RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,889
Posts: 5,330,083
Members: 24,558
Currently online: 453
Newest member: Supercapo

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 7 2012, 08:03 PM   #361
SoM
Commander
 
SoM's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Blu-Ray. The international Blu-Ray spec includes 24p, so they don't change it (annoyingly, it doesn't include *25p* or 50i. The latter's basically UK-only, and I don't think there's a 25p spec at all. This leads to some badly smeared standards-converted Blu-Rays of UK material like Doctor Who to make them 24p so they only need one worldwide version...).

OTOH, a DVD release *would* be sped up.
Doctor Who is currently shot at 1920x1080/25 native. UK DW DVD's are therefore not sped up. I have to say, I think UK HD sets have a clear advantage over their "rest of the world" non-PAL counterparts in as much as they support 24/50/60 fps. AFAIK, most sets sold in say, the US, do not support PAL 50.
Yeah, it's shot (and broadcast on BBC1 HD/BBC HD) at 25p. But the Blu-Rays (*not* R2 DVDs, which are 576/50i) are converted to 24p because they only make one BR master for worldwide sales.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:07 PM   #362
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

SoM wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Blu-Ray. The international Blu-Ray spec includes 24p, so they don't change it (annoyingly, it doesn't include *25p* or 50i. The latter's basically UK-only, and I don't think there's a 25p spec at all. This leads to some badly smeared standards-converted Blu-Rays of UK material like Doctor Who to make them 24p so they only need one worldwide version...).

OTOH, a DVD release *would* be sped up.
Doctor Who is currently shot at 1920x1080/25 native. UK DW DVD's are therefore not sped up. I have to say, I think UK HD sets have a clear advantage over their "rest of the world" non-PAL counterparts in as much as they support 24/50/60 fps. AFAIK, most sets sold in say, the US, do not support PAL 50.
Yeah, it's shot (and broadcast on BBC1 HD/BBC HD) at 25p. But the Blu-Rays (*not* R2 DVDs, which are 576/50i) are converted to 24p because they only make one BR master for worldwide sales.
The only DW BD's I own are the UK "Complete Specials" box - and they are not encoded at 24fps. I've just analysed "Planet of the Dead" on my PC to confirm. It's encoded at 29.97 which of course makes it compatible with 60hz NTSC region displays.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 04:52 AM   #363
trekker670
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Dream wrote: View Post
http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/images/S2Trailer12.jpg

Looking forward to seeing that episode in HD!
I'm very much looking forward to this episode as well. Something about that shot makes the cube look particularly like a model, it may be the lighting. I'm sure some tweaks will be made between the trailer and the final episode, as we saw in S1 as well.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 05:48 AM   #364
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

I'm really looking forward to that episode too. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing this shot in HD.

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 02:16 PM   #365
NewHorizon
Captain
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I'm really looking forward to that episode too. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing this shot in HD.

Yes, I've been thinking about that shot myself.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 12:05 AM   #366
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

While I'm really looking forward to the Visual effects of Q Who, I really wish Contagion was at least considered as the second episode for the Screening (If either Measure of a Man or Q Who were going to be the first). I know it's not a "classic" by any means, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the Enterprise blow up (Ok, it's not the Enterprise, but it's a variation of it) and if they cleaned up the images on the Iconian gateway. That, and it's probably in my top 5 favorite episodes of the season, but there are quite a number of good FX shots in that episode that are underrated.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:11 AM   #367
mswood
Rear Admiral
 
mswood's Avatar
 
Location: 9th level of Hell
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I'm really looking forward to that episode too. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing this shot in HD.

Yes, I've been thinking about that shot myself.
One of the scifi magazines showed the model they came up with for that piece of hull, boy it was pretty weak, so I hope it doesn't show up well on screen.
__________________
My fandom will SALT and BURN your fandom!
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 05:50 AM   #368
groundhog
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.
groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 07:07 AM   #369
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain
 
Maxwell Everett's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

groundhog wrote: View Post
Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.
Enterprise doesn't require remastering like TNG. It was posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape for all four years... so they're just going to AVC encode those for Blu-ray. The bigger news is that Robert Meyer Burnett seems to be implying that CBS is on the verge of officially announcing two more (series?) that will be coming to Blu-ray:

Robert Meyer Burnett ‏@BurnettRM
BTW...this is month ten of the #TNG Hostage Crisis. Which will
soon be adding both the...oh...wait...those haven't been announced
yet.

