RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,901
Posts: 5,387,394
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 626
Newest member: teriankhoka

TrekToday headlines

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 1 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
BruntFCA
Commander
 
BruntFCA's Avatar
 
Location: A Mile High
Babylon 5 S2

I'm interested in getting into Babylon 5 but I don't want to buy a show I have never seen so I checked my local library and all they have available for some reason is season 2. So my question is can I watch S2 without seeing S1 first? Thanks.
__________________
"Well, I come from a long, long line of smartasses. Smartass is allergic to dumbass. It’s actually a physical allergy, as in you’re repulsed by dumbasses."
Josh Homme
BruntFCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Babylon 5 S2

The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Though I wouldn't recommend it, you should probably be OK going straight into season 2. The way it starts is something of a soft reboot anyway, so you should get caught up fairly quickly.

Unfortunately one of the major mysteries of the first season ("why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line?") gets pretty much laid out within the first two or three episodes. That may somewhat hinder your enjoyment of season one if/when you get around to watching it later. It might also dampen the resonance of some future revelations as you won't have experienced all the groundwork from S1.

Honestly, I'd advise tracking down a way to view the first season by some other means if at all possible. I know it used to be on Hulu, so you might still find it there or some other streaming or rental service like Netflix, LoveFilm etc.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Didn't AOL have the series on some sort of streaming service?
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
TemporalFlux
Commodore
 
TemporalFlux's Avatar
 
Location: The End of Time
Re: Babylon 5 S2

During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral
 
zakkrusz's Avatar
 
Location: The Wired
Re: Babylon 5 S2

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.
Same here, and It worked out fine. I got hooked on the show starting with the first episode of season 2, which when I went to buy the show, I thought was season 1 and was surprised to learn there was whole season I had missed.

Although, as mentioned season 2 starts with what's essentially a reboot so there will be no trouble starting with season 2. Season 1 was also the weakest season in my opinion, not bad by any means but the rest were better, so starting at season 2 might also be advantageous.
__________________
"There are few wars between good and evil; most are between one good and another good."
—Yang Wen-li-Legend of the Galactic Heroes
zakkrusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Harvey wrote: View Post
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
Season 5 is worst.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
MPH
Rear Admiral
 
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain
Re: Babylon 5 S2

No you don't infact I have never even seen S1.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain
 
Distorted Humor's Avatar
 
Location: Z'ha'dum
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.
Beat me to it, Season 1 can be rough in spots though, looks real rough compared to seasons 2-4
__________________
In the Marmalade forest (forest), between the make believe trees, in a cottage cheese cottage! Lives Albie, (Albie,) Albie, (Albie,) Albie the Racist Dragon...
Distorted Humor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
Season 5 is worst.
Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."
__________________
"This begs explanation." - de Forest Research on Star Trek

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Elemental
Rear Admiral
 
Elemental's Avatar
 
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
View Elemental's Twitter Profile
Re: Babylon 5 S2

I personally think a person would be doing themselves a disservice by skipping season 1.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Harvey wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
Season 5 is worst.
Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."
Bloody hell, what is it about Babylon 5 threads that they always end up becoming a discussion of the flaws and merits of season 5? It's like the Godwin's law of science fiction television!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Babylon 5 S2

Harvey wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Harvey wrote: View Post
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
Season 5 is worst.
Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."
Yeah but overall S1 was moving into a direction and Sleeping in Light is something that has little to do with S5 of B5.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: Babylon 5 S2

I think the first half of Season 5 is rough, but the second half...heartbreaking... a must watch.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babylon 5

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:33 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.