RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,162
Posts: 5,402,544
Members: 24,751
Currently online: 540
Newest member: kaklina

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 9 2012, 02:44 AM   #391
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

You know what the really ironic thing is? kirk's reaction to A Human Reaction is exactly the same as Crichton's is to the beginning of WGFA. More or less, "A 'he's really back on earth' story? REALLY?"
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:00 AM   #392
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Because it's surreal and outrageous and blackly comic?

Honestly, it's much better ep than "The Locket," which, as I recall, is more of a straightforward time-travel drama like you'd find on any other SF series.
Yeah, I wouldn't say The Locket was a particularly good episode. Not bad, but its definately forgettable.


Again, there's more to any TV episode than just what happens. There's the acting, the editing, the dialogue and character interactions, the grace notes and funny bits that make the whole experience worth watching. Not to mention the costumes and makeup and special effects.
You're right, although I can forgive bad make up/special effects/editing if the story is good. Still, there is just some stuff I don't like, reguardless of what show is doing it. The whole fake out thing that episodes like A Human reaction/WGFA have is definately something I don't enjoy, as is the premise of the Princess Trilogy. Its nothing against farscape, I just don't think stuff like that is entertaining (well, the fake out thing, in very rare instances, can be done well, but after A human reaction I don't think Farscape can do it).

You can't just judge a story by the plot alone. By that standard, JAWS is just "a big shark eats some people, then they blow it up." And the Spielberg movie is no different than some low-budget straight-to-video knockoff.
I actually don't like Jaws. I can kind of see why people that saw it when it came out would like it, but it came out 15 years before I was born, and to me its just a slow movie with lackluster shark effects

What matters is not the plot, but how the story is told . . . and the experience along the way. It's the journey, not the destination.
I get what you mean, but why would I want to experience the bumps on the way to the destination? I don't think I've ever watched every episode of a tV show, there is always some episodes I skip (well, except maybe episodes of Firefly, those were all pretty good). Farscape's second season has been a bit rough, but its picking up now, and just looking ahead I don't forsee and skips for awhile (unless one of the upcoming episodes is a Chiana episode and I can't tell from the summary, then there may be some skipping, or atleast some major fast forwarding).

Lindley wrote: View Post
You know what the really ironic thing is? kirk's reaction to A Human Reaction is exactly the same as Crichton's is to the beginning of WGFA. More or less, "A 'he's really back on earth' story? REALLY?"
Yeah, that was basically my reaction. I couldn't believe they'd pull out that cliche again so soon.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:23 AM   #393
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The whole fake out thing that episodes like A Human reaction/WGFA have is definately something I don't enjoy
WGFA doesn't qualify as a fake-out story. It doesn't even try to pretend he's really on Earth for more than about 30 seconds.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:51 AM   #394
KellynSE
Cadet
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Here’s the thing: Farscape is just as much a character study of one John Crichton as it is a space opera, and "Won’t Get Fooled Again" is as adept an examination of John’s psyche as any other episode that ever aired. Skip episodes like this, and you are not getting the entire story.

I like both “A Human Reaction” and “Won’t Get Fooled Again,” but like every other single poster has insisted: These. Episodes. Are. Nothing. Alike. Different tone. Different style. Very different context.

If you recall the bit of AHR you did watch--was it a surreal, lightning paced black comedy barreling towards a shattering, chilling conclusion? No? Then it’s not “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by any stretch of the imagination.

You said you liked "The Ugly Truth"? So did I, but it's far far far more pedestrian as a Rashomon retread than WGFA is as a riff on Back To Fake Earth.
KellynSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:58 AM   #395
KellynSE
Cadet
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Lindley wrote: View Post
You know what the really ironic thing is? kirk's reaction to A Human Reaction is exactly the same as Crichton's is to the beginning of WGFA. More or less, "A 'he's really back on earth' story? REALLY?"


Yeah, that was basically my reaction. I couldn't believe they'd pull out that cliche again so soon.
If the show is saying the same thing that you are then maybe, just maybe you might want to trust that it knows what it's doing in this particular instance.
KellynSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 04:34 AM   #396
Jolaris
Commander
 
Location: Umea, Vasterbotten, Sweden
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
As for Won't Get Fooled Again, I know people keep saying its not like A Human Reaction, but its still too close for me to have any desire to watch it. I know its not the real Earth, therefore its just a waste of time to watch him walk around a obviously fake earth for 30+ minutes until he escapes/gets rescued/gets released and he's back on Moya like nothing happened. I just don't understand the appeal.
The appeal is that the episode is both laugh-out-loud funny in its' absurdity and chilling in it's conclusion. When I watched it for the first time it didn't take long before I had entirely forgotten that it was suppose to be about a fake earth and just rolled with the comedy as it goes more and more of the rails...

And on Farscape there is no such thing as "he's back like nothing happened".

It's like saying Schindler's List and Robin Hood: Men in Tights are about a man saving the common people from a dictator.
__________________
What does God need with a starship?

To get to the other side of course!
Jolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 06:09 AM   #397
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Watch this clip and this clip, and then you can see why people love WGFA so much. IMO if you don't like these clips then you should just stop watch Farscape right now.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 01:18 PM   #398
Forbin
Admiral
 
Forbin's Avatar
 
Location: I said out, dammit!
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

"You have the right to the remains of a silent attorney!"

How can you not love it?

