Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 6 2012, 11:00 AM   #1081
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

I'm not surprised and I look forward to it. However, I'll be royally pissed if the DVD set gets shafted on extras in favor for Blu-Ray.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:13 PM   #1082
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, after the success they had with the LOTR EEs I'm not at all surprised.
Well, hm. The difference is that for LotR is was kind of a neccessity, but with the Hobbit it seems they are only doing it for the sake of doing it.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 01:24 PM   #1083
chrisspringob
Commodore

Have they announced approx. how long the theatrical cut of An Unexpected Journey is going to be?
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:57 AM   #1084
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I hope they keep the obnoxious fan club credits that make the film so long you want to kill yourself.
Old October 7 2012, 03:09 AM   #1085
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

Yes ... because, clearly, on the DVD and Blu-ray ... you HAVE to keep watching until the last note of the credits score has been played.

Damned Orwellian technology...
Old October 7 2012, 01:25 PM   #1086
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Evil Headhunter wrote: View Post
I'm not surprised and I look forward to it. However, I'll be royally pissed if the DVD set gets shafted on extras in favor for Blu-Ray.
That's totally gonna happen.
Wasn't it the FotR SEE that finally enabled DVDs to surpass videotapes in market sales?
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 07:50 PM   #1087
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Stephen Colbert to cameo in one of the movies. Not in An Unexpected Journey, though.

Apparently he's a big Tolkein fan.
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2012, 08:38 PM   #1088
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

As we get closer to the Hobbit I find my enthusiasm at an all-time low. I loved the first trilogy and I should be psyched to see this. But--

Well it just feels like it's more of the same. I remember when the studio released the first official still from Fellowship.. even simple shots of Gandalf and that would be it, they filled me with a kind of awe, that it was going to be a serious, gritty, and epic approach to a fantasy film. I wasn't disappointed (at least as far as the first film went) but now I know what to expect, and, as far as capturing the feeling of an epic fantasy, I can get that now by popping in my FOTR Blue-ray. In particular, the beginning of that film leaves some hints and warm feelings about the events of the Hobbit. Sure the Hobbit is a tgreat story, but I'm not sure why I can't get worked up over the adaptaiton. It might be because it's three films.. taking away the simplistic, whimsical and cildlike nature of the story. Also, it makes me sad that despite the increased frame rate and the 3-D I feel sad because this is still all been-there done-that territory for Jackson and that he's not challenging himself. With LOTR he was amkign an exquisite film where but the train never stopped and he was barely able to set the track in front of him as he left. But he really wanted it, the same way Lucas worked over time on Episode 4. Now they gave him a blank check and he's off!
Plus you know the Hobbit may be a good story but as far as it goes the film is still a prequel. Prequels, sequels and reboots are all that's out there. It's starting to become annoying that they'd spend - what over $300 million on a prequel trilogy...?
Old October 22 2012, 10:27 PM   #1089
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Chris3123 wrote: View Post
Stephen Colbert to cameo in one of the movies. Not in An Unexpected Journey, though.

Apparently he's a big Tolkien fan.
He is... back when he was still on the Daily Show, Elijah was doing the promo tour and came on the show. At one point Jon Stewart asked him a question about whether the Elvish he spoke in the clip was Sindarin or Quenya... Elijah started to answer and Jon said "Wait - that really meant something? I have no idea what that is, Colbert wrote that question."

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 01:39 PM   #1090
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Awesome that Colbert will be showing up in one of the films. Hopefully he'll get a few lines but won't stand out too much. Maybe bury him in a lot of make-up.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 05:08 PM   #1091
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Set Harth wrote: View Post
I hope they keep the obnoxious fan club credits that make the film so long you want to kill yourself.
I'm at a loss for words.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23 2012, 10:05 PM   #1092
Dart
Commodore

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
As we get closer to the Hobbit I find my enthusiasm at an all-time low. I loved the first trilogy and I should be psyched to see this. But--
I love the LOTR trilogy too. At the minute I think a 2.5 hour Hobbit would have been the best thing. This whole 3 movie Hobbit seems a bit excessive.

Maybe I'll be sold in the next couple of months though.

Dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24 2012, 05:07 AM   #1093
mswood
Rear Admiral

First tv spot released, it's up on youtube, at deadline, and at theonering.net

AS to the running time anyone who thinks you can tell a good version of the Hobbit in two and a half hours in really not paying that much attention to the book.

The book is short because there is almost no dialogue and the writing flies through the narrative.

If you look at the time it takes Tolkien to write passages that are similar between the two works, LOTR basically takes three to four times the length to describe similar events.

Though Bilbo and Frodo's quest are different, I believe they take the same amount of actual time once they start. And thats without ever addressing whats up with Gandalf and the larger events in the world.

Now they could have filmed a version without much real dialogue, they could really compress the time, or they could spend up the motion of events like animated films often do, but that would certainly be a different type of movie. From the get go Jackson said he wanted the Hobbit to be set his take of the Tolkien universe. Ie be done in a style similar to LoTR.
Old October 24 2012, 06:39 AM   #1094
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I honestly understand what you are getting at. That said, three films still seems bloated.

Let me tell you this:
My mother read the Hobbit when us kids were younger. She enjoyed the break from reality and would find herself lost in the book - during the short times us kids were napping. A few years ago when this project was being bandied about in the Hollywood news bits, she was eager to see it, and eager to know that the people behind the Lord of the Rings films were making it.

When I told her it was three films, she was actually upset and didn't want to see it anymmore. She thought it was ridiculous. Honestly, I think her view might be shared by the "non-nerd, non fanboy" type who just wants to go and see the Hobbit put on screen, something where thse people can pay their ticket and get a complete story.

The point is that, while you are correct in what you are saying, you are also missing the point. I don't know if the whole three-film thing has even sunk in for the casual Hobbit fans, but it will eventually, and, when it does, this group of people (these casual fans generally familiar with the Hobbit story but uninterested in the actual production-aspects of Hollywood films) will, at best, be scratching their heads - not bubbling with enthusiasm, and, at worst, they'll see it for what it may be, a safe money-grab on the part of Jackson.
Old October 24 2012, 06:51 AM   #1095
Skywalker
Admiral

I still think two films would have been ideal. Three just seems like they were all sitting around a table one day and someone said "Hey, why only make two billion dollars when we could make three billion dollars?"
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote