin decided to add more material, including the stuff he's been working on recently. The map book, a fairly recent development, ended up taking the publication slot originally planned for the world book, which is now on track for release sometime late next year.
Old October 10 2012, 09:23 PM   #1191
3chordboy
Lieutenant Commander

looks like The Red Wedding could be coming to our screens in the next series

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/is-g...he-red-wedding
3chordboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 11:07 PM   #1192
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
No surprises there, as it's been speculated for a while that the Red Wedding would be the ideal subject for the ninth episode of the season given that ASOS is divided into two seasons.

Looking forward to it, anyway, as it's one of the most wrenching and brutal passages of the novels.
Old October 11 2012, 01:28 AM   #1193
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

It was officially when I stopped trying to predict what was going to happen, that's for sure...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 02:29 AM   #1194
Colonel Midnight
Vice Admiral

^ No kidding.

I'm curious just what shenanigans GRRM has up his sleeve for TWOW and ADOS.

Cheers,
-CM-

0 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
Colonel Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 11:29 AM   #1195
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Extensive interview with George RR Martin this month.

He talks up a storm but no news about publication.
Old October 11 2012, 02:51 PM   #1196
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Good interview, but some of the translation errors were a bit distracting. Martin strikes me as a very precise speaker, in a similar manner of how he writes his books. When there is a slight deviation by the writer/interviewee away from English, or being written by a person who doesn't have a complete command of the English language it seems to really interrupt the flow of the content and deteriorated even more towards the end. Other than that, looking at what I perceive to be the content of the interview, I thought it was well done and not full of a bunch of cliched questions.

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; October 11 2012 at 03:03 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2012, 08:01 PM   #1197
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I read that episode 8 will probably feature Sansa and Tyrion's wedding. I think it was on winteriscoming.net.

I wonder if they will reference the document Robb had his bannermen sign before his death?
Old October 12 2012, 08:47 AM   #1198
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

The two events you mention are not contiguous in the books.
Old October 12 2012, 01:32 PM   #1199
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

At this point I don't see why they would bother with little things like that. They've clearly shown a willingness to change things and a disinclination towards such nuance and foreshadowing.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 04:05 PM   #1200
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

If the letter's going to be at all important later on, I'm sure they'll work it in. I don't tend to think it will be-- whatever Jon does after A Dance with Dragons, it probably isn't going to be taking up the banner of the King in the North, and if all that happens is him refusing the possibility, that's not important enough from the TV writers' perspective to be worth dramatizing.

I imagine the order of King's Landing vs. Riverlands events in the book is likely to be jumbled a bit. If the show stuck very faithfully to the sequence of events in the book, they'd have to do Joffrey's wedding in the first or second episode of season four, and then the rest of A Storm of Swords would only take up half the season. That might be the plan, but I doubt it. We already know, for example, that Oberyn Martell isn't being introduced this season, even though in the book he arrives in King's Landing before the Red Wedding.