Robert Meyer Burnett ‏@BurnettRM
@cseremisi Teaser? NO IDEA what you mean. I'm just here, nose
to the grindstone, working on #TNGS2 and #TNGS3 when I'm told
we're soon to...
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:25 AM   #370
JJ-R
Ensign
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

groundhog wrote: View Post
Really cool news about Enterprise coming to Blu-ray next year, but hopefully it's not just quickly slapped together, but remastered and all that good stuff.
If Mike Sussman is sitting down for new interviews when the original DVDs had quite a few featurettes already, I doubt CBS is taking the easy road on this, fortunately. If they're talking to a writing staff member like Sussman, presumably they're interviewing many more key personnel too.

Would CBS put up the cash for a substantial documentary series about the less lucrative Enterprise, as they are for TNG? They seem so high on Trek at the moment that I wouldn't be at all surprised.

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Enterprise doesn't require remastering like TNG. It was posted on 1080p/24 D5 tape for all four years... so they're just going to AVC encode those for Blu-ray. The bigger news is that Robert Meyer Burnett seems to be implying that CBS is on the verge of officially announcing two more (series?) that will be coming to Blu-ray:
I was trying to decrypt those tweets earlier today, and I wasn't optimistic enough to even consider that meaning - I'm glad of your interpretation! I figured he was referring to two of the unannounced season 2 extras, but this is much more intriguing.

If TNG hostage crisis refers to Burnett's time creating the documentaries, it certainly makes sense. I can't imagine he and Roger Lay would have time to handle the extras for two other Trek series though in addition to Enterprise. But the fact that "both the animated series and Enterprise" (to speculatively complete his sentence) are ready for HD certainly tracks.

If true, CBS are certainly keen to pump out more Trek on Blu ASAP. The TNG season 1 sales figures must have really impressed them.
JJ-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:45 AM   #371
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

What exactly does 'TNG Hostage Crisis' mean?
__________________
=)
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 01:46 PM   #372
Dac
Commodore
 
Dac's Avatar
 
Location: The Essex wastes...
View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

JJ-R wrote: View Post
If TNG hostage crisis refers to Burnett's time creating the documentaries, it certainly makes sense. I can't imagine he and Roger Lay would have time to handle the extras for two other Trek series though in addition to Enterprise. But the fact that "both the animated series and Enterprise" (to speculatively complete his sentence) are ready for HD certainly tracks.
Both the animated series? What's the other one then?

I'm pretty sure the TNG Hostage Crisis refers to the onslaught of work required to produce the series and/or documentaries he oversees, as in they're being held hostage until all 7 series are done.

As for "both" I'm pretty sure he's implying both DS9 and Voyager are going to get the HD treatment at some point.

EDIT: Yeah, ignore me. I fail English when I wake up.

Last edited by Dac; October 9 2012 at 05:46 PM.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:14 PM   #373
LtChange
Commander
 
Location: Aboard the Destiny
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

He's definitely not talking about Enterprise, because he wrote that Enterprise is old news.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 04:50 PM   #374
Jefferies
Captain
 
Jefferies's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

[QUOTE=Dac;7078240]
JJ-R wrote: View Post
As for "both" I'm pretty sure he's implying both DS9 and Voyager are going to get the HD treatment at some point.
As far as Voyager is concerned such a statement could only be his personal opinion. From what we know Voyager is not currently on the table for remastering and it probably won't be until DS9 has shown some success on blu ray a few years from now.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 05:31 PM   #375
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

mswood wrote: View Post
NewHorizon wrote: View Post
Zombie Seeker wrote: View Post
I'm really looking forward to that episode too. I'm particularly looking forward to seeing this shot in HD.

Yes, I've been thinking about that shot myself.
One of the scifi magazines showed the model they came up with for that piece of hull, boy it was pretty weak, so I hope it doesn't show up well on screen.
"They're carving us up like a roast."
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.