RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,584
Posts: 5,515,266
Members: 25,156
Currently online: 425
Newest member: jerrlaro

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 6 2012, 04:15 AM   #1
los2188
Commander
 
los2188's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
Different Generations uniforms?

I just read about uniforms that were supposed to be used in the movie Generations, but were not. Does anyone know why? Are there any pictures of those uniforms?? Learn something new everyday...wow.
__________________
Darling, you remain as aesthetically pleasing as the first day we met. I believe I am the most fortunate sentient in this sector of the galaxy.
los2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 04:51 AM   #2
ScottDS
Captain
 
ScottDS's Avatar
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

You can see an illustration of them here. The Generations action figures also featured the crew wearing these uniforms (most likely due to the long lead time when it comes to merchandise).

I've heard a couple of reasons for why these weren't used. As the caption on the second photo says, Rick Berman and Co. were concerned about introducing too many new elements at once. On the other hand, Ron Moore mentions on the DVD commentary that costume designer Robert Blackman was concerned about how the series uniforms would hold up on the big screen.
ScottDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 05:15 AM   #3
sbk1234
Rear Admiral
 
sbk1234's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

Personally, I'm glad they didn't go this way. I love the First Contact uniforms much more. Although I think they would have made pretty good dress uniforms.
__________________
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:03 AM   #4
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

ScottDS wrote: View Post
(most likely due to the long lead time when it comes to merchandise).
Exactly why.


Playmates uniform comparison by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Worf in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Seasons 3-7 uniform, Data and LaForge in the unused "Generations" movie uniforms and O'Brien in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" uniform.

The chest flap was supposed to be reminiscent, for movie audiences, of the chest flap seen on the 23rd century maroon uniforms of the "Generations" prologue.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:08 AM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral
 
C.E. Evans's Avatar
 
Location: Ferguson, Missouri, USA
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

Ironically, those uniforms had elements from both TOS (lower sleeve rank stripes) and TNG (rank pips)
__________________
"Don't sweat the small stuff--it makes you small-minded..."
C.E. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
ScottDS wrote: View Post
(most likely due to the long lead time when it comes to merchandise).
Exactly why.


Playmates uniform comparison by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Worf in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Seasons 3-7 uniform, Data and LaForge in the unused "Generations" movie uniforms and O'Brien in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" uniform.

The chest flap was supposed to be reminiscent, for movie audiences, of the chest flap seen on the 23rd century maroon uniforms of the "Generations" prologue.
Are Worf's trousers slightly different at the bottom to the other two Generations figures or is that just a trick of the light?
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 01:46 PM   #7
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

They should have just used the TNG series uniforms for GEN, and debuted the new grey uniforms in FC.

Having them mix TNG and DS9 uniforms in GEN was very distracting.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:03 PM   #8
SonicRanger
Rear Admiral
 
SonicRanger's Avatar
 
Location: Sheffield, England
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

I've also heard a rumour that the GEN uniforms were stolen.
__________________
"STAR TREK is... Action - Adventure - Science Fiction."
-- Gene Roddenberry, 1964, top of the first page of his original pitch and outline for Star Trek
SonicRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 03:05 PM   #9
StewMc
Commodore
 
StewMc's Avatar
 
Location: Caldos IV
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

I believe the aborted uniforms were used for one day of filming, infact possibly the first day of filming (at least the first where someone in a 24th century Starfleet uniform appeared), see below



All though the quality is horrendous in places, you can clearly see La Forge wearing the uniform 17 seconds in. One could theorise that this particular scene was cut because they never went back and reshot it with Geordi in the normal uniform.

There is one other place where I believe the uniform pops up (albeit slightly modified): in the Voyager episode "Coda" as the uniform of Janeway's "father". In this case the collar has been removed, and it actually works quite well as a transition uniform between the modified movie-era uniforms seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise" and the uniforms of TNG Season 1. Shame they got the comm badge wrong though!

StewMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:28 PM   #10
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
 
Allyn Gibson's Avatar
 
Location: South Pennsyltucky
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

Dream wrote: View Post
They should have just used the TNG series uniforms for GEN, and debuted the new grey uniforms in FC.
They really couldn't use the TNG uniforms on screen because they were five years old and were very worn. (For similar reasons, that's why the sets were lit so darkly -- that hid how worn down the sets were.)

StewMc wrote: View Post
I believe the aborted uniforms were used for one day of filming, infact possibly the first day of filming (at least the first where someone in a 24th century Starfleet uniform appeared)
Not the first day of filming. The first two weeks of filming were the Enterprise-B scenes, the filming of which overlapped with "All Good Things..." and a week break for the TNG cast. Otherwise, yes, the new uniforms were used for at least a day on set.
__________________
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2012, 10:39 PM   #11
Dream
Admiral
 
Dream's Avatar
 
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Dream wrote: View Post
They should have just used the TNG series uniforms for GEN, and debuted the new grey uniforms in FC.
They really couldn't use the TNG uniforms on screen because they were five years old and were very worn. (For similar reasons, that's why the sets were lit so darkly -- that hid how worn down the sets were.)
They could only afford to make new DS9 style uniforms for Picard and Data. Frakes had to borrow Avery Brooks' uniform which is why it looked too small for him, and LeVar Burton had to wear Colm Meaney's uniform.

Worf, Troi, and Crusher all wore the TNG series uniforms for the entire movie. They looked fine. They actually asked Dorn which uniform he wanted to wear in GEN and he picked the series version.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 04:06 AM   #12
sbk1234
Rear Admiral
 
sbk1234's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

For what it's worth, I had no problem with them wearing both uniforms in that film at the same time. In the real military there are multiple uniforms being used at once. It brought another layer which - in my humble opinion - added to the "reality" of the film.
__________________
In all the history of the world, a riot has NEVER broken out at a Sci-Fi convention.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 05:13 AM   #13
los2188
Commander
 
los2188's Avatar
 
Location: North Carolina
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

I think that's silly. Another one of those..."The Star Trek fans are too stupid or too demanding to accept changes.." moments. It's a shame they didn't use the new uniforms then. I kind of like them, but I will admit that I like the grey uniforms much more. I wish I could see what they looked like on one of them where the video quality isn't crappy.
__________________
Darling, you remain as aesthetically pleasing as the first day we met. I believe I am the most fortunate sentient in this sector of the galaxy.
los2188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Kronos
Admiral
 
Kronos's Avatar
 
Location: Running with the Badgers
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

They look good, from what one can gather, certainly better then the grey uniforms that look like they would be hot even in the dead of winter.
__________________
Now I can breathe and I feel grace rush over me.
Kronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7 2012, 12:44 PM   #15
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral
 
Rarewolf's Avatar
 
Location: Devon, England
Re: Different Generations uniforms?

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
ScottDS wrote: View Post
(most likely due to the long lead time when it comes to merchandise).
Exactly why.


Playmates uniform comparison by Therin of Andor, on Flickr
Worf in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Seasons 3-7 uniform, Data and LaForge in the unused "Generations" movie uniforms and O'Brien in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine" uniform.

The chest flap was supposed to be reminiscent, for movie audiences, of the chest flap seen on the 23rd century maroon uniforms of the "Generations" prologue.
Are Worf's trousers slightly different at the bottom to the other two Generations figures or is that just a trick of the light?
It says 'Worf in "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Seasons 3-7 uniform' so yes it is different.


los2188 wrote: View Post
I think that's silly. Another one of those..."The Star Trek fans are too stupid or too demanding to accept changes.." moments. It's a shame they didn't use the new uniforms then. I kind of like them, but I will admit that I like the grey uniforms much more.
I would have thought at the time they were making changes for changes sake, and that it would have seemed a step backwards towards the earlier movies. Its less likely the grey uniforms would have been needed had they been used, the DS9 uniforms were only temporary.

I suppose you have to wonder if they'd have carried over to Voyager (as the then current uniforms), or been bought in to DS9 (as the greys were later)
__________________
"Weaselling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals - except the weasels" Homer Jay Simpson
Rarewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.