Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old September 16 2012, 06:24 AM   #76
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Best Audio Book?

Sindatur wrote: View Post
maybe I'll fall in love with Evelyn/6
That's so cute. I love the way you think there's an option.
Old September 18 2012, 09:12 PM   #77
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Just downloaded Spare Parts (Still have to Unzip it and burn to Disc), and I've still $9.00 in My Paypal Account (Spare Parts was $7.99 US, however, it charged me 5pound31 [Or 5.31 Pounds, if that's wrong terminology] which converted to $8.86, so I figure $9.00 one more download will be covered)

So, I think I want to try a Colin Baker. Is The Holy Terror (as mentioned early on) The Best Colin Baker, or is there a better one (Or one, that might be a good companion to Spare Parts?)

If a good companion to Spare parts, should one be listened to before the other?

Oh, and is Lungbarrow, the only Media that Covers that area (That's related to Cartmel Master Plan, Right?) or are there some audios that play with Cartmel's Master Plan?

Edit: Ooh, just realized Sally Knyvette (That's Jenna from B7 right?) is in Spare Parts
I just listened to spare parts for the first time. That was excellent.

One of the best Big Finishes I have heard.
Pindar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 10:02 PM   #78
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Pindar wrote: View Post
Just downloaded Spare Parts (Still have to Unzip it and burn to Disc), and I've still $9.00 in My Paypal Account (Spare Parts was $7.99 US, however, it charged me 5pound31 [Or 5.31 Pounds, if that's wrong terminology] which converted to $8.86, so I figure $9.00 one more download will be covered)

So, I think I want to try a Colin Baker. Is The Holy Terror (as mentioned early on) The Best Colin Baker, or is there a better one (Or one, that might be a good companion to Spare Parts?)

If a good companion to Spare parts, should one be listened to before the other?

Oh, and is Lungbarrow, the only Media that Covers that area (That's related to Cartmel Master Plan, Right?) or are there some audios that play with Cartmel's Master Plan?

Edit: Ooh, just realized Sally Knyvette (That's Jenna from B7 right?) is in Spare Parts
I just listened to spare parts for the first time. That was excellent.

One of the best Big Finishes I have heard.
I'm loooking forward to listening to Spare Parts. At the tail end of Iris Wildthyme 2.3, so only 1 more episode to go. Rather confusing who Iris' target audience is? The stories are a bit juvenile, but, there's far too much approval of overindulgence in alcohol (And some pretty strong sexual inuendos) for them to actually be aimed at kids? Episode 2.3 is kinda neat though, there's a bit of a parody of Davison to C. Baker Regeneration in parts of it, including a couple lines lifted directly from it such as, "There was only enough for you, I might regenerate" and "For Good or Ill, I AM Iris Wildthyme"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2012, 08:37 PM   #79
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Finished Spare Parts, loved the Story, thanks for all the Recommendations for it. Bonus points for the references to the properly used "Creepy Cloth Faced" version. They really are the creepiest version, IMHO.

Finished the first disc of The Reaping. In the opening, Peri's voice was really off and childish sounding, I thought she was playing a 10 or 12 year old, until they said she was 18? Throughout the first disc, she often slips into that "little girl voice", though msotly she sounds properly like Peri. I didn't notice this at all in The Doctor Who Unbound story she's in, so, I wonder was this Nicola Bryant's first (Or one of her first) returns to the character after alot of years, and she was struggling to get the voice down? Enjoying the story so far, and definitely nice to do back to back Cybermen stories like this

Old September 28 2012, 11:02 PM   #80
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Enjoying the story so far, and definitely nice to do back to back Cybermen stories like this
I just listened to another Cyberman story that I quite liked. It's from season 1 of the Companion Chronicles. Caroline John returned as Liz Shaw in "The Blue Tooth" ... In it, it's several years after she left the Doctor and UNIT. She is telling someone the story of the end of her tenure. It just happened to be during a Cyberman invasion. Only, a very different sort of invasion, with a different sort of Cyberman.

Loved hearing Caroline as Liz once more, though it's sad that I didn't do it until after she passed away. Now I want to get the rest of her CCs.
Old September 28 2012, 11:23 PM   #81
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Enjoying the story so far, and definitely nice to do back to back Cybermen stories like this
I just listened to another Cyberman story that I quite liked. It's from season 1 of the Companion Chronicles. Caroline John returned as Liz Shaw in "The Blue Tooth" ... In it, it's several years after she left the Doctor and UNIT. She is telling someone the story of the end of her tenure. It just happened to be during a Cyberman invasion. Only, a very different sort of invasion, with a different sort of Cyberman.

Loved hearing Caroline as Liz once more, though it's sad that I didn't do it until after she passed away. Now I want to get the rest of her CCs.
Yea, I need to get some more Companion Chronicles, I just recently finished the Brig and Polly The Three Companions

Old September 29 2012, 09:41 AM   #82
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Damn, I should have come here instead of starting another Big Finish thread. Sorry folks.

I've been working my way through all of Six's stories, then will probably go back and finish up Eights adventures.

I've enjoyed the Evelyn stories, but I hate that they've done them out of order. Having her leave the Doctor, then going back and telling new stories of them travelling together does get rather confusing.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29 2012, 01:24 PM   #83
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Damn, I should have come here instead of starting another Big Finish thread. Sorry folks.

