Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 1 2012, 09:34 PM   #1
BruntFCA
Commander

Babylon 5 S2

I'm interested in getting into Babylon 5 but I don't want to buy a show I have never seen so I checked my local library and all they have available for some reason is season 2. So my question is can I watch S2 without seeing S1 first? Thanks.
Old October 1 2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 S2

The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:20 PM   #3
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Though I wouldn't recommend it, you should probably be OK going straight into season 2. The way it starts is something of a soft reboot anyway, so you should get caught up fairly quickly.

Unfortunately one of the major mysteries of the first season ("why did the Minbari surrender at the battle of the line?") gets pretty much laid out within the first two or three episodes. That may somewhat hinder your enjoyment of season one if/when you get around to watching it later. It might also dampen the resonance of some future revelations as you won't have experienced all the groundwork from S1.

Honestly, I'd advise tracking down a way to view the first season by some other means if at all possible. I know it used to be on Hulu, so you might still find it there or some other streaming or rental service like Netflix, LoveFilm etc.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Harvey
Admiral

Didn't AOL have the series on some sort of streaming service?

Old October 1 2012, 10:23 PM   #5
TemporalFlux
Commodore

During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.
TemporalFlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1 2012, 11:16 PM   #6
zakkrusz
Rear Admiral

TemporalFlux wrote: View Post
During its original first run on syndicated tv, I started with season two. I did not have the opportunity to watch season one for the first time until after the season three finale.

Still turned out to be a big fan of Babylon 5.
Same here, and It worked out fine. I got hooked on the show starting with the first episode of season 2, which when I went to buy the show, I thought was season 1 and was surprised to learn there was whole season I had missed.

Although, as mentioned season 2 starts with what's essentially a reboot so there will be no trouble starting with season 2. Season 1 was also the weakest season in my opinion, not bad by any means but the rest were better, so starting at season 2 might also be advantageous.
Old October 2 2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.
Old October 6 2012, 09:35 AM   #8
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
The show is very good at bringing viewers up to speed with relevant plot information in dialogue, so you should be able to jump in without any problem. Season one does have its moments, however, but it is by far the weakest year of the series and the least essential when it comes to the program's serialized elements.
Season 5 is worst.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
MPH
Rear Admiral

No you don't infact I have never even seen S1.
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Distorted Humor
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Hulu.com is your friend. Looks like most of Season 1 is there.
Beat me to it, Season 1 can be rough in spots though, looks real rough compared to seasons 2-4
Old October 6 2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Season 5 is worst.
Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."

Old October 6 2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Elemental
Rear Admiral

View Elemental's Twitter Profile

I personally think a person would be doing themselves a disservice by skipping season 1.
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:29 PM   #13
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Season 5 is worst.
Nah. It's flawed, but it's never as consistently rough as the first season, which doesn't have an episode that approaches the satisfaction of "Sleeping in Light."
Bloody hell, what is it about Babylon 5 threads that they always end up becoming a discussion of the flaws and merits of season 5? It's like the Godwin's law of science fiction television!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 11:52 PM   #14
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Season 5 is worst.
Yeah but overall S1 was moving into a direction and Sleeping in Light is something that has little to do with S5 of B5.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

I think the first half of Season 5 is rough, but the second half...heartbreaking... a must watch.