A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old October 6 2012, 06:08 PM   #1
LtChange
Commander

ENTERPRISE on Blu-Ray OFFICIAL Discussion Thread

Mike Sussman ‏@Mike_Sussman Trippin' down memory lane: just wrapped up an interview for the @StarTrek Enterprise season 1 Blu-Ray set coming next year. #itsabouttime

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; February 26 2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: poster's request
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 06:13 PM   #2
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: The bird is out: ENTERPRISE on blu-ray

I'm dismayed that this is coming out before DS9 or Voyager but I suppose ENT doesn't need as much remastering.
Old October 6 2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ It doesn't need any remastering at all. ENT was made, from the get-go, to be airable in HD.

In fact: All four seasons are available in 1080p HD right now from the iTunes Store.
Old October 6 2012, 09:57 PM   #4
Dream
Admiral

There is some logic to releasing the three shows that have the Enterprise in them first. Anyone know if Enterprise sold better than DS9 and VOY when the seasons were were first released on dvd?
Old October 6 2012, 10:01 PM   #5
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 6 2012, 10:42 PM   #6
Skywalker
Admiral

Zombie Redshirt wrote: View Post
I'm dismayed that this is coming out before DS9 or Voyager but I suppose ENT doesn't need as much remastering.
It makes sense to me. ENT is already HD-ready (though I think the CGI was rendered at 720p rather than 1080p), might as well throw it out there and bring in some additional revenue to help fund the more expensive efforts that DS9 and (especially) VOY will be.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:55 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral

How long until the DS9 and VOY fans start a bashing the ENT board after hearing this news?
Old October 6 2012, 11:14 PM   #8
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

It's long overdue, given Battlestar Galactica and (later) Stargate have been out in HD for years.

I wonder if they'll create any special new extra features? In-universe ones, besides slightly more candid behind the scenes docs. Like a guide to ENT-era starships with animated CG walkthroughs and perhaps some way of illustrating pre-Federation history, the show basically got cut short right in the middle of? Whether that's what played out in the Pocket Books novels or some other road map of ideas, the new showrunner(s) had planned to cover.

Maybe some alternative title sequence music to opt in or out of, using seamless branching.

I imagine a Blu ray set will probably be timed to coincide with the new film. Seems like an obvious marketing strategy to take.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; October 6 2012 at 11:31 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:27 PM   #9
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
How long until the DS9 and VOY fans start a bashing the ENT board after hearing this news?

Hey that's me... you mean I'm not supposed to be posting here?!
Old October 6 2012, 11:32 PM   #10
Dream
Admiral

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
I imagine a Blu ray set will probably be timed to coincide with the new film. Seems like an obvious marketing strategy to take.
Yeah, ENT S1 and TNG S3 on BD should both be coming out close to STXII. CBS should have all their Enterprise bases covered!
Old October 6 2012, 11:39 PM   #11
ChristopherPike
Rear Admiral

By the time CBS get to TNG S6, ENT will have come and gone. DS9 will undoubtably be up next. There's a two-parter that year which visited the station, and had Alexander Siddig turn up on the D. So I expect the Digital Restoration team will already be hip deep in film rolls of space station model footage by then.

I expect bean counters have worked out ENT had to be pushed up the schedule, given its outlay is a fraction of that needed to rescan film elements for 80s and 90s Star Trek. Paramount were probably already doing that from the 2000s, storing it as hard drives, before editing and downscaling everything for SD. It probably buys CBS time to look at the rest of TNG and move onto DS9. Padding out the release schedule with ENT.

Wouldn't surprise me if they starting thinking about a Blu ray Animated Series release, and other things to sell, (Director's Edition movies perhaps?) then plough it back into funding enhancing the remaining seasons stuck in SD video.

Last edited by ChristopherPike; October 6 2012 at 11:54 PM.
ChristopherPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:50 PM   #12
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

ChristopherPike wrote: View Post
It's long overdue, given Battlestar Galactica and (later) Stargate have been out in HD for years.

I wonder if they'll create any special new extra features? In-universe ones, besides slightly more candid behind the scenes docs. Like a guide to ENT-era starships with animated CG walkthroughs and perhaps some way of illustrating pre-Federation history, the show basically got cut short right in the middle of? Whether that's what played out in the Pocket Books novels or some other road map of ideas, the new showrunner(s) had planned to cover.

Maybe some alternative title sequence music to opt in or out of, using seamless branching.

Yes! Brand new special features are under development

See article here: http://ent.trekcore.com/bluray/10062...blurumors.html
Old October 7 2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

A logical decision. ENT was filmed and aired in HD. There's no need to go back and do any restoration work to get the series up to HD standard. It's already done. Aside from creating new bonus material, putting together the blu-ray releases should be pretty quick and straight forward (at least, compared to the extensive work being done on TNG). And while ENT wasn't wildly popular like TNG, it may be able to ride the wave of success that the new TNG releases have and could also be a good marketing tool if they time the release with the next Trek film.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 08:51 PM   #14
Harvey
Admiral

I probably won't purchase this, but the new extra features might warrant a rental, depending on how candid and in-depth they are.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 09:08 PM   #15
mswood
Rear Admiral

Plus hopefully they can ue that release window as extra time to get a jump on doing DS9 (sorry but I really want DS9, will buy any Trek released, but DS9 is visually my favorite).