RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,677
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 560
Newest member: ragster

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old October 8 2012, 09:04 AM   #1
FreddyE
Commander

Doctor Who style Trek?

How about a "Doctor Who" style Star Trek? I´m not talking a time lord as Captain or something like that (although that would be kinda cool)...but Who´s approach of a more flexible cast of main characters. I really like it how pretty much nobody is save...people come and go all the time.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Doctor Who style Trek?

A rotating cast would certainly be more realistic than having the same crew together for seven years.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:28 AM   #3
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I like the flexibility of the cast idea. Not sure about the time travel though. It's alright in small doses, but not sure about a full Trek show about it.
Old October 8 2012, 01:21 PM   #4
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

I've always been in favour of the ER, CSI, professionals doing a job and that was their place of work for a while approach. They get transferred, or leave the service in variety of ways.

TNG could've been that, had either Picard stayed assimilated or Riker accepted either of the Captaincies that came his way. In a sense, there was promise early on when they took the step of killing off Tasha Yar and allowed a change of ship's Doctor the following year.

If the series lasts, they can always ask the original lead actor back for the final episode. Either back as their character, or as an alien... under make-up, to honour the part they played in making the show a success in the first place.

I also think the principle cast could be streamlined down to four or five, with others that come and go. Since those Travis Mayweather & Harry Kim guys don't get a fair share of the action across their runs anyway. Better not to sign them up for seven years and have that option of releasing the actor, if the character is neglected.

Even those moderately interesting, through their friendship with another character, like say a Malcolm Reed or a Pavel Chekov could do with having the option of going out in a blaze of glory.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; October 8 2012 at 01:32 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 01:50 PM   #5
LtChange
Commander

As long as they don't take the LOST way and kill of main characters just to bring in front new characters. I can dig promotions and transfers, I think it would be something normal, because if somebody isn't promoted in 7 years professionally that shows some problems ... So yeah, I wouldn't mind, the only thing is to do it in a normal way.
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 02:23 PM   #6
FreddyE
Commander

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
Since those Travis Mayweather & Harry Kim guys don't get a fair share of the action across their runs anyway. Better not to sign them up for seven years and have that option of releasing the actor, if the character is neglected.
Or if a character arrives at a point where he can´t possibly develop any further without becoming stale or boring.

Not bringing Picard back after assimilation, promoting Riker and keeping Shelby would have been a very interesting change to the dynamic IMHO.

Russel T Davies would be great "at the helm" of a new trek series IMHO.
FreddyE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 03:11 PM   #7
22 Stars
Commodore

I like the idea of a Trek done in a more naturalistic style, more like BSG and I suppose DW.

But Dr. Who as Trek is called ASSIGNMENT: EARTH. Gary Seven is the Doctor, and Teri Garr is his companion. The pilot didn't sell.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If it ends up on Showtime, it would no doubt be more "natural" if by that you mean, without the broadcast imposed style of being sanitized and limited in the emotional impact of events (episodic style) because that is contrary to what the premium cable audience expects, even in genre shows.

Having the show be Earth based would destroy a key feature of Star Trek, that it's different from the zillion sci fi series set on modern day Earth. The basic Gary Seven concept is very familiar on TV today, but I want a show based in space.

Rotating the characters would be good, since as has been mentioned many times, it's realistic for the military anyway.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 01:46 AM   #9
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

A 3-6 six episode DTI miniseries could work if its done well.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 02:23 PM   #10
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I've been actually been thinking that it would be cool to have a captain that's kind of "Doctor-ish" in personality. Maybe two or three characters are with him for the long haul, but others come and go...
Old October 9 2012, 07:07 PM   #11
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

All the characters should come and go, that's what makes it realistic for the military. The lead character shouldn't be magically immune from being transferred or killed. I like the idea of a big cast of characters in which many characters are important but any could be killed without warning and without following the expected rules of TV, a la Game of Thrones.

Alterntatively, you could have a show that follows one character through all their transfers, regardless of what ship they are assigned to. It would be the most interesting if this character was someone other than an obvious lead character type like a ship's captain. How about someone without particular power within the Starfleet command structure - an outsider like Quark, a Romulan spy, a Harry Mudd type rogue who keeps having run-ins with Starfleet?
Old October 9 2012, 07:38 PM   #12
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
All the characters should come and go, that's what makes it realistic for the military.
But Starfleet isn't a...
Old October 9 2012, 10:16 PM   #13
LobsterAfternoon
Commander

I dunno if I'd call the approach you describe as "Doctor Who" style, but I'd like to see it regardless. It's probably closest to Battlestar, where characters got promoted/transferred/mustered out, but still had roles on the show. Someone like Picard could've easily left Starfleet and become an Ambassador (as shown in the Star Trek: Countdown mini) and still have an occasional role on a Trek show.
LobsterAfternoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

But with Doctor Who you have the anchor character of the Doctor. Sure he's played by different actors, but he's still the Doctor. And by him being the Doctor you can revisit past characters and settings and play off those relationships.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2012, 12:56 AM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Temis the Friendly Ghost wrote: View Post
All the characters should come and go, that's what makes it realistic for the military.
But Starfleet isn't a...
Don't start that!

Zombie Cheerleader wrote: View Post
But with Doctor Who you have the anchor character of the Doctor. Sure he's played by different actors, but he's still the Doctor. And by him being the Doctor you can revisit past characters and settings and play off those relationships.
That's what I don't want, I want a large cast where you can't really tell who the lead character is and nobody is safe. Make it dangerous and unpredictable! The characters are supposed to be in a risky profession, the show should deal with that honestly for a change.

Star Trek doesn't need an anchor character because Starfleet is the anchor character. That's why there could be several series which have all-new characters and no or only minor overlap. But Star Trek without Starfleet is hard to envision.