Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 12 2012, 08:52 PM   #76
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: Orci says ST series talk "getting real"

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And even if CBS ascribes to the glut theory of Star Trek (has anyone ever officially said they believe that?), the glut has long since dissapated away. It's more of a starvation situation now.
What rock are you living under? I have access to seven-hundred hours of Trek at my fingertips.

If there is a new live-action Trek, my money is that it'll be on CBS. Trek has proven time and again that a wide range of age groups watch it. Why eliminate potential viewers by turning Trek into something it's not?
Old September 12 2012, 10:45 PM   #77
Ryan8bit
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
Sure it makes sense. They won't want remastered Trek competing with new Trek for syndication, streaming and home video dollars.
Just speaking for myself, I really don't give a shit about these remastered shows, and find them rather pointless. However, if a new series came along, I would certainly watch it. And if I enjoyed it, I would buy DVDs and other merchandise.

I'm not sure if that's how the majority feels, but I'm guessing that these remastered series are pretty niche.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2012, 11:42 PM   #78
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Sure it makes sense. They won't want remastered Trek competing with new Trek for syndication, streaming and home video dollars.
Just speaking for myself, I really don't give a shit about these remastered shows, and find them rather pointless. However, if a new series came along, I would certainly watch it. And if I enjoyed it, I would buy DVDs and other merchandise.

I'm not sure if that's how the majority feels, but I'm guessing that these remastered series are pretty niche.
TNG season one apparently sold very well, even without a standard DVD release done.
Old September 18 2012, 07:45 PM   #79
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
And even if CBS ascribes to the glut theory of Star Trek (has anyone ever officially said they believe that?), the glut has long since dissapated away. It's more of a starvation situation now.
What rock are you living under? I have access to seven-hundred hours of Trek at my fingertips.

If there is a new live-action Trek, my money is that it'll be on CBS. Trek has proven time and again that a wide range of age groups watch it. Why eliminate potential viewers by turning Trek into something it's not?
I'm living under the I-want-to-watch-something-NEW rock that I've always live under. I do have TOS and DS9 queued up on Netflix streaming right now, as well as Lost and Farscape. But I can't motivate myself to watch any of them yet, because I have an extremely strong preference for new stuff and only rarely will rewarch anything I've already seen. After the first time, 90% of the fun is gone.

Shows are not made for "all age groups." They are made for the groups that ads are sold for, usually the 18-49 demo. The trend in TV is to be even more targetted, and networks will always prefer to program for their own audience, since they are by far the easiest to market new shows to.

CBS doesn't make anything close to a full range of show types. Look at what the other networks are developing and compare it to CBS. CBS has the most boring-ass development of any network, nothing but cop shows and sitcoms. NBC may fall on its face all the time, but at least its willing to branch out occasionally with something like Smash. Even Revolution would be too out there for CBS.

Add to that the much higher standards CBS has for success. Any show that gets much under 10m audience is a failure on CBS, but a hit on NBC. With ENT getting 3-4m or so, even if it were 3x as popular, it would still be skating on thin ice on CBS. What is the point of reviving the franchise just to put it someplace where it probably can't survive regardless of how good it is?

The last thing we need is another failure on TV. I want a new show to be given the most favorable environment possible. CBS is poison. But 3-4m on cable could be a perfectly comfortable level of success. Netflix's expectations are hard to judge since they've just started doing original content but it's probably similar to other subscription based services.

If NBC or FOX held the rights to Star Trek, I'd leave open some hope of a return to broadcast. NBC is desperate for anything and FOX has a young male demo skew that is right for the franchise. But CBS couldn't be more wrong.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:57 AM   #80
mos6507
Captain

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I don't believe we'll ever see a "TV-MA" Trek series.

In fact, I really believe the next Trek series will be an animated one aimed at kids myself with a toyline and other related merchandise fully behind it.
Personally, I'd like to see an Adult Swim treatment (animated, low-fi, and edgy) but then that's what I'm trying to do myself anyway.
Old October 8 2012, 03:59 PM   #81
Ryan8bit
Commodore

I'm just deleting this so nobody gets their hopes up since it was wrong.

Last edited by Ryan8bit; October 8 2012 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Misread the info
Old October 8 2012, 07:28 PM   #82
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

According to Orci at trekmovie, he said:

"we have one last [prayer] of selling it. Waiting to hear. Thanks for asking."

I wonder if we'd hear it if they don't sell it.
In such situations when someone's trying to sell something to a studio or network, there's generally the "don't call us, we'll call you" response. If the studio/network takes a pass, word of it often comes when the studio/network officially approves another proposal by someone else (I think--although I'm not 100% positive--Roddenberry experienced this when he first pitched TOS to CBS in 1964, but heard that they were going to develop another series called Lost In Space instead).
Old October 8 2012, 09:02 PM   #83
thumbtack
Commodore

Go back and read it again. He's referring to Shadow Cabinet not Star Trek, which hasn't even been formally pitched yet.
Old October 8 2012, 09:36 PM   #84
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I'm in agreement with those who believe a Series Fate is tied to the next movie. If the next movie does well, CBS is likely to listen to a pitch, and if they like it, they'll move forward to prepare the Series to hit right after the release of the third movie

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 11:25 PM   #85
Ryan8bit
Commodore

thumbtack wrote: View Post

Go back and read it again. He's referring to Shadow Cabinet not Star Trek, which hasn't even been formally pitched yet.
Oops, my bad.
Old October 9 2012, 01:06 AM   #86
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post

Phew! you guys scared me. Whatever it was that had one last prayer and then nothing further heard about it, that's a dead dog.

I'd be surprised if CBS makes a decision before seeing how the next movie does at least, even assuming Orci does a pitch before then. He'd probably want another success in his pocket before going to CBS.

I'm extremely curious what tactic he'll take. Two successful movies doesn't guarantee TV success, it just means he won't get the door slammed in his face.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote