Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 5 2012, 06:29 PM   #31
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes Season 5 DVD problems

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
The game situation is about to get really "interesting" with the new "locked" consoles (designed to prevent buying used games and/or sharing games with friends)
Wow. That should kill the game rental market too.
If it happens. It hasn't been mentioned as a "feature" of the Wii U, and I doubt the PS4/Xbox 720 will do it. Maybe years from now, but honestly I think the backlash would be too much for them, especially since they can easily just screw people with online passes instead, which still works and doesn't get the amount of backlash that blocking used games would get.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:02 PM   #32
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

The game situation is about to get really "interesting" with the new "locked" consoles (designed to prevent buying used games and/or sharing games with friends)
Very possibly. The end state the game makers (and most other IP property right holders) want to achieve is that you never own what you bought. You buy a certain amount of use of the material, in effect renting it.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2012, 09:04 PM   #33
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
If it happens. It hasn't been mentioned as a "feature" of the Wii U, and I doubt the PS4/Xbox 720 will do it. Maybe years from now, but honestly I think the backlash would be too much for them, especially since they can easily just screw people with online passes instead, which still works and doesn't get the amount of backlash that blocking used games would get.
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2012/0...20-used-games/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...s-report-says/

Read it and weep.
Old October 5 2012, 11:10 PM   #34
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

That's just madness.

What about if you use (I don't play games, but I have children who I forget to feed most of the time.) an emulator on your PC? You might have to buy an even stronger pc down the line to keep up with the specs of the ps4, but with a few hundred megs of illegal software, your pc can already process playstation 2 and 3 disks illegally quite well and without fret of big brother screwing you over... Which supplys a place to play second hand games and eventually once you get sick of their bullshit, Microsoft and Sony's fist hand games after you sell their stupid consol to buy a joystick adapter for your pc.

There's this old joke I love.

Q: How many copys of Microsoft Word did Microsoft sell in China in 2002?

A: One.

You go onto Youtube and there's people showing you how to crack open your game consol and solder shit into it to make it useful and less of an asshole like what they should have done with 3PO between Revenge of the Sith and New Hope.

I have too much rage inside to play video games, so I'm not talking about me, but the only people with the surplus money and time to play these games PROPPERLY are drug dealers and they're already going to jail if they can survive the small arms fire when the cops break their door down.

First Ammedment.

If the content of a game can be classified as free speach, then it must be illegal to charge for it?

How long does a copyright on a game last?

Does some *&^% like Atari still hold the rights to Pong?

When does Pong enter the public domain?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 09:22 PM   #35
Luminus
Fleet Captain

Noname Given wrote: View Post
Microsoft can kill your X-Box anytime they choose if it's connected to the internet. Don't kid yourself.
A nonsense claim with no evidence to back it up. You might as well say they can kill my computer, while you're at it. I am using Windows, after all. If they are capable of and willing to do something like that, then there's nothing stopping them from coming to your door and taking back the physical products by force, either. You did register your products, didn't you? You paid with a credit card, didn't you?

I don't live paranoid and neither should you.

"The Face of Boe they called me."
Luminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:11 PM   #36
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

You bought the physical storage medium. The disk. The information on the disk is not yours. You have rented a small number of permissions to use that information within a narrow set of boundaries and take one step out of those boundaries, like say to make more copies than permitted under that license, which may even be one copy, will give them reason to sick stormtroopers on you.

Old October 8 2012, 05:20 AM   #37
TemporalFlux
Commodore

One last note to this discussion that made the news rounds today. Is the U.S. Supreme Court about to lay the ground work so that you can't re-sell *anything* you buy? Could be. The appellate courts leading up to this decision have ruled that you should not be able to re-sell due to violation of copyright.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you...ril-2012-10-04

eBay has written a friend-of-the-court brief against such a decision citing that such a move would devastate U.S. commerce (specifically resulting in eBay practically going out of business).
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2012, 09:53 PM   #38
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

^The implications for that are obvious. They get their foot in the door with the loophole, then demand the same rights over domestic produce (if any is left after rights holders offshore all manufacturing to take advantage of the loophole).
Old October 8 2012, 10:27 PM   #39
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What are you talking about?

The Supreme Court is deciding about whether they want to send you, yes you personally Ian, to jail for buying second hand records, using ebay or having a garage sale and you're talking about some conspiracy where evil foreigners take over America?

Old October 12 2012, 12:25 AM   #40
TemporalFlux
Commodore

And to get this thread back on track, it looks like Canada saves the day again -

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Ave...2-Part-1/17600

Hopefully Canada will also do a bluray for the complete season two.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2012, 12:53 AM   #41
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Now if only they'll release the 2nd half of the season...Of course, the US release would also be screwed up by the ep lineup switch...