Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old October 7 2012, 03:16 AM   #31
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Dyson Sphere

Trannie~sylvania wrote: View Post
It was the Jenolan's shields doing the actual blocking open wasn't it?
Regardless, the door was big enough to accommodate both the Jenolan holding the door open and the Enterprise flying through.

Look at it this way, the Enterprise is 1500 feet wide at the saucer and around 450 feet thick. The Jenolan is only a few decks thick but even with shields on couldn't be more than twice that, so we'll be very generous and say that with shields on the Jenolan is 100-feet thick. We'll say it was dead center in the door.

So we have a massive door with a 100-foot tall ship in the middle of it.

Since the CONN officer had to roll the Enterprise 90-degrees to get out the door as it closed, the Jenolan's length with shields on must be wide enough to accommodate the Enterprise 's width. (1500 feet.)

Does it seem likely there's less than 450 feet of space between the top and bottom of the Jenolan's shield bubble as it holds the foor open? Does it even seem likely it's less than the 1500 feet of the ship's width if it had rolled on it's side to escape above or below the Jenolan. Given the absolute size of the Dyson sphere does it make sense it'd have a door that's less than 450 feet wide?

Even when we see the Enterprise pulled into the sphere it seems like there's more than an enough room to accommodate both the Jenolan (and it's shield bubble) and the Enterprise.

That door is MASSIVE. I think the Enterprise could have gotten out without needing to destroy the Jenolan.

Last edited by Trekker4747; October 7 2012 at 03:34 AM.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:40 PM   #32
Forbin
Admiral

Look at the Jenolan model, particularly the windows. It's way more than a few decks thick. If those are Constitution class nacelles (and they are) and a Constitution-class bridge (and it is), the Jenolan is a pretty darn big ship. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so small.

Here's a 1/1000 scale Jenolan model next to a 1/1000 scale Conny model:

Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:48 PM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Everyone thinks it's small because it's the near enough the same model of the executive shuttle with a pair of warp nacelles glued on.

Old October 7 2012, 05:03 PM   #34
Mojochi
Commodore

Given the brevity of the door remaining open, the Enterprise would have to of been charging at the door prior to Scotty and Geordi opening it. If they had timed it wrong, the Enterprise could conceivably have collided with the closed (or never opened) door.

Better the way they ended up doing things.

Besides would the Jenolan have been worth the time and energy of being towed to where ever for repairs? It was a century old and badly damaged.

When they opened the door, it actually spent time with the door open, while the tractor beam scanned the area for a ship, long enough that Geordi actually said "C'mon there's nobody out here" or the like

My point being. You open the door, making it possible to hail the Ent-D, & tell them you can open the door for them. Give them a few minutes to rendezvous at the door. Open the door again, wait for the tractor beam to cut off, & leave while the door is closing, from its fully opened state, which is pretty much what they did anyway, except that they had to destroy the Jenolan to do it & escape through the narrower passage

Ent-D rescued, Jenolan salvaged, & no one recklessly put in harm's way. It would have at least been nice for them to do what Timo said & throw us a bone about why a plan like that wouldn't work. Even Timo's idea is a bit thin. How would they know the door would have some kind of AI that prevented them from a second attempt, until they'd tried it? in which case it would be too late, or they'd have to wait until they could get through again

Two different unknown vessels triggered that door easily. You'd have to assume security measures are not a big issue for these people, & that opening the door is no difficult accomplishment

Great episode... silly ending. Wrote themselves into a corner, & wanted an exciting ending, & had to flub it. Maybe the Ent-D doesn't tow it away, but Jenolan is still worth salvaging for material, the final arrangements of the dead or even the possibility of saving the starship
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 06:59 PM   #35
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I didn't realize the Jenolan was so big. I thought it was basically like a runabout.
Old October 7 2012, 07:03 PM   #36
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Circus Peanut wrote: View Post
It was the Jenolan's shields doing the actual blocking open ...
Regardless, the door was big enough to accommodate both the Jenolan holding the door open and the Enterprise flying through.
The Enterprise would have run into the Jenolan's shield bubble if they did what you're suggesting.

The Jenolan's shield bubble was in contact with the doors themselves, there was no opening for the Enterprise to fly through.

Mojochi wrote: View Post
Given the brevity of the door remaining open ...
When they opened the door, it actually spent time with the door open, while the tractor beam scanned the area for a ship, long enough that Geordi actually said "C'mon there's nobody out here" or the like
You're missing something.

The Enterprise would not have been able to exit through the doorway while the tractor beams were active, the beams simply would have grabbed the ship again and pulled the ship back inside. The Enterprise's window of opportunity to escape was between the tractor beams cutting off, and the doors closing to the point the ship would no longer fit through.

A dozen or so seconds.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 08:30 PM   #37
Timo
Admiral

Why should we think that the door would be some sort of an evil starship-trap? The tractor beams are there supposedly in order to help starships get in; it would only stand to reason that there would be similar beams on the inside, bending over backward for a chance to help any approaching ship get out.

Neither set of heroes ever voices out a rationale for why the door would not simply acknowledge the approach of the E-D and help her out, with a polite bow and all. There's no mention of trying to open a door from the inside, let alone of trying and failing. Scotty and LaForge just jump to conclusions and quite possibly needlessly expend a starship and two photon torpedoes.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 03:02 AM   #38
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
Look at the Jenolan model, particularly the windows. It's way more than a few decks thick. If those are Constitution class nacelles (and they are) and a Constitution-class bridge (and it is), the Jenolan is a pretty darn big ship. I don't know why everyone thinks it's so small.

Here's a 1/1000 scale Jenolan model next to a 1/1000 scale Conny model:

Acknowledged, then. The Jenolan struck me as having been "smaller" given that it was a transport ship rather than a starship. I wouldn't have figured it to be much bigger than a Defiant class.

Still, the door is damn huge a certainly could have accommodated bith the Jenolan jamming the door and the Enterprise flying through. And, yeah, I don't recall there being any discussion of trying to open the door from the inside, certainly that'd be possible as well.
Old October 9 2012, 06:28 AM   #39
Finn
Vice Admiral

No. 47 sign you are taking it too seriously: you actually take the time to create a diagram with measurements from a screenshot to prove a plot detail irrelevant to the whole idea of the given episode.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 07:22 AM   #40
MikeS
Fleet Captain

Mojochi wrote: View Post
How would they know the door would have some kind of AI that prevented them from a second attempt, until they'd tried it? in which case it would be too late, or they'd have to wait until they could get through again
I think you answered your own question - "Why take the chance?"
Old October 9 2012, 07:25 AM   #41
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
No. 47 sign you are taking it too seriously: you actually take the time to create a diagram with measurements from a screenshot to prove a plot detail irrelevant to the whole idea of the given episode.
Did the poster do something to offend you that made you make a rude post like that, or do you just randomly do this for fun?
Old October 9 2012, 08:08 AM   #42
Finn
Vice Admiral

you are missing my point...

Besides, this is far from the rudest post on the TrekBBS.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 09:11 AM   #43
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Still rude though - and this is the TREK BBS for goodness sake, analysing the series is what we do here!
Mytran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2012, 02:03 PM   #44
Mutai Sho-Rin

The thing from the Bayou wrote: View Post
<snip>
This isn't flaming or trolling but it is close and it is just unnecessary. Your defense of your rudeness is also unnecessary. You owe the OP an apology.
Old October 9 2012, 04:45 PM   #45
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Meh, I do think I require one, I took it as a bit of humor.