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 01:24 PM   #399
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

To say nothing of the fact, the title tells you it's not the same Won't Get Fooled Again"
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 05:30 PM   #400
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Oxford, PA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Lindley wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
The whole fake out thing that episodes like A Human reaction/WGFA have is definately something I don't enjoy
WGFA doesn't qualify as a fake-out story. It doesn't even try to pretend he's really on Earth for more than about 30 seconds.
Precisely, as the title indicates, Crichton doesn't get faked out again. That's the whole point. The episode takes the original gimmick and throws it out the window--with extreme prejudice!

Plus, again, the execution and tone of a story is what matters,not the bare bones of the plot. The story of King Arthur has been done as a Disney cartoon, a Broadway musical, a Monty Python spoof, and an R-rated epic full of blood and sex, but I don't think you can assume they're all just the same old thing.

"Nah, I didn't like Camelot, so I'm going to skip Excalibur."
__________________
www.gregcox-author.com
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 06:26 PM   #401
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

JD wrote: View Post
Watch this clip and this clip, and then you can see why people love WGFA so much. IMO if you don't like these clips then you should just stop watch Farscape right now.
I was not a fan of that first clip. I don't like seeing weird stuff like that, where the characters are used in a weird dream/hallucination scenes acting in ways that they never would normally, atleast not in more serious shows. Scrubs did stuff like that very well, but its a much different show than Farscape. In Farscape, it just ticks me off. Although, to be fair, Rygel was pretty funny, but the first 50 seconds with just Aeryn, Jar jar and Zhaan was painful.

That second clip was just stupid to be stupid. It was about as funny as a stick in the eye. That just reinforces my opinion on the episode.I don't like bat s@$& crazy "humor" like that, stuff without context. Why is Crais wearing women's shoes while in a cop uniform funny? Why is he in a cop uniform in the first place? I need context with humor, even the wackiest Scrubs daydreams had some kind of context, or made some kind of sense. Having watched over a season and a half of farscape, stuff like that has actually never happened before (even Cracker's Don't matter made some kind of sense), so I don't think it represents the series at all. The show has made me laugh, but I need more than uncomfortable, unfunny sexual humor and crais in high heels when it comes to comedy.

Now, for the episode I watched earlier today.

Liars, Guns and Money Part 1 (Farscape) - I liked this episode (which means people can stop telling me to quit the series, right ). It had some flaws, but overall was enjoyable. It does make me wonder, yet again, what Scorpius's motivation is. He hasn't been given any real reason why he's doing all these weird things to John, why he's taking so much time and using so many resources to capture him. Why would he put a chip in John's head? Is this all because John resisted his stupid chair the first time he was captured? His actions just make no sense at all, atleast Crais had a reason to hunt John, even if it was kind of stupid. Scorpius just seems to have nothing better to do than to chase John. Besides that, this was a solid episode, and I think this will be a good group of episodes.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 06:55 PM   #402
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
It does make me wonder, yet again, what Scorpius's motivation is. He hasn't been given any real reason why he's doing all these weird things to John, why he's taking so much time and using so many resources to capture him. Why would he put a chip in John's head? Is this all because John resisted his stupid chair the first time he was captured? His actions just make no sense at all, atleast Crais had a reason to hunt John, even if it was kind of stupid. Scorpius just seems to have nothing better to do than to chase John. Besides that, this was a solid episode, and I think this will be a good group of episodes.
You would know the answers to those questions, at least to a degree, if you hadn't chosen to skip key episodes.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 07:03 PM   #403
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Well, a little confusion is worth skipping the Princess trilogy (I'm assuming thats what you're talking about, I don't think the other episodes I skipped even had scorpius). I'm sure it will be mentioned eventually. I tried looking on wikipedia and googling "why does Scorpius want to capture John Crichton?" and got no info, but its not a huge deal. His motivation is bound to come up again eventually.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 07:24 PM   #404
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul
 
Location: Fairfax, VA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Again, you're wrong. You should simply accept that we know what we are talking about when we say which episodes are important and which are not.
__________________
Lead Organizer for EVN: Firefly.
"So apparently the really smart zombies have automatic weapons!"
-Torg, Sluggy Freelance
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 07:29 PM   #405
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Lindley wrote: View Post
Again, you're wrong. You should simply accept that we know what we are talking about when we say which episodes are important and which are not.
I'm wrong about what? That Scorpius's motivation was told in the Princess Trilogy? That his motivation will be brought up again? Of the episodes I've skipped, his motivation could probably only have been talked about in the Princess trilogy or WGFA (unless I really misjudged Taking the stone or beware of dog). Reguadless of what episode it was discussed in, I'm sure it will be brought up again.

I've never said that the people who have posted in this thread don't know what they're talking about. I never said the Princess trilogy couldn't be important, just that I could get the info elsewhere without suffering through the episodes. For all I know WGFA may be important (although I seriously doubt it). I can't really argue an episodes importance, especially not with people who have seen the whole series. I can say whether I liked an episode or not, and thats not really debateable because its my opinion. That doesn't mean others can't like the episodes, or that they can't be important. I don't believe that there is any episode that can't be skipped if you read a summary of what happened, and I'm not lost when it comes to the overall plot at all, I'm just not clear on Scorpius's motivation, and its not that important, he's the bad guy, thats all the motivation he needs, really.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babylon 5, farscape

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.