Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 10 2012, 01:31 PM   #1
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Entourage

So I recently sat down and watched the entire run of Entourage (took me about two weeks) and I have to say I enjoyed the show.

I also have the say one of the reasons I enjoyed the show was I had access to the entire series so I could watch as many or as little back to back as I wanted.

Being that the shows were only 1/2 long and the seasons were so short I would have never stuck with it over the 8 years that it ran, IMO they did not pack enough content into the 1/2 hour, shows like Weeds and Californication do, they always feel longer than a 1/2 hour.

Also what was up with the 8 episode last season?
Although it ended pretty well the ending felt very rushed.

Speaking of endings,
PKerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Entourage

I saw the first four episodes when the show started, but didn't stick with it. I plan to sit down and watch the entire series when I can though. From what little I've heard, it does sound like a good show with some interesting developments.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:14 PM   #3
PKerr
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I saw the first four episodes when the show started, but didn't stick with it. I plan to sit down and watch the entire series when I can though. From what little I've heard, it does sound like a good show with some interesting developments.
Yeah that is what I was saying, I would have never stuck with the show from the beginning, it started off slow, it had 1/2 episodes and it only had 8 episodes it's first season.
TBH I'm amazed it made it back for a second season, I guess that is the benefit from the network (HBO) owning the show, if it had aired on regular T.V. I doubt it would have ever made it.
Old August 10 2012, 03:22 PM   #4
SteveJRogers
Captain

If you don't take it too seriously, and just watch it for what it was, a purely fantastical look at Hollywood, then it is a fine piece of escapism popcorn entertainment.

Some of it was pretty much true to life, but most of the time it did seem like someone's fantasy about how Hollywood works and how actors careers go.

As for the way it ended, it clearly was designed to set up a "franchise" onto the big screen if you will, the way Sex In The City did.
SteveJRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 06:06 PM   #5
PKerr
Rear Admiral

SteveJRogers wrote: View Post
If you don't take it too seriously, and just watch it for what it was, a purely fantastical look at Hollywood, then it is a fine piece of escapism popcorn entertainment.

Some of it was pretty much true to life, but most of the time it did seem like someone's fantasy about how Hollywood works and how actors careers go.

As for the way it ended, it clearly was designed to set up a "franchise" onto the big screen if you will, the way Sex In The City did.
The big screen really? I hadn't thought of that, TBH I wouldn't go and see it even though I enjoyed the show.
Old August 12 2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Mr Light
Admiral

I initially didn't like the show, but once they got to Aquaman (season two?) I started to really enjoy it. They're still douchebags, but it was an interesting story and often pretty funny.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 02:34 PM   #7
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I have enjoyed the first half of the show, the latter seasons kind of sucked...also Vince is one of my least liked characters on television. Ari is my favourite character, followed by Eric.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 05:47 PM   #8
the G-man
Commodore

SteveJRogers wrote: View Post
....until the whole "drug addiction" plotline in later seasons.

Some of it was pretty much true to life...
Considering one of the producers was Mark Wahlberg and it was loosely based on his rise to fame, not surprising.

...but most of the time it did seem like someone's fantasy about how Hollywood works and how actors careers go.
Indeed...as depicted here

the G-man wrote: View Post
How Entourage should have ended: Vince's career tanked. Ari finally realized that the biggest agent in Hollywood had more important (and lucrative) clients to deal with than a washed up pretty boy with a self indulgent streak. Drama's cartoon lasted three episodes.

Lloyd, now managing both brothers, gets Vince and Drama a reality show: "Keeping up with the Chases." The ending of the series is a reality show version of the "Entourage" opening, with Vince and Drama riding in the convertable, only it's broad daylight and there are wacky interspersed bits of Turtle's restaurant, Billy directing a movie, Lloyd's agency and the dog where the neon used to be. No Ari. The final shot, over the "oh yeah" of the theme song are fake credits that say "Produced by Eric "E" Murphy and Ryan Secrest." Fade to black and the actual credits for the series.

It would leave the door open for a movie (the Chase Brothers getting back on top) but also satirize modern Hollywood, the celebrity culture and the reality show trend.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2012, 09:21 PM   #9
the G-man
Commodore

I happened to rewatch a couple of fifth season episodes the other night. It was right after Medillean bombed. Vince had just come back from Mexico, couldn't a role, was nearly broke, and had to do personal appearances to keep from filing bankruptcy. Ari took him to task for, basically, having a shitty work ethic and not "playing the game" to stay a star.

It got me thinking. Who in real life is the closest to Vince pre-happy ending? By which, I mean an actor that started out well regarded, made it to the A list and then ruined/nearly ruined his career with a combination of ego and bad choices.

I was sort of thinking Nic Cage but I'm open to other suggestions.
Old October 6 2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

You mean right now?

Hell yeah i am not sure if we will even have an A list and who cares we got plenty of blockbusters coming out with washed up celebrities(Robert Downey Junior) or talalented newcomers (i mean people who never had central roles in blockbusters).
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 06:00 PM   #11
the G-man
Commodore

Downey? Washed up? Maybe ten or fifteen years ago it looked that way. But I'd say he's been on the way back since at least Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and definitely back on top since the first Iron Man.
Old October 6 2012, 06:42 PM   #12
EnderAKH
Captain

I think Shia Labeouf is on that road...

Allons-y!
EnderAKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 07:53 PM   #13
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

To where?
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:04 PM   #14
the G-man
Commodore

I think he means to being a real life Vincent Chase.
Old October 7 2012, 06:10 AM   #15
tighr
Commodore

the G-man wrote: View Post
It got me thinking. Who in real life is the closest to Vince pre-happy ending? By which, I mean an actor that started out well regarded, made it to the A list and then ruined/nearly ruined his career with a combination of ego and bad choices.
Lindsay Lohan. She was an "it" girl.

Amanda Bynes, too.