To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Battlestar Galactica & Caprica

Battlestar Galactica & Caprica This forum was created by man. It rebelled. It evolved. And it has a plan.

Old October 7 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars"

Sorry, if this has been posted before, but I just finished reading Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan and I found some astonishing parallels to nuBSG's series finale.

The basic premise of the novel is this: Homo sapiens originally hailed from a planet called Minerva, located between Mars and Jupiter. 50,000 years ago, Minerva was destroyed in a nuclear war and the few survivors of this holocaust managed to get to Earth. There, they quickly replaced the Neanderthals as the dominant species on the planet.

In the epilogue of the novel an archeological expedition in Africa finds some bones from the original "Minervans". They also dig up the remains of an ancient electronic device which leads the head of the expedition to conclude that it must be some kind of hoax.

Seems to me that Ronald D. Moore was "aware" of that book.
Old October 7 2012, 12:37 PM   #2
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Re: James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars"

Tenuous similarity at best, more likely coincidence than awareness.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old October 7 2012, 12:46 PM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Gov Karnstein wrote: View Post
Depends on how you define "tenuous".

"The survivors of a nuclear holocaust from a another planet land on Earth 50,000 years ago and become our ancestors" isn't exactly what I'd call "tenuous similarity".
Old October 7 2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Very thin, much like that vague description. Unless you frame the descriptions as thinly as you have, Inherit the Stars and the book's sequels, have nothing in common with BSG, new or old.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Old October 7 2012, 01:38 PM   #5
stj
Rear Admiral

That premise in the new BattleStar Galactica came from the old BattleStar Galactica, not Hogan. Possibly Hogan got the idea from the old BattleStar Galactica but it could also have come from old short stories where a man and woman astronaut turned out to be Adam and Eve.

These are legendarily bad, and I can't quite recall personally reading any. I do seem to have some vague notion of a TV episode on something somewhere in antediluvian times (akak my youth.)

But their ill fame was so great that Alfred Bester wrote a very famous short story of his own titled something like "Adam with No Eve." A single astronaut returns to an Earth reduced to a cinder and laments as I recall that he can't live out one of those stories. The punch line is that his decaying body restores bacterial life to Earth, leading again to the process of evolution of multicellular life forms and eventually intelligence. Alfred Bester's SF floruit was the Fifties and Sixties! It was a return to writing when he published in the Seventies.

Trust me, Moore didn't have to read Hogan.
Old October 7 2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, that whole "Life here began out there" meme was quite common in SF of the '50s, '60s,and '70s, not to mention UFO/ancient-astronaut lore of the same era, which is where Glen Larson cribbed it from in the first place. It arguably has roots in ancient mythologies positing that humans were the descendants of earlier, superior races, like the Ancient Greek belief in the Seven Ages of Man. There's probably some basis in reality for those myths as well, since there have been various times in history when fairly advanced permanent settlements, cities, and civilizations have gone into decline due to shifting climates, disease, or war and their peoples have migrated elsewhere and resumed simpler lives, their descendants retaining lore of more advanced forebears. So, like just about everything you can find in fiction, it's an idea that has roots going back throughout the history of human experience.

The "surviving nuclear holocaust" theme was also common in fiction during the Cold War, for reasons that should be self-evident. And it's natural enough to combine that with the other trope. Heck, there was a Twilight Zone episode in the early '60s in which two astronauts who'd fled a destroyed world and settled a new one turned out be named Adam and Eve -- and that story was already a cliche even then, as stj indicates.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Old October 7 2012, 04:54 PM   #7
stj
Rear Admiral

^^^Yes! Twilight Zone. Thank you.
Old October 8 2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post

"The survivors of a nuclear holocaust from a another planet land on Earth 50,000 years ago and become our ancestors" isn't exactly what I'd call "tenuous similarity".
No, it's not even significant enough to call "tenuous." It's neither original to that novel nor a particularly obscure skiffy premise, so your point fails.

Here's another one you may not have heard: "Two people survive the nuclear war, one man and one woman. Their names: Adam and Eve."

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old October 8 2012, 04:30 AM   #9
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post

No, it's not even significant enough to call "tenuous." It's neither original to that novel nor a particularly obscure skiffy premise, so your point fails.

Here's another one you may not have heard: "Two people survive the nuclear war, one man and one woman. Their names: Adam and Eve."

Lather, rinse, repeat.
I like the version where their names are Kryp and Ton.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old October 8 2012, 03:44 PM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Like the previous posts said, this idea of "ancient astronauts" coming to Earth is nowhere near original. BSG may be the most famous incarnation of it, but it was certainly not the first.
My blog
Old October 15 2012, 02:19 AM   #11
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Inherit the Stars by James P. Hogan
I really enjoyed the novel.

Old October 17 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
E-DUB
Captain

The Twilight Zone episode starred Charles Bronson and an young, very hot, Elizabeth Montgomery.
Old October 27 2012, 03:49 AM   #13
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

That's an excellent novel.

It has some not-excellent sequels.