Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 5 2012, 06:03 PM   #46
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Re: So how do you ignore someone....

^Are you trying to say that there is a flaw in my plan?

Showdown wrote: View Post
Try sitting down and turning 20 degrees away from her. If she is sitting to your left and you are right handed, you can use your left arm to block your vision of her. Kind of like this.

Or like that?

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:05 PM   #47
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Not at all, except perhaps edible fortress or wall materials might not be the best idea.

Although now this has me picturing Caramelot and The Great Wall of Cheese.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:06 PM   #48
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

But...snacks!

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 06:30 PM   #49
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Thread = lulz.
Old October 5 2012, 07:23 PM   #50
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

"Their" seats? What did they do, urinate on the seats for scent marking purposes? Grow up already.
Old October 5 2012, 08:29 PM   #51
Scout101
Admiral

Kreacher wrote: View Post
Nick086 wrote: View Post
So how do you ignore someone that think your trying to copy or cheat off of them?
Nick086 wrote: View Post
...she hasn't said one word to me.
So how do you know that she thinks you're trying to cheat?
Presumably because he was trying to cheat off of her, and he's worried she noticed (shuffled papers, moved her arm over answers, etc). They don't speak, but he knows what she's thinking? Suspect it's more what he's AFRAID she's thinking...

That, or he was being a regular creeper instead of cheating, and when he got caught staring, he's worried she thought the wrong thing. And not like you can just say "I wasn't cheating off of you, I was just staring at you far more than is appropriate."
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:48 AM   #52
propita
Rear Admiral

Students get used to "their" seats, even in big rooms with lots of empty seats. Makes no sense...but...when I went back to school (as an"older adult" but I don't think a "trashy" one), we always went to the same seats in my geology class. In fact, we had a study group based on sitting at the same table. At the end of the semester, some students said they wished they had sat by us, since we seemed to be having fun, but didn't feel they could change seats and "take someone else's seat." So people DO go to "their" seats.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 01:51 PM   #53
Scout101
Admiral

Except that if you got there one day, and someone else was in 'your' seat, you'd just sit in another one near it, not throw a tantrum or ask them to move. It's college, not the 2nd grade...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:37 PM   #54
Australis
Writer

Arrive early, sit in a corner.

If someone hassles you and says "That's my seat", tell them they can have your old one.

If they continue to hassle you, scream at the top of your voice "DON'T LOOK AT ME! WHY ARE YOU ALL LOOKING AT ME?!!"

That usually works.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:02 AM   #55
propita
Rear Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Except that if you got there one day, and someone else was in 'your' seat, you'd just sit in another one near it, not throw a tantrum or ask them to move. It's college, not the 2nd grade...
True. But we're experienced with this, it's not all new to us. The OP sounds quite young, like first semester of college. At that age, many don't realize that it's not high school. That "bullying" is now assault and/or battery. That (generally) no one cares about their feelings because they're too busy getting on with their own lives. Hopefully, the OP will learn this quickly. Maybe this thread will help him. In a good way, not in a "beat him down til he bleeds" way.

Geez! Am I getting soft?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 03:07 AM   #56
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

And old. Happens to everyone.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 04:57 AM   #57
gturner
Admiral

One of my old housemates just returned to college to finish up his senior year in physics and could've found himself in an uncomfortable situation somewhat like that. He's a non-traditional student (age 30?) going to Eastern Kentucky Univ, where the physics department only has a little more than a half-dozen students per class, and he just found out that h'ed had a serious confrontation with one of the physics seniors (age 26, Iraq war vet) he'd have been sitting in class with.

It seems my housemate had a bad break-up with an ex-girlfriend and was going to punch out her new boyfriend (he later decked him in a bar), but she had one of her friends get this other physics major, who her friend claimed was a dangerous hit man, to intervene. So he an my housemate had a pretty intense little scene and my housemate stood his ground, being extremely belligerent.

Since then, the other student was arrested on multiple counts of murder, having partnered up with another Iraq war vet to go kill a guy who owed a local coke dealer $180,000. The guy's girlfriend and mother-of-two was at the guy's house, so they threw them both in a trunk, drove them into to boonies, and made them dig their own graves.

The physics major recorded the audio as the guy pleaded for his life and the life of his girlfriend. Then they shot her in the back of the head, cut the debtor's hands off (I suppose as proof), pulled out his gold teeth, and set him on fire, getting lots of nice screams for the iPhone. Then they dissolved the clothes in sulfuric acid, cut the bodies into little pieces, etc. One or both of them killed two more people in Berea, just to the south, and the physics major's partner had been running guns out of Chicago.

He got away with it for about a year, then the police were looking to pick him up so he sped to Louisville, where he turned on his iPhone just long enough for the police to get a ping off a cell-tower and swarm in.

So my housemate, who looks like a punk rocker and whose Facebook history is filled with references to drugs, says the teachers act a bit standoffish towards him, perhaps still shocked that the student they'd been teaching for three years was a hired assassin, so who else might be, or perhaps thinking that they've got another one in their class. The other students are a bit leery of him, too.

So last night he was asking me how he should handle it. I suggested that if they ask, admit he was in a serious, potentially deadly confrontation with the other student, but that it was over an ex-girlfriend, etc, and maybe the professors would open up to him a bit. It's quite possible they've already heard something about the previous confrontation from the ex-g/f's friends or other physics students, and are wondering if my ex-housemate is more violent and dangerous than the hit man was, because people gossip and exaggerate.

If nothing else, he could just whisper "If you cheat off me I will kill you and dump your body in a hole in the woods!"

BTW, the student's name was Daniel Keene.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/04/01/2...e-riddled.html
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:11 AM   #58
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

One of my old housemates just returned to college to finish up his senior year in physics and could've found himself in an uncomfortable situation somewhat like that.
No, nothing like that. The two situations aren't comparable.
Old October 7 2012, 05:15 AM   #59
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I think that may be the point.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:21 AM   #60
gturner
Admiral

Well, I mean if they hadn't caught on to the guy. They'd have probably been in a study group together, and he's almost certainly unethical enough to cheat.

Good thing he didn't finish his degree and maybe get a doctorate before this came to light, or we'd have someone worthy of the title "Dr. Evil."

ETA: BTW, this has got to be one of the more bizarre college stories in a while, one that really doesn't fit into much of a pattern (hazing, drunken fights, going postal, etc.) Somehow it's spookier.

Last edited by gturner; October 7 2012 at 05:31 AM.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote