Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 24 2012, 05:46 AM   #46
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: Hell on Wheels Season 2 *SPOILERS*

I finally looked up Anson Mount on imdb. This is pretty much his breakout role. With a clean shave and haircut he looks about 20 years younger. You wouldn't recognize him on the street.
Old September 24 2012, 01:09 PM   #47
Anwar
Vice Admiral

He's come pretty far from being Brittany Spears' pretty boy in "Crossroads".
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 04:57 AM   #48
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Well, it seems MRS. Durant is a better boss than her husband. Or, at least, a smarter one. But what will happen to Lily? They seem determined to get rid of her, for more reasons than one.

Trouble brews between the McGinness brothers. Mickey is turning into quite the useless drunk, while Sean pines for the wrong woman.

Speaking of the wrong woman, who will Eva end up with? Assuming she survives, that is?

And what exactly was Mr. Ferguson hired to do? Take over Bohannon's job? And will The Swede ever get what's coming to him?

With any luck, at least ONE of these plotlines will get resolved in next week's two-hour season finale.
Old October 1 2012, 02:50 PM   #49
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I missed a lot of the episode to watch the 2010 Upstairs, Downstairs series on PBS but caught some bit.

I'm surprised Durant was affected by Elam's spiel in his office. You'd think he'd just kill him as an insolent ex-slave, but he almost seemed to show respect to the guy.
Old October 1 2012, 02:58 PM   #50
Mister Fandango
Fleet Captain

Despite what some people may want everyone to believe, it's actually really difficult for people with modern sensibilities to think (and therefore write) like people did during those times. The genuine belief that people of a different race were little better than beasts of burden is nearly impossible to comprehend. Sure, you can find a lot of people who are still deeply racist, but by and large most people just can't wrap their head around that mindset. Not really.

Sure, calling someone a derogative term and getting faux angry about them drinking in the same tent as you is easy enough. But even the single most racist person in the show, within only a matter of months, has largely turned around. If that's proof that the writers don't truly understand how indoctrinated those beliefs were, I don't know what does.

And the fact that the majority of the audience has gone along with it, too, demonstrates it even more.
Mister Fandango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 03:19 PM   #51
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ That's what I loved about Deadwood - it was unapologetic in its use of period colloquialisms and never strayed from beginning to end. Like it or not, it remained true to its source material. Fluffing up a show meant to be a similarly-formatted historical drama to appeal to modern sensibilities is a quick road to failure, IMHO.
Old October 2 2012, 03:58 PM   #52
Anwar
Vice Admiral

With Elam it's somewhat justified: He seems to be Bohannon's friend and it's widely known he works for Durant. Everyone fears Bohannon (and they know he's saved him at least once) and no one wants to anger Durant.

Both those things would be enough to protect Elam. But he's letting it get to his head and doesn't realize how nominal his power is.

HoW isn't about the founding of a true Frontier town like Deadwood was. It's not going to deal with all the social norms of the time like DW did nor does it try to.

That said, it is trying to portray the Wild West as a more Grey place than usually thought up (even the Indians aren't just rampaging Boogeymen).
Old October 2 2012, 04:34 PM   #53
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Shows about history are never accurate, nor can they be. Hell on Wheels has basically been an explicit fable about America's metling pot right from the start, so you'd expect the racist attitudes to change in front of us: that's what the show is trying to demonstrate, the old myth that opening the west - a shared task - helped to forge a single nation out of disparate racial parts. The story they're telling has no interest in a depiction of actual, unchangeable racist indoctrination: it's an allegory for two hundred years of changing attitudes compressed into a post-Civil War setting.
Old October 8 2012, 03:49 AM   #54
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Wow, they're going all out with this finale aren't they? Afraid of cancellation or something?
Old October 8 2012, 05:39 AM   #55
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

WOW. Well, we'll have a LOT of new cast members next season, won't we?

That was one brutal season finale, but I didn't expect some of the deaths. I sure didn't expect
but I was surprised that
Old October 16 2012, 06:34 AM   #56
Immolatus
Captain

antichristhill wrote: View Post
WOW. Well, we'll have a LOT of new cast members next season, won't we?

That was one brutal season finale, but I didn't expect some of the deaths. I sure didn't expect
but I was surprised that

I was kinda shocked myself
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 01:54 AM   #57
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 02:09 AM   #58
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Opinions, everybody's got'em.
Old October 18 2012, 05:10 AM   #59
Immolatus
Captain

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post

agreed.
Beware the beast man for he is the Devils pawn. Alone among Gods primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Let him not breed in great numbers for he will make a desert of his home & yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.
Immolatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2012, 04:03 PM   #60
Anwar
Vice Admiral

What, can't anyone take a "Bad Guy Wins" scenario anymore?