I've been working my way through all of Six's stories, then will probably go back and finish up Eights adventures.

I've enjoyed the Evelyn stories, but I hate that they've done them out of order. Having her leave the Doctor, then going back and telling new stories of them travelling together does get rather confusing.
Eh, not like it's always easy for someone else to find the thread, it's kind of old, and drifts off the first page, and at the time I started the thread, I wasn't familiar with the Concept of Audio Plays versus Audio Books, so, it's not even titled well for a friendly search The suggestions have guided me to some incredible listening though. I do really like McGann, and I like what I've heard of C. Baker.

Old October 3 2012, 04:21 AM   #84
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

So, Finished The Reckoning, I really enjoyed it. Peri's characterization via the apparent difficulty for Nicola to find her voice, threw me off a but, and made it tough to follow who was where in the heavy Action scenes about 2/3 of the way through, so, that'll make this one a perfect target for a re-listen.

About 3/4 of the way through with The Marian Conspiracy, and enjoying Evelyn immensely, I do plan to return to her Adventures once I get through my next adventure which I believe will be Harry Potter Books 1 -7.

So, in the next few weeks to months, post Evelyn/Six stories for me to get, or post the chronology, which would probably be better?

Old October 3 2012, 07:14 AM   #85
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

There's a list of Evelyn audios at her Wikipedia page; they're released in chronological order with the exceptions of Thicker than Water and A Death in the Family, both of which take place after her travels with the Doctor have ended. You can listen to those two, in the order I've mentioned them, at any point after Arrangements for War, although A Death in the Family also follows on from Project: Destiny, a seventh Doctor audio that itself follows on from Project: Twilight and Project: Lazarus. But don't worry too much about this timeline stuff; most of the Evelyn stories are standalone.

I like Evelyn as a character, but the stories in which she's appeared haven't often been standouts to my mind. Jubilee is brilliant, but none of the others I've heard have really impressed me. Doctor Who and the Pirates is pretty well-liked, though (the third episode is a musical), as are Arrangements for War and Thicker than Water. I do have a soft spot for 100, but it's not going to be to everyone's taste.
Old October 3 2012, 02:42 PM   #86
OmahaStar

enjoying Evelyn immensely
I thought you'd like her. As I've said before, she was, in many ways, the genesis of Donna. She is an older woman - compared with the girls who usually travel with the Doctor - with life experience. She's not interested in anything romantic. She's there as a friend, and as someone who is every bit as wise as the Doctor. She has her own opinions on how things should be, and is never afraid to speak up when she thinks something is amiss.

She was cool before it was cool to be cool.
Old October 3 2012, 10:52 PM   #87
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well I've caught up with all the 6th Doctor adventures I have, and have started in on the 8th Doctor stories.
I have to admit I skipped over the whole alternate universe Eight adventures. To be honest, that sort of messing with the universe just doesn't appeal to me. I really just like old fashioned type adventures if that makes any sense. So when they writers try to twist the characters, or get experimental I usually tune out. I just skipped out halfway through Terror Firma for just that reason. The way the story jumped from one scne to another just got annoying. So I guess its on to the next one.

Eh, not like it's always easy for someone else to find the thread, it's kind of old, and drifts off the first page, and at the time I started the thread, I wasn't familiar with the Concept of Audio Plays versus Audio Books, so, it's not even titled well for a friendly search The suggestions have guided me to some incredible listening though. I do really like McGann, and I like what I've heard of C. Baker.
Yeah, the thread title is what got me. When I think Audio Book, I think of a recording of someone reading an actual book. And to be honest, having read a fair number of old Target books, and one New Adventures title, I've never been a fan of DW fiction.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old October 7 2012, 11:04 PM   #88
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I haven't listened to a lot of Peter Davison's stories, but I definitely reccomend SINGULARITY. Featuring Turlough as the companion, its set in near future Moscow and features some quite interesting alien opponents. And its a good old fashioned time travel story. None of this bloody 'alternate universe' stuff that honestly gives me a damn headache.

Theres some possible conflict with the tv episode Utopia, but some quick speculation on the listeners part should fix that.

Two thumbs way up.
Old October 8 2012, 12:59 AM   #89
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Cutter John wrote: View Post
I haven't listened to a lot of Peter Davison's stories, but I definitely reccomend SINGULARITY. Featuring Turlough as the companion, its set in near future Moscow and features some quite interesting alien opponents. And its a good old fashioned time travel story. None of this bloody 'alternate universe' stuff that honestly gives me a damn headache.

Theres some possible conflict with the tv episode Utopia, but some quick speculation on the listeners part should fix that.

Two thumbs way up.
Thanks, although I loved Spare Parts, at times, I wasn't sure I enjoyed Davison on Audio as the Doctor as much as televised. I do want to become more accustomed to his Audio Performance so I definitely want more stellar stories to become accustomed to him.

Old October 8 2012, 11:11 PM   #90
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Just finished another Davison story, Son of the Dragon. This one is a rare historical adventure featuring Peri at her whiniest, and a new female companion. This time they're dropped into the middle of the 15th century war between the invading Turks, and the historical Prince Vlad Ţepeș (Dracula). More good drama here, along with great performances by the regulars, and a brilliant music score. It really brings back memories of other great historical epics like Marco Polo and The Crusades.

Also highly reccomended.